PDA

View Full Version : A Brighter Uploading Future

deed02392
04-04-2008, 14:39
I literally just this second got off the phone with an official representing Virgin Media. I had sent them an email a while back about how I'd like to see a higher upload speed available on the broadband package. After receiving several 'automated' emails about how I need to check my firewall and do some speed tests to see why I'm not getting my advertised broadband speed, it appears as though someone with half a brain has actually got a look at my email.

They telephoned me up just to let me know that while of course they don't have the facilities to take action upon just a single customers suggestion, they promised that if in the future more customers were requesting such a package, that they would be able to take the proposal more seriously. She thanked me deeply for the time I had taken in trying to get the feedback into VM.

So I am now imploring all customers here that would also like to see an increase in the broadband upload speed package, or some sort of alternative package such as a 10Mb down, 10Mb up, to get on the phone or email VM and request it! It will probably require a bit of patience, as half the trolls on the other end of the email will think you are complaining about your broadband speed after reading the first 3 words of your email, but after being called just now, I believe there is hope after all :)

We as consumers of this business need to be able to have the motive to ask for what we want, if indeed we expect to get what we want from VM.

Go http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/contact/complaint-feedback.php if you would like to telephone someone and leave your feedback, or:

https://help2.virginmedia.com/assets/customer_zone/complaintformCZ.html to go directly to the email feedback form.

Thanks in advanced!

haydnwalker
04-04-2008, 15:00
Good idea in theory but... it will take a whole load of VM customers to want this for it to happen. And many of them don't frequent this forum.

I'm quite happy with my upload speed...2mbit down / 256kbit up is plenty for me :)

I don't think 10mbit down/10mbit will EVER happen - cos its not cost effective.

They might consider 10mbit down/1mbit up (at the most likely).

I do see some peoples points. Running web servers etc. But if you want proper speeds for websites then, pay for hosting?

Zain
04-04-2008, 15:43
^ its good for people who love to do 1:1 on torrents....thanks for the info!

weesteev
04-04-2008, 15:49
Upload is the most expensive part of the network at the moment, so any major jump in upstream speed is unlikely until full upstream channel bonding on DOCSIS 3 is certified. I cant see Virgin supplying more than 1-1.5mb upload on residential connections as it is not cost effective compared to the amount of customers who would actively pay for such a service.

Rest assured it is always something that networks are looking at, I think the second poster is probably spot on that it will take many customers requesting this for it to happen, but there is just no demand for faster upload at this stage.

If you dont want to wait for the new DOCSIS 3 products then the fastest upload your going to see is with an ADSL2+ provider unfortunately. Faster upload speeds have been talked about for years but the comapny has no money to build out this area of its network.

Hope some if this info is useful

thebarron
04-04-2008, 15:53
A higher upload speed would benefit Video conf calls and Skype so I would be in favour of that 2Meg uploads min would be good!!

sjdigital
05-04-2008, 21:33
Does the Virgin Business Broadband offer a higher upload speed? The web site would seem to suggest that it's from 512 to 768 kbs but it isn't very specific, nor does it say whether traffic management applies there as well. Does anyone know if it does? All I want is a decent upload speed for my Slingbox and 4MB down/768kb up would do me nicely!

TraxData
05-04-2008, 21:39
Does the Virgin Business Broadband offer a higher upload speed? The web site would seem to suggest that it's from 512 to 768 kbs but it isn't very specific, nor does it say whether traffic management applies there as well. Does anyone know if it does? All I want is a decent upload speed for my Slingbox and 4MB down/768kb up would do me nicely!

Business BB has no STM what so ever and its 10/768 (and 20/1 when they decide to push that config out)

50mbit has a 1.5mbit upload (yea, terrific ratio, no?) they moved it upto 5mbit at once (with requests from people on the trial)...but it seems upon release its being shoved back to 1.5mbit....so yea, unfair, as always.

10/10 symetric will never happen with VM, if you want that, go to france where you can get 100 symetric for under £100/month

P.S At one time during the trial there was a proposal of doing 3 different tiers for the XXXL system with the standard having 1.5mbit upload, second having 5mbit and the 3rd having 10mbit...but that got scrapped as far as im aware (if it hasnt, the prices were £47, £60 and £85)

AbyssUnderground
05-04-2008, 21:39
Since DOCSIS3 can do a lot higher upload speeds I don't see why it shouldn't be offered. Afterall, you can get Be* with up to 2.5Mbps upload bandwidth pretty cheaply with no throttling on its use, plus static IP's etc.

The cable network is more robust and can offer better speeds. Why they are being so crappy with the upload speeds is beyond me.

I agree with the OP when they say they should offer tiers where the upload bandwidth is higher simply for those who actually want it. For example, I'd be happy with a 2Mbps upload speed as well, but obviously the higher the better. I'd be more than willing to pay for it.

In work we recently enquired about a 10/10 line from ntl:telewest business and they wanted £1000 a month for it! In sweden you can get a 100/10 for the same price as the VM 4Mbps tier. Totally unlimited, static IP's, etc etc.

I just don't get it... Sure the UK's broadband infrastructure isn't as good as Sweden's for example but the capability is there. If they just offered it, people would pay for it if they wanted it, 99% guaranteed.

Just my 2p...

sjdigital
05-04-2008, 21:45
Business BB has no STM what so ever and its 10/768 (and 20/1 when they decide to push that config out)

That'll do for me :D

Kymmy
05-04-2008, 22:18

Yep, waiting for that config myself...though from what I was told when I recently signed up for BBB it'll be 20/1.5 but knowing VM/NTL it's best not to speculate till an official anouncement is made.

Kymmy

TraxData
05-04-2008, 22:21
Yep, waiting for that config myself...though from what I was told when I recently signed up for BBB it'll be 20/1.5 but knowing VM/NTL it's best not to speculate till an official anouncement is made.

Kymmy

The config is already on the headend server, infact there is 2, i believe TW areas get the 20/1 and NTL (pure) is 20/1.5 im not sure however.

Should be rolled out soon though once other rollouts are complete....hopefully.

Kymmy
06-04-2008, 11:04
The config is already on the headend server, infact there is 2, i believe TW areas get the 20/1 and NTL (pure) is 20/1.5 im not sure however.

Should be rolled out soon though once other rollouts are complete....hopefully.

ThanX TD

When I ordered the 10MB BBB package I did ask about timescales for the upgrade and was given the usual non-commital answer....though appended to that answer was the fact that she didn;t know if the 20mb speed would be an upgrade or a whole newly priced package.

Kymmy

blade85
06-04-2008, 11:50
i wouldnt mind even a 1meg upload tbh. The current 300something upload isnt the best for hosting games..lol. Glad they are upgrading it to 512 though with the 10 meg upgrades.

sjdigital
06-04-2008, 20:22
At the moment the WM web site shows two BBB deals - 4MB and 10MB at £30 and £40 respectively. They seem to suggest that the corresponding upload speeds are 512 and 768kbs. Does anyone know what will be the effect on these packages of the upgrade being rolled out on domestic BB from 4MB to 10MB? And do those prices include VAT? Often business tariffs exclude VAT

Kymmy
06-04-2008, 21:49
Still got to get my first bill (that should include the install charge) as I only had the install on the 5th March.

But from what I believe VAT is excluded and the 20mb upgrade isn;t at all documented.

Kymmy

sjdigital
06-04-2008, 22:13
Thanks. I suspected that VAT would be extra. I already have domestic cable internet so am planning just to change the subscription so there shouldn't be any install charge. Did they have any requirement for you to demonstrate that you are a business or don't they care?

TraxData
06-04-2008, 22:17
Thanks. I suspected that VAT would be extra. I already have domestic cable internet so am planning just to change the subscription so there shouldn't be any install charge. Did they have any requirement for you to demonstrate that you are a business or don't they care?

As long as you can pay they couldnt care less.

sjdigital
06-04-2008, 22:20
That'll do for me. Ta!

AmAtoL
06-04-2008, 22:28
Will they allow you to have Business and Residential at the same address ?

sjdigital
06-04-2008, 22:47
I wouldn't be having both and I'm working from home (which is true).

xspeedyx
06-04-2008, 23:47
Will they allow you to have Business and Residential at the same address ?

Nope as you can still only have one VM broadband connection at any one property

TraxData
07-04-2008, 00:13
Nope as you can still only have one VM broadband connection at any one property

That's untrue, if its under a different name you can have 2 seperate accounts at one property...some CS will tell you that you cant, but trust me, you can.

xspeedyx
07-04-2008, 11:09
I will repharse that your not meant to

sjdigital
07-04-2008, 11:32
Just spoke to the business folks and they confirmed no traffic management, 4MB/512kbs including phone line is £30 + VAT and an engineer will visit to install a new modem and the phone line at a cost of £50 (plus VAT presumably). They seem to be maintaining the distinction between the 4MB and 10MB packages even though 4MB is being upgraded to 10MB on the residential side. But 4MB is more than enough - it's upload without traffic management I'm after although the 10MB does offer 768kbs upload....hmmm!

