PDA

View Full Version : Poor speed web browsing, downloads fine

Dan_Man
28-03-2008, 09:21
Hi all,

I'm in the Benfleet, Essex area and have been experiencing very slow web browsing during the morning and night. during the afternoon everything is fine.

However during these slow periods I can download at full speed, but web browsing is so slow to the point that pages time out.

I've seen similar posts reporting the same problem in other areas, but with no explanation. Funny enough this is one site that doesn't seem to be that much effected by my problem.

I've done all the resets, spyware and browser clear outs.

Wondered if anybody else was experiencing the same problem.

Dan

moaningmags
28-03-2008, 11:24
Try running some ping tests and traceroutes.
My husband had very slow browsing (two browsers), but ping times and traceroutes were fine, so we're still looking.

Jonathan90
28-03-2008, 11:56
does the page like hang for couple of secs then load as normal or sometimes not looad at all and time out?

ceedee
28-03-2008, 12:03
does the page like hang for couple of secs then load as normal or sometimes not looad at all and time out?

If it does, I'd recommend you consider trying a non-VM DNS service such as Open DNS (http://www.opendns.com/).
(Make a note of your current settings so that you can revert back to them if OpenDNS doesn't sort out the problem.)

Jonathan90
28-03-2008, 13:04
exactly what i was gonna say

Itshim
28-03-2008, 13:18
Have a lot of problems like this over the last couple of days - In office & home which makes me wonder as only home is Virgin ,office is KCOM . As both are using Firefox ( & when using Internet Explorer its seems better) I wonder if my beloved Firefox is the cause!

ceedee
28-03-2008, 13:26
Have a lot of problems like this over the last couple of days - In office & home which makes me wonder as only home is Virgin ,office is KCOM . As both are using Firefox ( & when using Internet Explorer its seems better) I wonder if my beloved Firefox is the cause!

Have you tried clearing Firefox's cache?
It's almost always where I start from...

frogstamper
28-03-2008, 16:56
Have you tried clearing Firefox's cache?
It's almost always where I start from...

Blimey ceedee your turning into my personal maintenance engineer,;) Iv just cleared my firefox cache and the pages are flying down again. Once again thank you:tu:

PS Where on the "network" tab it says how much mb to set for cache, what would you recommend?

ceedee
28-03-2008, 17:21
Blimey ceedee your turning into my personal maintenance engineer,;) Iv just cleared my firefox cache and the pages are flying down again. Once again thank you:tu:

hehe -- no problem, mate. Always happy to help when I'm around.

PS Where on the "network" tab it says how much mb to set for cache, what would you recommend?

Mine is set to 50MB (which I suspect is the default) and it works fine.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

exactly what i was gonna say

Brilliant minds, eh? ;)

:juggle: