PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Broadband is coming - Official Launch 31st March

BenMcr
28-03-2008, 14:53
On Monday 31st Virgin launch an official supported Wireless Product

It will be £40 for all BB M customers and existing customers staying on the speed they are on.

For new Broadband L and XL customers and existing customers upgrading to either L or XL it will be free.

If for any reason you downgrade from L or XL within 12 months of getting the free router (either as a new or existing customer) you will be charged £40

xspeedyx
28-03-2008, 15:19
£7.50 postage and packing for all customers tho

BenMcr
28-03-2008, 15:31
£7.50 postage and packing for all customers tho

No it's not

Postage and Packaging is free (even if you are getting the router free)

xspeedyx
28-03-2008, 15:43
read the brief again £7.50 is the p&p pm me your work email address and I will email you the breif that proves I am correct

iglu
28-03-2008, 16:35
so, is VM giving away a free wifi router? or what?

BenMcr
28-03-2008, 16:41
If you upgrade yes, If not it is £40

ceedee
28-03-2008, 16:45
Any idea which wireless router it is?

Personally I think VM are bonkers attempting anything further 'down the line' than the cable modem. The support issues could be terrible!

BenMcr
28-03-2008, 16:48
It is a Netgear WGR614

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php

Personally I think VM are bonkers attempting anything further 'down the line' than the cable modem. The support issues could be terrible!

That is why they haven't launched it till they have made sure there is support in place

iglu
28-03-2008, 16:58
It is a Netgear WGR614

That is why they haven't launched it till they have made sure there is support in place

That's good to know Mumbai has received the new scripts :)

anap
28-03-2008, 17:02
If you upgrade yes, If not it is £40

What about existing XL customers?

BenMcr
28-03-2008, 17:12
What about existing XL customers?

£40

xspeedyx
28-03-2008, 17:14
its free to all customers £40 if you have m and £7.50 for postage on L and XL

Cerberus
28-03-2008, 17:19

Added to your monthly bill or payment by card?

anap
28-03-2008, 17:19
£40

Now I'm hugely confused Ted!

xspeedyx
28-03-2008, 17:27
my bad ingore my posts

ceedee
28-03-2008, 17:36
It is a Netgear WGR614

Looks like a stable and reliable bit of kit.
Even if it's nearer £30 from Amazon UK! :)
But then I guess VM will have allowed for significant support costs.

I'm trying so hard not to be sceptical...
Let's just say I'll keep my fingers crossed and wish TS a peaceful time.

Thanks for the info!

xspeedyx
28-03-2008, 18:57
you can always use the netgear support line they have always been great

iglu
28-03-2008, 19:18

[Admin Edit: Inappropriate remark deleted]

xspeedyx
28-03-2008, 19:56
nah india but really good

ceedee
28-03-2008, 20:15

Oh I wouldn't have VM (or any other ISP) anywhere near 'my side' of the modem!

I'm thinking more of the JoePublic who can't figure out why bittorrents don't work anymore; why he's getting 'attacked' from an unknown source; or sets up WPA incorrectly, etc.

And for what?
I'd have thought that most of those who wanted a router / wireless connection would have sorted themselves out by now. They could feel, quite legitimately, envious of those getting something for 'free'.

Just seems like a strange way to 'invest' scarce resources at a time that the network is evidently creaking...

:shrug:

BenMcr
28-03-2008, 23:50
Oh I wouldn't have VM (or any other ISP) anywhere near 'my side' of the modem!

I dont see how it is any different that those ADSL ISPs that give customers a combined ADSLModem/Wireless Router in one

I'm thinking more of the JoePublic who can't figure out why bittorrents don't work anymore; why he's getting 'attacked' from an unknown source; or sets up WPA incorrectly, etc.

That is why the software setup CD Virgin supply with the router sets it on WPA by default

And for what?
I'd have thought that most of those who wanted a router / wireless connection would have sorted themselves out by now. They could feel, quite legitimately, envious of those getting something for 'free'.

1) The amount of calls Virgin get going 'Do you do wireless' is a lot

2) Everything changes. You could say all those customers that paid £150 for a V+ box are envious of those that are only paying £75.

And it only free on L or XL. BB M customer all pay £40 for it

Just seems like a strange way to 'invest' scarce resources at a time that the network is evidently creaking...

:shrug:

And how can Virgin compete with their broadband when every other ISP apart from them offers a complete wireless solution

Another case of damned if they do and damned if they don't apparently :(

kryogenik
29-03-2008, 00:01

Looks like a stable and reliable bit of kit.

I have one of these. Aside from it being like Blackpool Illuminations when it's in full flow, it's a nice looking piece of kit that works well.
13 channels.
It has it's own 'first time on' set up page which is pretty much foolproof - the settings page is very thorough.

browney
29-03-2008, 00:23
I could by one for less instead of upgrading to L

BenMcr
29-03-2008, 00:33
I could by one for less instead of upgrading to L

Then do so. Virgin are not stopping anyone from making their own router choice. However for those customers who do want a full solution from Virgin, including full support and easy setup, they now have that option

ceedee
29-03-2008, 01:25
I dont see how it is any different that those ADSL ISPs that give customers a combined ADSLModem/Wireless Router in one

Yes, indeed. I used my own modem plus software firewall and anti-virus programs when I was on ADSL too. And I did a lot of research before deciding which cable router was best for me. I can't believe any third party would take as much care because it's my computer that's at risk.
If something goes wrong and my pc gets infected, it'll be down to me.
I've always taken responsibility for my own security and wouldn't dream of relying on an ISP's recommendation.

