PDA

View Full Version : Gahh!! Tearing my hair out!

r1ncewind
01-04-2008, 20:08
Hi all,

Just become a new VM subscriber (switching from BTBroadband) and the whole cable thing is new to me so please bare with me.

Ok, I have a number of devices I'd like to connect to my network and utilise the same cable connection but I'm having severe difficulties getting my router set up.

Firstly, my cable modem is a QAM256 I think they're called. I can connect directly via ethernet from my modem to my laptop (which I used to activate my service) to the internet with no problems. My laptop is a Dell with XP Pro SP3.

Now, whenever I try to put a router in between my modem and my laptop I simply cannot get an internet connection whatsoever. I have a Linksys WRT54GL router flashed with DD-WRT v23 SP2. No matter what I try, I simply cannot get it working.

Is there anyone here using the same configuration as me that can offer any advice on getting it working. As I say, I have a number of devices to get connected but if I'm struggling with just one device, things don't bode well for sorting out my other devices :(

Someone please help me, you're my only hope!

Raistlin
01-04-2008, 20:14
Ok.

1. :welcome:

2. Turn everything off.

3. Plug the modem into the router via Ethernet, and then the router into your PC via Ethernet.

4. Turn the modem on.

5. Wait until the lights stop flashing madly.

6. Turn the router on.

7. Wait until the lights stop flashing madly.

8. Turn the PC on.

All should now work.

If it doesn't you need to make sure that the router is set to receive an IP address automatically from the modem, and then check that your laptop is set to receive an IP address automatically from the router (and that the router is set to dish them out, obviously).

Once everything's working don't forget to set up the security on the router (wireless encryption, admin passwords, change the default device name, etc).

r1ncewind
01-04-2008, 21:51
Woohoo!! Result. Thanks very much.:nworthy:

I really can't believe it was THAT simple.:doh:

Now, to try the wireless. Maybe tomorrow. Will this need to be done each time I need to power cycle either my router or modem?

diddy1
01-04-2008, 22:20
No it should be ok now, If you do power cycle just do it in that order and you should have no problems...:)

jamiefrost
01-04-2008, 22:57
Just as a bit of an explination,

cycling the power on the modem registers a device with a different MAC address. The modem can only have one active MAC address at a time as the IP address given out is based upon the MAC address connected to the modem.

HTH

JJ

Raistlin
01-04-2008, 23:02
Just as a bit of an explination,

cycling the power on the modem registers a device with a different MAC address. The modem can only have one active MAC address at a time as the IP address given out is based upon the MAC address connected to the modem.

HTH

JJ

Thank you JJ - that explanation was going to be my next step after getting the OP working :D

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 23:01 ----------

Woohoo!! Result. Thanks very much.:nworthy:

I really can't believe it was THAT simple.:doh:

Now, to try the wireless. Maybe tomorrow. Will this need to be done each time I need to power cycle either my router or modem?

You're very welcome :)

No, you shouldn't need to do this again unless you want to directly connect another device to the modem (see JJ's explanation above).

whydoIneedatech
01-04-2008, 23:06
Do either of you know how many devices can be registered on the Host Table on the UBR then if you are being technical.;)

Perfect explanation above from you both though, saved on a phone call to Technical Support.

Raistlin
01-04-2008, 23:10
Nope.....never needed to know.....

whydoIneedatech
01-04-2008, 23:15
Nope.....never needed to know.....

The amount is 5 and the reason I posted it is that he needs to only add devices to the Router not the Modem otherwise he can knock himself offline by having to many learned MAC addresses on the Host Table of the UBR, requiring a possible call to Customer Services.

A worthwhile tip for you all.

Raistlin
01-04-2008, 23:20
The amount is 5 and the reason I posted it is that he needs to only add devices to the Router not the Modem otherwise he can knock himself offline by having to many learned MAC addresses on the Host Table of the UBR, requiring a possible call to Customer Services.

A worthwhile tip for you all.

Indeed, and certainly sage advice.

But as I can foresee no situation why the OP (having said he wanted to connect all his devices via the router) would want to do this I am sure that won't be a problem here.

Definitely worth remembering for anybody that does want to connect their modem to a multitude of different devices though :tu:

jamiefrost
01-04-2008, 23:22
Thought it was about 5 never ran in a problem but I think I have only every had 4 MAC address registered.

Any idea how long an unused MAC address stay in the table for?

JJ

whydoIneedatech
01-04-2008, 23:28
Thought it was about 5 never ran in a problem but I think I have only every had 4 MAC address registered.

Any idea how long an unused MAC address stay in the table for?

JJ

They can go after a few hours or overnight but in extreme cases and they do happen you would need to ring in to Technical Services who then request 2nd Line to clear the host table.

As I said spot on above both of you.