PDA

View Full Version : Slow Speeds sheffield

terryb
04-04-2008, 19:34
Another speed thread, but im truly getting peeved with VM.

Over the last 3 days my internet speed and reliability has gone down hill big time!
surfing the web has become impossible.
Having spent 40 minutes on the phone to tech support (premium rate of course) i still have the same problem, they just said it was my equipment, despite me plugging two laptops and a desktop pc directly into the cable modem and doing speed tests, im supposed to be on 20meg but only getting 5, some times even less than 1 meg!

I know vm are doing all this traffic management and capping but this is taking the micky a little. i pay for 20 meg and should get. plus it isnt our fault that theyve over subscribed their customers and we the customer shouldnt have to sacrifice a service we pay a lot of money for.

are their any vm techies on here that could assist as im about ready for telling them where to shove the modem! hehehe

terryb
06-04-2008, 00:00
having spent ages on the phone again im left with the advice that there must be something wrong with my equipment.

very frustrating, apparently the signal levels are fine and i am not losing any packets.
ive gone as far as formatting my laptop to factory preset, so there is nothing else running on the laptop, ive plugged this directly into the modem and still experience very slow speeds, in some cases 512k.

im at the end of my tether lol any help would be greatly appreciated.

ginge51
06-04-2008, 00:03
According to the Virgin Media webpage,It's a national problem.
http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/summary.do

terryb
06-04-2008, 00:32
Thanks,
having read that site it only mentions slow speeds on the newsgroups (of which i can never connect to anyway lol)

terryb
07-04-2008, 14:32
Update,

After yet another round with vm tech support im still no further on, they insist that my equipment is the cause of the problem. :mad:

id be very greatful if someone could have a peek at the info below and tell me if they can spot anything wrong.:dunce:

i know enough about computers to suss out system problems but im not very clear on connection stats on the cable modems.

Name
WebSTAR EPC2100R2
Modem Serial Number

Cable Modem MAC Address
(i removed this for obvious reasons)
Hardware Version
Software Version
v2.0.2r1256-060303
Receive Power Level
-1.6 dBmV
Transmit Power Level
52.5 dBmV
Cable Modem Status
Operational

Downstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal coming from the network to your cable modem.

Downstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Downstream Frequency
339000000 Hz
Modulation
256QAM
Bit Rate
20480000 bits/sec
Power Level
-1.9 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio
35.6 dB

Upstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal being transmitted to the network from your cable modem.

Upstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Upstream Frequency
34000000 Hz
Modulation
16QAM
Bit Rate
768000 bits/sec
Power Level
52.5 dBmV
Cable Modem Status
Operational
IP Address

Current Time
--- --- -- --:--:-- ----
Time Since Last Reset
2 days 13h:33m:25s
Configuration File
cm-20480-768
Cable Modem Certificate
Installed

Time Not Established Error (4) ToD request sent- No Response received
Time Not Established Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Time Not Established Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...