That is why the software setup CD Virgin supply with the router sets it on WPA by default
(Earlier versions, I notice, only set WEP on and didn't hide the SSID.)
I'm more than willing for time to prove me completely wrong.
And promise not to mention it if you're regretting the decision in a year!
;)

1) The amount of calls Virgin get going 'Do you do wireless' is a lot

2) Everything changes. You could say all those customers that paid £150 for a V+ box are envious of those that are only paying £75.

And it only free on L or XL. BB M customer all pay £40 for it
You pay for it through an upgrade or you buy it.
For me, it would only be free if I upgraded to the less reliable, far more volatile, 20Mb service. Otherwise I could get it cheaper at the best known uk online retailer.
Maybe the folks this is aimed at wouldn't bother checking out what they were getting "free"?

And how can Virgin compete with their broadband when every other ISP apart from them offers a complete wireless solution

Another case of damned if they do and damned if they don't apparently :(

A quality network. Real speed expectations. Low pings. Unlimited downloads. Low contention. Excellent customer relations.
That's what VirginMedia needs to compete on.
Why stoop to ADSL marketing tactics?

moaningmags
29-03-2008, 04:17
Netgear will not touch the router supplied by VM.
The reason they won't is the firmware is locked down and can't be updated.
Before people jump in to correct me, I've had 3 of these routers cos they were crashing when the kids logged onto MSN.
I called Netgear mainly cos I wanted to hear what our customers were being told and I'm sooooo nosy. 1st line didn't have a clue so 2nd line called me back. They didn't have a clue either so they got 3rd line Netgear (American) to call me.
The firmware wouldn't update at all, kept failing, in the end up the american guy said to take it back to where I bought it as it was faulty.
All 3 routers were Netgear WGR614v6.
I went and bought a Netgear WGR614v7, it hasn't crashed once and it cost me £35.

techyguy4
29-03-2008, 06:31
That's good to know Mumbai has received the new scripts :)

Its not Mumbai,Its New Delhi. ;)

arcamalpha2004
29-03-2008, 06:51
£40 for a router?

They are having a Larf.

DerekRothwell
29-03-2008, 07:52
54 Mbps? they are old hat - probably a big batch of products netgear could not sell. Not worth having IMO. 108 Mbps routers are available for around the same price these days

Agent47
29-03-2008, 09:13
This may interest some people.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1332044145.120678172 6@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfcadedjigkgehcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=250537&category_oid=

FairyFairy
29-03-2008, 09:54
Where is the info about this launch ?

(apart from here, of course ;))

eth01
29-03-2008, 09:56
haha. lol tbh.

kryogenik
29-03-2008, 11:50
This may interest some people.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1332044145.120678172 6@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfcadedjigkgehcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=250537&category_oid=

Nice price but bloomin' ugly!
Bit unfortunate if you've not got the option of hiding the router behind something.
;)
Prefer the Netgear.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/03/6.jpg

It has a little stand so it can do the standy-up thing as well.

tubbles
29-03-2008, 11:56
I went and bought a routr when i bought a laptop. luckily for me this is the one i got. It was easy to set up, and has not caused me any problems. My router is in front bedroom and my laptop picks up a "good" signal strength from the top of the back garden which is about 30feet long. Very happy and in case it matters mine is the wgr614 v.7 i paid £40 in Staples. money well spent until now :(

There are four wire ports on the back but don't know if you can use it for xbox and all them Games consoles.

BenMcr
29-03-2008, 14:30
54 Mbps? they are old hat - probably a big batch of products netgear could not sell. Not worth having IMO. 108 Mbps routers are available for around the same price these days

They are not standard though. I.E to get 108Mbps out of a Netgear router you also need a Netgear adapter in your computer.

D-link router, D-link adapter etc

So anyone that a laptop with built in wireless is only going to get 54Mbps from a '108' router anyway

The standard routers that will do that quick are going to be the Wireless N ones.

What is the point of Virgin supplying a 108Mbps router for a net connection that will go a maximum of 20Mbps anyway?

Salu
29-03-2008, 15:17
[Admin Edit]

[sarcastic voice and waving arms] Shock, horror a derogatory racist slang term.....quick call someone now.....

....ah sorry I forgot that the French are not as sensitive as some other races.
[end sarcastic voice]

Maybe a little OTT but it does annoy me that we now seem to have different levels of offense depending on who is the recipient. :dozey:

Mick
29-03-2008, 15:28
Maybe a little OTT but it does annoy me that we now seem to have different levels of offense depending on who is the recipient. :dozey:

It's an interesting feature that 'Report Post' facility. ;)

mathiaskt
29-03-2008, 18:54
Too late for me. Just got the SMCWBR14S-N2 as my service was activated last week after a year on the fast lane using BE ADLS2. I have to say though I am yet to experience the fast lane on VM as I used to with BE (consistently used to get 13Mbits/s on BE 24M pro) – now I will be lucky if I get 6Mbits/s on 20Mbits/s connection.

Mathias,

popper
30-03-2008, 14:26
They are not standard though. I.E to get 108Mbps out of a Netgear router you also need a Netgear adapter in your computer.

D-link router, D-link adapter etc

So anyone that a laptop with built in wireless is only going to get 54Mbps from a '108' router anyway

The standard routers that will do that quick are going to be the Wireless N ones.

What is the point of Virgin supplying a 108Mbps router for a net connection that will go a maximum of 20Mbps anyway?

your falling for the advertising hype BenMcr,but thats understandable, after all many VM customers will be assuming exactly the same with this new VM wireless 11g product " it says 54Mbit right there on the box! so it must be right"..., if you have a tech check it out, you would know that these and any other 11g dont do real 54Mbit/s but far less.

its well known by those that test their wireless routers 11g only ever manages a real 22Mbit max througput in the best of cases, usually much less averageing around 15-18Mbit/s.

Today, 11n is infact your only real choice to handle the current top speed to its full capacity for now and the near future,so it would infact be in Virgin Media's best interest to source and supply some new 11n mimo kit, as an ordinary user you can find them as cheap as £60-£70 now, so VM could get a far better price on bulk, and still make a profit.

and most of all, VM would then have a wireless supported router to cover both the current 20Mbit/s and the upcoming 50Mbit/s ,Neil your current CEO even finally understands the need to have a fast enough wireless router to fully cope with the Broadband products, and even had a PR report made for this fact.

it apears someone inside Virgin Media made yet another booboo though with contracting for 11g kit without even checking the real thoughput speeds first, and you can be sure these people that have payed for your official end user supported kit wount be happy.

theres the fact you might not have charged anyone for these 11g 22Mbit/s Maximum real throughput routers yet, so its a saveable position for now.

BTW, do you even get the required matching wireless card (PCi,USB or cardbus etc)for your PC to connect to these 11g routers wirelessly in this advertised official Virgin Media wireless Broadband package?, it appears not!,
whats the point of suppying only half the wireless kit you need to actully use the official VM wireless package?.

treeman
30-03-2008, 16:01
does anybody know the closing date for this offer, will it end the 30/04/08 or is it to continue to a further time?

thanks for any help and sorry if this has been asked before!

whydoIneedatech
30-03-2008, 16:33
It is not an offer its a permanent product. There is no end date.

treeman
30-03-2008, 16:43
thanks for that great news thanks alot!:)

BenMcr
30-03-2008, 20:42
its well known by those that test their wireless routers 11g only ever manages a real 22Mbit max througput in the best of cases, usually much less averageing around 15-18Mbit/s.

Virgin would not supply 54g kit if it wasn't suitable

Today, 11n is infact your only real choice to handle the current top speed to its full capacity for now and the near future,so it would infact be in Virgin Media's best interest to source and supply some new 11n mimo kit, as an ordinary user you can find them as cheap as £60-£70 now, so VM could get a far better price on bulk, and still make a profit.

and most of all, VM would then have a wireless supported router to cover both the current 20Mbit/s and the upcoming 50Mbit/s ,Neil your current CEO even finally understands the need to have a fast enough wireless router to fully cope with the Broadband products, and even had a PR report made for this fact.

Yup, Virgin are already aware of this and when the 50Mbps product actually launches, as it is a premium product, hopefully it would come with a .11n router as standard. But at this stage it hasn't so no-one can say what will happen with the kit when it does.

Also .11n still isn't a comfirmed standard. Do you really want Virgin supplying beta kit?

it apears someone inside Virgin Media made yet another booboo though with contracting for 11g kit without even checking the real thoughput speeds first, and you can be sure these people that have payed for your official end user supported kit wount be happy.

theres the fact you might not have charged anyone for these 11g 22Mbit/s Maximum real throughput routers yet, so its a saveable position for now.

The kit has been trialled since September last year. If the router isn't up to the job, would you not think that it would have been picked up at that stage?? Again, 54g is fine for up to 20Mbps.

BTW, do you even get the required matching wireless card (PCi,USB or cardbus etc)for your PC to connect to these 11g routers wirelessly in this advertised official Virgin Media wireless Broadband package?, it appears not!,
whats the point of suppying only half the wireless kit you need to actully use the official VM wireless package?.

If you require adapters they are avaliable for an extra £20 (for either PC Card or USB). What is the point of supplying equipment that may not be redundant.

Why would you need an adapter if you have a laptop from the last 4/5 years (which most of the time is why people want to go wireless). It would only end up in a drawer

Darrenp
30-03-2008, 23:48
Didn't they do this a few years back?

Then turned round and said they didn't support wireless?

Anyway, I use 1 of these which I bought and have never had any issues with it.

BenMcr
31-03-2008, 00:04
Didn't they do this a few years back?

Then turned round and said they didn't support wireless?

Anyway, I use 1 of these which I bought and have never had any issues with it.

If you are talking about the ex-tw version again it was a trial

you can do a firmware upgrade on the kit they gave you here http://www.virginmedia.com/help/wireless/upgrade-tw-kit.php (as the ones they sent out dont support vista or 20Mbps)

You have to phone Virgin to get a new Wireless setup CD

bywater
31-03-2008, 02:44

It will be £40 for all BB M customers and existing customers staying on the speed they are on.

For new Broadband L and XL customers and existing customers upgrading to either L or XL it will be free.

If for any reason you downgrade from L or XL within 12 months of getting the free router (either as a new or existing customer) you will be charged £40

A bit late isn't it and not that good an offer as nearly all major adsl suppliers I know provide wireless routers and modems free of charge and have been doing so for sometime now. :td:

signori
31-03-2008, 07:42
what?

sbunby
31-03-2008, 12:16
Is this new product an integrated modem and wireless router?

Or just a wireless router?

Jumborat
31-03-2008, 13:56
Is this new product an integrated modem and wireless router?

Or just a wireless router?

Its just a wireless router. I've returned to Virgin BB this morning after a pretty dodgy 12 months with Sky BB. I got the £11.50/month when taken with a phone line deal. I read about the router this morning, rang Virgin and one has been posted out to me.

Brettiex
31-03-2008, 15:21
I think this was a move that VM needed to make sooner or later as almost all ADSL providers are already providing Wireless ADSL routers as either included or for an additional extra.

It's a shame that they didn't opt for a complete wireless solution such as a Wireless Cable Modem:

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sbg900/default.asp

By taking the route that VM has taken it hasn't really changed anything and if honesty be told most knowledable users will get either the same routers from elsewhere or go with something else unless VM give them away.

More and more users are looking for integrated solutions and for VM to still be dragging their feet and not offer a fully integrated box is unforgivably when wireless integrated boxes are becoming the norm.

The fact that VM are giving them away free for upgrades may possibly be a positive move for VM as they will be able to increase their revenue per customer.

BenMcr
31-03-2008, 16:41

Right, slight update on this. XL customers DO NOT have to pay the £40. To get the wireless router they only have to pay £7.50 for P&P.

Everything else stays the same

dilli-theclaw
31-03-2008, 16:46
HHHmmm so as I'm already on the XL I just have to call customer services to get a nice shiny new wireless router :)

OOOhhh I think I may well do that later.

One question, does that p&p get added to my bill or do I need my card out ;)

BenMcr
31-03-2008, 16:50
Goes onto the bill.

But as you are in Beds you've got until 6pm when all the ex-SMS systems get taken offline for a week

dilli-theclaw
31-03-2008, 16:57
Cheers, it's on it's way :)

daz196
31-03-2008, 18:24
Just rang up vm,soke to a lady,who says we dont do wireless router,
i told her its on there web site,hold on i put you through to another agent,has she hasnt heard of this offer,
i spoke to some bloke who said it will cost me £7.50pm,
i said that i thought its free for XL packages,no he repied new customers only,
hold on i check with my supervisor he said 2 mins later,he says,
i can send you out a wireless router for free,just for you,
so i thank him,now one is on the way,
my d-link 614+ router is on its way out i dropped it,and keeps playing up,
was thinking of getting a new one,glad i waited.

treeman
31-03-2008, 18:59
can anyone tell me if you can use any make of usb adapter on this virgin router by netgear or does it have to be netgear only and i am running vista?

thanks for any help,

BenMcr
31-03-2008, 19:38
You can use any make you like but Virgin will only support the adapters they have supplied. So if you can't connect one laptop via wireless (not using a Virgin supplied adapter) but can connect another (that does have a virgin supplied adapter) then Virgin will say nothing is wrong

anap
31-03-2008, 21:08
I was just told that it will cost me £40!

daz196
31-03-2008, 22:03
I was just told that it will cost me £40!
Yep me too,
just ring back,it depends on who you talk to,for some reason,
i getting mine,only rang tonight.

bigboab5
01-04-2008, 11:55
Can someone please post a link showing the charges, or non charges for the wireless router. Thanks.

if it is already posted I apologise, but I cannot find it.

:)

daz196
01-04-2008, 12:42
Can someone please post a link showing the charges, or non charges for the wireless router. Thanks.

if it is already posted I apologise, but I cannot find it.

:)

Here ya go mate
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/wireless.html

iMMENSE
01-04-2008, 13:28
I just called up, Some guy named John told me its only for the XL Subscribers and I debated with him and then I hung up.

BenMcr
01-04-2008, 13:40
I just called up, Some guy named John told me its only for the XL Subscribers and I debated with him and then I hung up.

:erm:

DC_FC79
01-04-2008, 14:28
I went and bought a routr when i bought a laptop. luckily for me this is the one i got. It was easy to set up, and has not caused me any problems. My router is in front bedroom and my laptop picks up a "good" signal strength from the top of the back garden which is about 30feet long. Very happy and in case it matters mine is the wgr614 v.7 i paid £40 in Staples. money well spent until now :(

There are four wire ports on the back but don't know if you can use it for xbox and all them Games consoles.

yes you can use it for a 360, not sure about the ps3 or the wii, ive got the same router

blenky
01-04-2008, 23:25
Here ya go mate
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/wireless.html

It doesn't say anything in the small print about existing XL users getting the router for £7.50 postage.

Then again I signed up for a new deal on the 31st which in part upgraded my BB to XL so I'm owed a free router. On the phone tomorrow!

anap
02-04-2008, 10:54
I phoned again last night, they're sending me one for £7.50 P&P. If it works OK I'll sell the Belkin!

Jumborat
02-04-2008, 14:19
There was absolutely no mention of P&P when I phoned for mine on Monday. It was delivered this morning and took just 2 minutes to setup when I came home from work.

Works fine wired to the pc and wireless with my phone and PS3.

daz196
02-04-2008, 14:47
There was absolutely no mention of P&P when I phoned for mine on Monday. It was delivered this morning and took just 2 minutes to setup when I came home from work.

Works fine wired to the pc and wireless with my phone and PS3.

Same here came this afternoon,came with cd,didnt use cd,easy to set up,
my laptop is much faster d/l,used to have 802.11b network,only used to get 5mb,
now have 802.11g network,much faster 12mb.

blenky
02-04-2008, 18:26

I phoned today and explained that on the 31st I signed up for a new package which took me from BB M to BB XL. The lady on the phone that I certainly qualified for a router but would be charged £7.50 postage. I asked her where on the web site it said anything about postage charge - it just says free

I'm also having TV and phone installed on the 14th so asked if the engineer could bring one along to save the postage ;-> No surprise she said it wasn't possible

She insisted I would have to pay £7.50. I will try again tomorrow!

BenMcr
02-04-2008, 19:03
I phoned today and explained that on the 31st I signed up for a new package which took me from BB M to BB XL. The lady on the phone that I certainly qualified for a router but would be charged £7.50 postage. I asked her where on the web site it said anything about postage charge - it just says free

I'm also having TV and phone installed on the 14th so asked if the engineer could bring one along to save the postage ;-> No surprise she said it wasn't possible

In your case because you upgraded on the 31st you certainly should get the P&P covered.

The £7.50 is only for people who were already on XL before the 31st

blenky
02-04-2008, 20:32
In your case because you upgraded on the 31st you certainly should get the P&P covered.

The £7.50 is only for people who were already on XL before the 31st

Thought so. Is there a link to anything from Virgin that mentions the £7.50 charge?

BenMcr
02-04-2008, 23:05
Not yet. But it should be updated soon

blenky
03-04-2008, 18:38

Tried again but they insist I have to pay £7.50!

rogerdraig
03-04-2008, 18:58
just because i am being picky today but why is there a £7.50 p&P

as we seem to be renting it

quote from Terms

The Wireless router remains the property of Virgin Media at all times.

strangely after that bit it says it has a "2 year service warranty" if we stay with virgin

but earlier on it said "one time service charge of £40" nothing there about a service charge for the next 2 years

hmm

:angel: me ;)

whydoIneedatech
03-04-2008, 19:01
just because i am being picky today but why is there a £7.50 p&P

as we seem to be renting it

quote from Terms

The Wireless router remains the property of Virgin Media at all times.

strangely after that bit it says it has a "2 year service warranty" if we stay with virgin

but earlier on it said "one time service charge of £40" nothing there about a service charge for the next 2 years

hmm

:angel: me ;)

The router stays the property of Virginmedia you are paying to be supported unlike if you purchased a 3rd party router from elsewhere.

rogerdraig
03-04-2008, 19:14
The router stays the property of Virginmedia you are paying to be supported unlike if you purchased a 3rd party router from elsewhere.

but for how long

and what support do you need most i have set up lately you just need to press connect all done

plus the way i read it the help you may need to connect computer would only be there if you purchase their adapter for that too

all i can see is its a way of them being even able to control your private network in your own house as i bet they disable some menus and only have their updates

but then maybe i am just paranoid about phorm being in it to ;)

whydoIneedatech
03-04-2008, 20:22
Personally I would go to the PC World website and pay £31.30 for a D-Link 524 that is £49.99 in store or if you order online you pick it up in store for the above price.

I have one of these and its been up since August 08 and easy set up also just follow the instructions and you cannot go wrong.

FairyFairy
03-04-2008, 21:08
Is it not possible to buy our own wireless router ??

saabmania2
03-04-2008, 21:24
all i can see is its a way of them being even able to control your private network in your own house as i bet they disable some menus and only have their updates

but then maybe i am just paranoid about phorm being in it to ;)

I'm thinking the exact same thing i don't like what vm are doing/signing everyone up for at the moment with phorm and other things :(

treeman
04-04-2008, 08:35
does anyone know if it is parcelforce who deliver or another courier or royalmail?

thanks for any help,

dilli-theclaw
04-04-2008, 16:21
My dad got a lynx tracking number for his order.

I didnt get a number.

We are both still waiting for it to turn up.

treeman
04-04-2008, 17:32
thanks for all your replies and i can just confirm that my router was delivered a few minutes ago by UPS. 48hrs after i ordered it on wednesday a fast service but i did not have a traking number.;)

dilli-theclaw
04-04-2008, 20:05
MMMmmm I guess I'll give it 'till Monday and phone them to see where it is then.

dilli-theclaw
07-04-2008, 10:56
I have already phoned them three times this morning and they really don't seem to have a clue what's going on :(

I keep being asked why I need a new modem - after I tell them I'm not after that but the wireless router i ordered they give my lynx's phone number and a 'tracking' number. Which lynx has never heard of.

After doing that twice I get another person telling me to call bb support (which tell me that I an being charged for the call).

I'd hope there was an easy way for them to sort out where it is.

joglynne
07-04-2008, 13:12
...https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/04/26.gif... Jefferson you could always try virginmedia. support. broadband.cable. at least that's free.

dilli-theclaw
07-04-2008, 14:35
Well I've been asked to call the sales team which I'm about to do then if i still get no joy (thanks to a staff member :tu: I'll pass my details onto him).

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

Sales passed me back to customer services who told me to call lynx again ad they don't have any number for me.

All I know is that its been ordered.

FairyFairy
07-04-2008, 16:02
Cor! Thats a bit frustrating for you ... round and round !!!!!!! Grrrr!!!

dilli-theclaw
07-04-2008, 16:06
Well I will wait 'till tomorrow then PM the person in question :)

ceedee
07-04-2008, 23:24
I had something similar a few years ago with a delivery from Dabs by an obscure transport company. When the packages finally turned up, each label had *three* different numbers! By trial and error I discovered which number was the 'right' one for the online tracker and explained it to Dabs helpdesk -- they'd been told that number was an accounting code!

If Lynx are able to describe the format and length that their tracking number normally follows to you, perhaps you could 'help' CS find it within the details they've got for your order?

Mind you, the bottleneck could still be with VM's supplier...

Good luck!

dilli-theclaw
08-04-2008, 12:40
It just turned up - happy is me :)

xpod
08-04-2008, 12:56
Tried ordering mine via the online order form but it would not accept my email address for some strange reason.
Called up and it will apparently be here within a week.

Just need to think of a use for the thing now.:dozey:

FairyFairy
08-04-2008, 13:56
Better late than never !! ;)

scoobadiva
10-04-2008, 05:05
does this wireless router also allow cabled connections?

for example id prefer my PC and my XBOX to be connected to the router via ethernet, but i'd want my laptop wireless.

scoobadiva
10-04-2008, 08:04
nevermind, if this link posted in a prev post was correct, the specs are:

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION

Network Connection:

* Wireless Data Speed of up to 54 Mbps
* 5 x 10/100 (1 Internet and 4 LAN) network ports with auto-sensing technology

Wireless Encryption:

* Choice of WEP (64 or 128 bit), WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK

So i guess its cool.

ceedee
10-04-2008, 08:18
The VM-supplied router is a Netgear WGR614 (http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php) with modified firmware.

FairyFairy
10-04-2008, 08:38
does this wireless router also allow cabled connections?

for example id prefer my PC and my XBOX to be connected to the router via ethernet, but i'd want my laptop wireless.

The answer is a yes - I asked the same question earlier in the thread

xpod
10-04-2008, 12:13
2 days later Lynx delivered the thing........

Now to have some fun with my spare 1Mb STB connection:devsmoke:

MacmillaN
11-04-2008, 02:17
Is the wireless kit provided by VM, Free to customers already on L & XL?

Thanks

DJ Dave
11-04-2008, 08:49
I got it free on LBB and it arrived yesterday and is all working now!

lostandconfused
11-04-2008, 08:56
Is the wireless kit provided by VM, Free to customers already on L & XL?

Thanks

No its £40 to existing L customers that dont want to upgrade
Its Free to L customers upgrading to XL BB
Theres a £7.50 postage charge for existing XL customers

Rich153
11-04-2008, 10:07
hi everyone got 1 question does this Netgear WGR614 come with a Wireless Adapter or do we have to buy one.

dilli-theclaw
11-04-2008, 10:15
It doesn't come with one, but you can get one (usb or pcmcia) for £20 when you order it. Or go and buy one from a shop instead.

blenky
11-04-2008, 10:44
No its £40 to existing L customers that dont want to upgrade
Its Free to L customers upgrading to XL BB
Theres a £7.50 postage charge for existing XL customers

Apparently so. I upgraded to XL from M on 31st March. I've rung three times and each time they insist I have to pay £7.50 for postage.

BTW where on the VM site does it say anything about a postage charge? It says its either free or £40?

nutellajunkie
11-04-2008, 11:19
Dd-wrt? ;)

Oh and think of the amount of "available" internet when these come into play..

YEY!! Saves me more money!

Thanks Virgin, yerra star!

BenMcr
11-04-2008, 12:24
Apparently so. I upgraded to XL from M on 31st March. I've rung three times and each time they insist I have to pay £7.50 for postage.

BTW where on the VM site does it say anything about a postage charge? It says its either free or £40?

Again I keep asking this. You want Virgin to charge you £40 instead of the £7.50??

rogerdraig
11-04-2008, 12:39
Again I keep asking this. You want Virgin to charge you £40 instead of the £7.50??

no i expect they want them to tell them up front what it costs instead of acting like a dodgy web site who puts extra charges in after you commit to buy something

next they will be installing spyware in as an extra with out asking :angel:

dilli-theclaw
11-04-2008, 12:40
I would expect customer services to tell me when I phone up about the £7.50 p&p charge.

