PDA

View Full Version : Problem moving modem to another computer.

bhunter
03-04-2008, 19:30
i have a new computer and cannot connect to the internet. I have virgin blueyonder broadband which is currently on my old computer but i want to move my mortorola modem to the new computer, since it was originally installed on my old computer by a cable engineer i have no instruction on how to install on my new computer. when i plug in my ethernet cable from my modem i get a message telling me i have limited or no connection as the network address could not be assigned

bobna
03-04-2008, 19:34
unplug the power wait 30 seconds then plug it back in, wait for the lights to settle and you should be on the internet on your new machine

deed02392
03-04-2008, 20:02
unplug the power wait 30 seconds then plug it back in, wait for the lights to settle and you should be on the internet on your new machine

Haha, a penny for everytime I heard that. I could even sense the frustration in it.

bhunter
03-04-2008, 20:07
no joy getting error virgin broadband setup could not renew your ip address for your network adapter (dhcp)

moaningmags
05-04-2008, 01:25
Don't use the disk!!

Turn off modem and comp
Turn modem on, get 4 solid lights
then turn comp on, when it's loaded up
just open internet explorer, the net should be there.

HTH

bobna
05-04-2008, 12:22
Haha, a penny for everytime I heard that. I could even sense the frustration in it.

yeah i know, but 9 / 10 times it works

MovedGoalPosts
05-04-2008, 13:26
Is the network connection on your PC active and enabled. Have a look under device manager and network connections. It might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

Generally everything should be set to auto, especially the TCP/IP properties of the card. Forgetting first the ability to browse, you need to know that the computer is connecting. Do all the lights illuminate on the modem, and does the PC get an IP connection? Have you tried a different ethernet cable just in case, and you are not using USB are you?

As stated above, every time you swap the device connected to the modem, only one can be connected at a time, you do need to reboot (power cycle) the modem.

punky
05-04-2008, 13:32
I have renamed the title to something more meaningful.

piggy
05-04-2008, 14:05

fair point,
but if i got a penny for every customer who didnt do it my pile would be bigger :p:

Jim R
05-04-2008, 19:00
I had the same problem about four years ago, eventually after a couple of days I rang ntl and was told not to use the installation disc and they connected me there and then from their end while we were on the phone
Jim R

whydoIneedatech
05-04-2008, 22:52
If its a new machine the is every chance his TCP/IP is disabled, especially if its Vista.