PDA

View Full Version : Elecronic ant repellents

bopdude
05-04-2008, 16:21
Hi all, seems we are having an Ant problem, it's not that there are hundreds of them but before it gets out of control I would like to stop it. I've done a bit of Googling and seen some of the devices etc, what I would like to know if any of the CFers have used any, or anything else, and what success you've had.

Thanks for any ( helpful ) replies ;)

papa smurf
05-04-2008, 16:31
i had an ant infestation in my chimney breast ,nothing worked untill i tried nippon gel ,you squeeze a dollop next to where they walk they cant carry it away [its a gel] so they eat it and it kills them ,then more ants come and take the bodies back to the nest for food which kills more and so on and on . http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK260&q=nippon+ant+gel&um=1&ie=UTF-8

homealone
05-04-2008, 16:48
yeah, another vote for Nippon, here. It has done the job for us before. You just have to keep baiting for a while to make sure the whole colony is 'treated'. ;)

bopdude
05-04-2008, 16:53
Thanks for the replies, one more question, when you say they eat it and die, am I looking at having ant bodies strewn all over the place ? I still would like to repel rather than kill, if possible :shrug:

homealone
05-04-2008, 17:00
Thanks for the replies, one more question, when you say they eat it and die, am I looking at having ant bodies strewn all over the place ? I still would like to repel rather than kill, if possible :shrug:

afaik the idea is they take it back to the nest & feed the other ants - they then die in the nest, including the queen, which kills the colony ....

papa smurf
05-04-2008, 17:01

no they clean the bodies back to the nest . i only used 1 tube just kept laying it down and they completly dissapeared[ there was a little wiff from the fire place for a few days but nothing much.

bopdude
05-04-2008, 17:22
Thanks lads, sounds like it works, I'm just not keen on wiping them out :( after all's said and done, they're only an inconvenience :shrug:

papa smurf
05-04-2008, 17:34
Thanks lads, sounds like it works, I'm just not keen on wiping them out :( after all's said and done, they're only an inconvenience :shrug:

if you dont they'll get into your food cupboards ,crawl over your dining table,you find em in the sugar ,the cornflakes ,the flour ,its them or you mate

homealone
05-04-2008, 17:41

there are several ideas for repelling them using 'non lethal' means, including vinegar, peppermint oil, cayenne pepper & even lines drawn with chalk, but I've no idea how effective they are???

- I'm not sure about the electronic repellers, either, but I think I'd try a cheaper option, first ??

bopdude
05-04-2008, 17:42
if you dont they'll get into your food cupboards ,crawl over your dining table,you find em in the sugar ,the cornflakes ,the flour ,its them or you mate

Mmmm, put it like that, I'll do the biz :tu: