PDA

View Full Version : evening & weekend nightmare!!!

tjay2
01-04-2008, 11:59
Hi

I dont know if this is just me or are other people across the country or in my area (dorset) having the same problems!

Basically during the day my web is super fast as id expect always around 15-16mb never ever lower than 12mb.
Yet the last couple weekends and last night the internet has been basically useless my speeds are under a meg! I cant do online gaming and cant even get onto websites they just time out!

I have downloaded 30gb since about the 9/03/08 so over the course of the month would they really cap my speeds this much at weekends and in the evening?!

I did phone and they tech said its probably my router! I dont understand how this can be seeing as im reaching perfect speeds during the day?!!
Any help or advice would be great

Thanks
Tjay

frogstamper
01-04-2008, 12:24
Hi

I dont know if this is just me or are other people across the country or in my area (dorset) having the same problems!

Basically during the day my web is super fast as id expect always around 15-16mb never ever lower than 12mb.
Yet the last couple weekends and last night the internet has been basically useless my speeds are under a meg! I cant do online gaming and cant even get onto websites they just time out!

I have downloaded 30gb since about the 9/03/08 so over the course of the month would they really cap my speeds this much at weekends and in the evening?!

I did phone and they tech said its probably my router! I dont understand how this can be seeing as im reaching perfect speeds during the day?!!
Any help or advice would be great

Thanks
Tjay

How many times have I heard VM use that excuse, "its your router". In my opinion I wouldn't even tell them you use a router, because as soon as you mention the "R" word their brains go into auto-pilot.:banghead:

tjay2
01-04-2008, 12:28
yeah drives me insane! not that im a IT whizz but i know its not the router as i have hard wired into the modem and tried tests as well!

Sometimes I think I know more than the tech guys! no offence to those out there who do try hard and do their jobs!!
tjay

frogstamper
01-04-2008, 12:37
yeah drives me insane! not that im a IT whizz but i know its not the router as i have hard wired into the modem and tried tests as well!

Sometimes I think I know more than the tech guys! no offence to those out there who do try hard and do their jobs!!
tjay

I know what your saying mate, personally I wouldn't bother ringing India you will just get the same old advice, reboot your modem, have you got spyware, etc. It might be worth your while going to the VM newsgroups for advice, try the virgin.support.broadband.cable they usually have Virgin techs who are very help full.

Noggo
01-04-2008, 12:42
Snap,

Does your download speed mimic results in the attached picture.
all results are from four simulanous download, two from fuller.zen.co.uk/test and two from gamefiles.virginmedia.com

Amazing how I see the same drop off in speed nearly every day.

Re: online gaming - Erratic latency off-peak, erratic latency and Packet loss peak times.

tjay2
01-04-2008, 13:57
Hi Noggo mine are not quite as erractic as that! from 9am until about 4pm they are pretty constant but drop off to impossible between 4pm and 10pm

I couldnt get on xbox live until about 10pm last night whilst I could connect ping was so high latency was terrible and i couldnt really get in any games

Its annoying me beacuse Im paying top whack for something that is not usable for 5 hours a day and at the weekends! you reckon anyway of getting a discount otherwise I might have to jump ship!
Ive raved to my mates about fibre optic speeds and how quick my download is but if i can only use it during the day is it really that good!