Which they did in my case.

BenMcr
11-04-2008, 13:22
no i expect they want them to tell them up front what it costs instead of acting like a dodgy web site who puts extra charges in after you commit to buy something

next they will be installing spyware in as an extra with out asking :angel:

The website says

A non-refundable, one time service charge of £40 will apply to all new Broadband customers taking our Size: M Broadband service and existing Size: L and Size: XL customers taking the wireless router without upgrading the Broadband service

so for any XL customer being charged £7.50 P&P for the router they are charging you LESS than the website says.

I'll certainly feed it back that you want Virgin to charge what the website says if you like? ;)

xpod
11-04-2008, 14:33
Mines does have some uses after all it seems:angel:

That 1Mb STB line thats still working fine will do for all the (local)neighbors who cant really afford new PC`s & BB of their own just now.

I`ve supplied a few old(er)PC`s to said neighbors along the way this last couple of years but that 50 ft ethernet wire is a bit unsightly so as long as the VM Netgear does the job then VM might have some competition round these parts.

FREE BB ala Xpod:D
Either that or i might just leave it open for any unwelcome prying eyes.......;)

EDIT:
Beware the TUB GIRLS and the upside down ternet ;-)

EDIT:"
And for the serious among us.......it`s a joke

blenky
11-04-2008, 14:57
I would expect customer services to tell me when I phone up about the £7.50 p&p charge.

Which they did in my case.

The p&p charge should be made clear on the web site on the tab called 'How Much Is it?'. You should not have to call Customer Services before you are made aware of this.

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:52 ----------

Don't understand your question!

The consensus on this thread seems to be that the cost for existing subscribers is:

£40 for M and L. (7.50 p&p anyone?!)
£7.50 postage for XL
TOTALLY FREE for anyone upgrading to XL on or after 31st March.
I upgraded to XL on 31st March so I would have thought it would be 100% free.

At the end of the day I don't give a stufffile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Steve/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif;) I'm just trying to make sense of VM pricing policy!

dilli-theclaw
11-04-2008, 15:44
As they are making the charges clear in my example then I don't see a problem at all.

BenMcr
11-04-2008, 16:21
Don't understand your question![/FONT][/COLOR]

What I'm trying to say is that the website says that Existing XL customers have to pay £40 and no P&P. So if Virgin are charging existing customer £0 for the router and £7.50 for P&P instead, how is that worse?

The consensus on this thread seems to be that the cost for existing subscribers is

£40 for M and L. (7.50 p&p anyone?!)
£7.50 postage for XL
TOTALLY FREE for anyone upgrading to XL on or after 31st March.
I upgraded to XL on 31st March so I would have thought it would be 100% free.

At the end of the day I don't give a stuffI'm just trying to make sense of VM pricing policy!

And yes that is all correct. Why they won't give you the router free as you u/g to XL on the 31st I don't know

The £40 includes P&P btw.

Also remember that if you get the the free one when you upgrade, you have to keep that upgrade for 12 months otherwise you get charged £40 anyway.

If however you pay the £7.50 as I read it you are free to downgrade whenever you like without being charged a further £40

blenky
11-04-2008, 18:32
What I'm trying to say is that the website says that Existing XL customers have to pay £40 and no P&P. So if Virgin are charging existing customer £0 for the router and £7.50 for P&P instead, how is that worse?

And yes that is all correct. Why they won't give you the router free as you u/g to XL on the 31st I don't know

The £40 includes P&P btw.

Also remember that if you get the the free one when you upgrade, you have to keep that upgrade for 12 months otherwise you get charged £40 anyway.

If however you pay the £7.50 as I read it you are free to downgrade whenever you like without being charged a further £40

Ok that is all perfectly clear and understodd BUT none of what you are saying is explained within the VM web sites small print. That is where you should find about it and not on this forum or when you call them.

Thats what I thought 'small print' was for!:)

rogerdraig
12-04-2008, 00:48
ok lets look at this page

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/bb_deal_size_l.html

try and find P&P

or this one

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/bb_deal_size_xl.html

i see a lot of free no p&P though

sigh

BenMcr
12-04-2008, 16:00
Does anyone actually read the whole page?

Free Wireless Router offer: Wireless enabled equipment required. Available to all new Broadband customers taking our Size: L and Size: XL Broadband services or existing Size: M and Size: L Broadband customers upgrading to Size: L or Size: XL (subject to status and credit checks). No additional charge will be made for this wireless router as long as you remain a Broadband Size: L or Size: XL customer. Should you sign up to our Size: L or Size: XL Broadband service and subsequently downgrade to Size: M within your minimum contract period you will be required to pay the service charge for the wireless router, currently £40.

So that covers the fact you have to be a new customer or upgrade to get it free and if you downgrade within 12 months you get charged £40, as has previously been been discussed

And again the wireless page (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/wireless.html) says

A non-refundable, one time service charge of £40 will apply to <snip> Size: XL customers taking the wireless router without upgrading the Broadband service. The Wireless router remains the property of Virgin Media at all times.

