PDA

View Full Version : Are Virgin Media missing a trick?

ronald146m
02-04-2008, 19:43
Hi
Out there on the web, and on eBay, there are people offering subsidy codes 'From £1.99'.
If it's so easy to get hold of these codes, how come Virgin Media aren't offering to unlock phones from other networks?
:cool:

Cerberus
02-04-2008, 19:45
Having worked for 2 mobile phone companies, I would say that these subsidy codes are illegal. When you take out a contract for 12,18 or 24 months the cost of the handset is subsidised by your tariff. Mobile phone manufacturers supply these handsets to various networks for use on their network only. The only people that can unlock mobile handsets from the network, for use on other networks, are the network it was originally purchased on.

BenMcr
02-04-2008, 19:46
I doubt all the codes on e-bay are legal

Only Nokia phones are unlockable easily.

I think officially you are only allowed to unlock a phone if you are out of contract if you are on a pay monthly contract or after you have paid a certain amount of PAYG to a company

ronald146m
02-04-2008, 19:50
@Cerberus & BenMcr
Yes, I think that they must have access to the databases of the phone manufacturers.
So they're able to hack into the systems or slip someone a bribe maybe.

Cerberus
02-04-2008, 19:54
Just to note further. Mobile handsets (including Nokia) can be Perma locked to a specific network and no code will unlock it. In which case, if a customer for example leaves 3 and decides to go to O2 and wants to unlock their 3 handset for use with an O2 SIM then 3 must give them an unlocking code. However, if the handset is Perma locked then it is up to the network and/or mobile phone manufacturer to supply a handset that is unlocked and available for use on any network.

These people are illegal as are their practices and usually cost a lot more than what some networks would charge to have the handset unlocked after the minimum term contract has ended.

ronald146m
02-04-2008, 20:05
Yes, it's not illegal to unlock a phone - but these guys are probably doing something illegal to get hold of the codes.
As I understand it, when a phone is made, and if it's subsidized, then the subsidy code and the IEMI are stored by the phone makers.
Then, supposedly, the codes will only be released, if requested, to the network that subsidized it.

djmagnifique
02-04-2008, 21:58
I've had a look at these on ebay and to me everything looks ok, it's not illegal to unlock your phone if its on pay as you go or contract at any time. If you're on a contract you still have to make payments to whatever company for the minimum term of the contract so they still get there money. Pay as you go phones you have to pay for so they get there money (even though they will probably try to tell you that they get the phones cheaper from the manufacturer by locking them to their network)

The Subsidy codes being sold on ebay are only for motorola phones so I'd say that subsidy is just another name for unlock code. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsidy_Password) There is nothing illegal about making software that can generate the codes.

Almost any phone can have an unlock code generated from the IMEI, I know this because if you contact your current network and provided you meet required criteria they will give you a code and instructions on how to enter it.

I recently tried to get an unlock code for a samsung phone from o2 but they wouldnt issue one as the phone hadn't been used on the network for 12 months yet.

Or you can just go to any independant mobile phone repair shop and pay about £10 for them to unlock and test it for you.

ronald146m
02-04-2008, 22:36
@ djmagnifique

I don't agree with you entirely. If it was as simple as you suggest then we'd all be able to calculate our own codes by using software.

I think that with modern handsets the codes are not generated by the IEMI number. I believe that the codes are created using a different method then stored with the IEMI number by the manufacturers.

Cerberus
02-04-2008, 22:39
Trust me it's illegal. Only the network provider can provide an unlock code. if someone chooses to do it otherwise within contract, then they void the warranty of the handset and may breach the T's & C's of their network provider. (No names mentioned).

I am going to get this double checked tonight. Still got contacts at both O2 & 3. It matters for my own reference as well as anybody elses, but I am 99.9% sure that it's illegal.

By the way, is illegal a sick bird?

Taxi!!!!!!! :D

djmagnifique
02-04-2008, 23:09
Trust me it's illegal. Only the network provider can provide an unlock code. if someone chooses to do it otherwise within contract, then they void the warranty of the handset and may breach the T's & C's of their network provider. (No names mentioned).

If its illegal to unlock a mobile phone why do so many shops offer the service and publically advertise the service? wouldn't they get closed down for breaking the law?

I never mentioned anything about the warranty or the T&C's being affected by this and its up to the individual to look into this.

If you look in the right places you can get free unlocking software for most older phones, newer phones have tighter security codes in the firmware whick make it harder for software to be written but someone will always be able to do it eventually somewhere.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/unlock-mobile-phone#illegal explains that it is completely legal to unlock your phone.

ronald146m
02-04-2008, 23:23
@ djmagnifique

As you say, with modern handsets the code information is in the firmware.
So the software used needs a cable/clip and an interface box.
Then the firmware is read and processed so that the PC software can calculate a code.
But that is a different kettle of fish.

The guys on the web will supply codes remotely. They just need to know the IMEI, handset and network. So there's something different going on here.

It's difficult to find out about this subject. If you type 'unlock mobile phone' into Google you get 290,000 hits. That's everybody and his dog offering to sell subsidy codes!
:p:

yellowrose :)
03-04-2008, 22:41
You'll invalidate the warranty of the hamdset if you unlock phones via third party.

m419
13-04-2008, 22:38
Unlock ur phone for free on this site: www.trycktill.com (http://www.trycktill.com) and change the language to English by clicking the Union Jack then at the top of the screen are a list of options click on Unlock and then choose your network and manufacturer. This site cannot unlock Motorola or Sony Erriccson phones.

maiadestinee
20-05-2008, 12:49
I don't have idea.....

****:angel::o:******

Wicked_and_Crazy
20-05-2008, 13:03
I don't have idea.....

****:angel::o:******

:confused:

mentalis
20-05-2008, 13:24
Unlock ur phone for free on this site: www.trycktill.com (http://www.trycktill.com) and change the language to English by clicking the Union Jack then at the top of the screen are a list of options click on Unlock and then choose your network and manufacturer. This site cannot unlock Motorola or Sony Erriccson phones.

Nor, it would appear, Sagem.