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 ----------

Referring to the query about having both residential and business connections, is it possible to get the TV service on the business cable or is it a separate network?

PC_Arcade
07-04-2008, 16:46
I get business BB with a "free" phone line and have a VM account with TV and another "free" phone line

You have to have 2 accounts AFAIK

Kymmy
07-04-2008, 17:51

They did ask for my company registration number but I think that's more for credit checks than anything.

As far as free install think again.

I upgraded from Residential to business (and yes you can have both but I selected not to) and they still have to send around a site surveyor and still charge you for the install.

If you want the BB & Phone and have residential then install is £49, however if you don;t currently have residential and they need to pull through the cable and you don;t take the phone then the install charge can be anything upto £149. Also if you want a fixed IP (or 5 fixed IP's) then thats another one off fee of £10

I run my business from home but all the surveyor saw was my living room where my server/hubs are plonked behind the TV so he wouldn;t of known if I was a business or not though if he'd wanted I could have shown him the office, workshop and/or company registration documents...

Referring to the query about having both residential and business connections, is it possible to get the TV service on the business cable or is it a separate network?

The TV side would be via VM where the business BB is via NTL Business so seperate bills and network even though they'd both be coming in via the same cable.

Kymmy

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

Hey Traxdata, noticed the 20mb business on your miniprofile??? I thought they didn't have that available yet or are you on a managed line????

Kymmy

AmAtoL
07-04-2008, 19:06
That's untrue, if its under a different name you can have 2 seperate accounts at one property...some CS will tell you that you cant, but trust me, you can.

Hhmmm, thanks TraxData, I was under the impression that at one time you could have 2 no problem, but that was no longer the case due to the current billing arrangements.

The reason I'm asking, and anyone who reads my posts will know this, as I'm partial to a spot of gaming at night and there are 2 other PC's in use at the same time most likely gaming. It makes it very difficult for me to get a good game.

Another line would alleviate the problem from here, notwithstanding contention etc.

Would that plan be a goer or not is the bottom line ?

sjdigital
07-04-2008, 19:16
I've been in touch with ntl business today and they say that there is no problem having TV with VM, and internet and phone with ntl business as they are two separate businesses and ntl business can't provide TV as they don't have the distribution rights which are held by Virgin. Seems logical. But I wonder if you could get the freeview channels on the business broadband. Would they actually have two separate networks, or simply not offer the TV on the business network so as to keep the businesses separate. I can still get the freeview channels on my internet connection even though we cancelled the TV subscription last year as they never came to collect the STB. Would it work on the business cable I wonder????

Druchii
08-04-2008, 06:37
I've been in touch with ntl business today and they say that there is no problem having TV with VM, and internet and phone with ntl business as they are two separate businesses and ntl business can't provide TV as they don't have the distribution rights which are held by Virgin. Seems logical. But I wonder if you could get the freeview channels on the business broadband. Would they actually have two separate networks, or simply not offer the TV on the business network so as to keep the businesses separate. I can still get the freeview channels on my internet connection even though we cancelled the TV subscription last year as they never came to collect the STB. Would it work on the business cable I wonder????
Yep, it all comes down the same cable, regardless of "Network". (The business broadband just carries a higher priority than residential broadband, and the phone has a faster fault response time.)

sjdigital
08-04-2008, 06:57
Interesting :D Thanks!

ceedee
08-04-2008, 12:45
So transferring a residential BB over to NTL Business BB would cost £49 for the install then £35.25/month (incl vat) with no STM?

Any chance that VM could pull a complete blinder and announce that BBB will never be transPhormed too?
If they did that, I'd seriously consider paying the extra £10/mth!

I notice nobody's made any comment about whether it's planned for the 4Mb BBB to be upgraded to 10Mb (and likewise the 10Mb up to 20Mb).
Is it planned at all or will NTL Business retain the existing speeds?

sjdigital
08-04-2008, 13:53
When I spoke to the very helpful guy in ntl business he couldn't say whether or not the residential speed upgrade was going to be applied to the business side. I didn't think to ask him about Phorm though!