So the £7.50 is less that Virgin officially says they are going to charge. Which would everyone prefer? £7.50 or £40?

BenMcr
22-04-2008, 13:00
An update on this.

Due to the popularity of the routers and as a SHORT TERM MEASURE ONLY, the wireless routers will cost £40, with no minimum contract, for ALL existing broadband customers. This applies to existing M L and XL customers whether upgrading or not.

New broadband customer prices are not affected

iglu
22-04-2008, 13:54
An update on this.

Due to the popularity of the routers and as a SHORT TERM MEASURE ONLY, the wireless routers will cost £40, with no minimum contract, for ALL existing broadband customers. This applies to existing M L and XL customers whether upgrading or not.

:rofl:

NTL is always going to be NTL, whatever the name! An incompetent, embarrassingly useless company, specializing in shooting themselves in the foot!

So, the wireless fiasco lasted 52 days, charging an arm and a leg for BB support a bit more than that....

We need a table to rank NTL's fiascos...

popper
22-04-2008, 14:39
An update on this.

whats that you say Ben, your charging customers £40 for a VM branded antiquated 11g (not even a g+ or a wireless card included in that price to make full use of the kit)

and it seems your makeing a bundle of cash at that £40 price too, what with your bulk buying power and all that ;)

forgetting your massive VM bulk buying savings for a minute...., without even trying to find the cheapest retail price, it appears your charging £6.71 above retail and a massive £16.69 on the second hand market price (and theres a lot of them due to its age and end of line etc).

for something that people have little use for after the 50Mbit package comes out this year , or perhaps have to run at a massive speed loss, average 14Mbit-to-17Mbit or even lower, if you read the real throughput reviews... depending onthe extra wireless card they have to buy to make wireless use of this old 11g kit.

why spend £40 on that old kit when users can get lowend 11n
wireless routers for virtually the same price and be ready for the upcoming 50Mbit throughput at full speed, wereas the VM 11g will not give you anywere near even the full 20Mbit of the current offering.....

for some lowend 11n 66Mbit+ minimum throughout wireless routers that will serve you far better than the antiquated wireless 11g see:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30387/96/

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/myincludes/new_page.php?cheap_11n_router_roundup_table_router .htm
Cheap Draft 802.11n Router Roundup - Router Summary Table

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/908053/art/trendnet/tew-632brp-300-mbps-wifi.html
£ 48 Inc. VAT

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000SOB5FM/interactiveda3039-21
Price:£50.24 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000Y1F72G/interactiveda3048-21
Price:£49.90
---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

It is a Netgear WGR614

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C1WO2/4000053-21/?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
"
Netgear WGR614UK Wireless 54G Cable Router
by NetGear (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=electronics-uk&field-keywords=NetGear)

Price:£33.29 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=mk_sss_dp_1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200039400)
Availability: In stock. Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk.

24 used & new (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0000C1WO2/ref=dp_olp_2) available from £23.31

BenMcr
22-04-2008, 15:12
Don't buy it then.

Buy a router from Amazon instead, or PC World, or Maplins, or anywhere else that does wireless kit.

Then maybe Virgin will be able to supply all those customers who do want it from Virgin at the original pricing

Richy99
22-04-2008, 15:54
most people will use their own equpiment if the are savvy enough to know, most people arent and will take it purely as it is supplied, and i would guess supported by VM if anything goes wrong

as for it being overcharged nobody is forcing anyone to buy it

blenky
22-04-2008, 18:09
An update on this.

Well I've been stiffed then. I called yesterday to claim my 'free' wireless router and was asked to call back next week as the system would not let him update my account :rolleyes:

BenMcr
22-04-2008, 18:11
If they've noted the account to say previously offered for X amount, then I would expect Virgin to honour it.

If not, then unfortunately no-one would be able to offer it for less than £40

blenky
22-04-2008, 20:40
If they've noted the account to say previously offered for X amount, then I would expect Virgin to honour it.

If not, then unfortunately no-one would be able to offer it for less than £40

The guy I spoke too agreed that I qualified for a free router but he asked I me to call back next week!

I doubt he made a note on my account.

Ah well I'll ring back and try my luck :D

techyguy4
22-04-2008, 23:16
I think VM has stopped providing free routers to existing customers.(even for XL customers). Only the new customers would be getting the routers free of cost. Existing customers have to shell out 40 pounds for the same.

BenMcr
22-04-2008, 23:22
I think VM has stopped providing free routers to existing customers.(even for XL customers). Only the new customers would be getting the routers free of cost. Existing customers have to shell out 40 pounds for the same.

Yes that is correct, however if a customer has agreed a price previous to the change (which only happened today), then I would expect Virgin to honour it

dilli-theclaw
23-04-2008, 09:43
HHHmmm I guess I'll find out when I get my next bill...

anap
23-04-2008, 10:56
I'm glad I got mine when I did then!

MacmillaN
23-04-2008, 20:47
Do Virgin give you a tracking number?
We ordered the Wireless kit, but there was no option for self install?
and we got a email telling us someone would be incontact within 48hours, then got another email saying You?re in! Thanks for placing your order with Virgin Media we have now actioned your request.

Any clues.?