PDA

View Full Version : Vista + Virgin Media no internet

John A
27-03-2008, 18:16
Hi can anybody help? After buying a new pc (with vista) i unplugged my old pc (xp) tried to connect the internet using an ethernet like my old pc and it gave me a "limited connection unknown network" message, so after hours of calls between the tech guys and virgin media, virgin blamed the pc and the tech guys blamed my 4 year old ntl modem they told me it was not compatible with vista and i should call virgin and get a new modem sent to me and it should be fixed. can anyone back this up as i wait for my new modem to arrive. im not very good with computers went through alot of changes and checks to the settings over the phone with both the tech guys and virgin tech support.

Druchii
27-03-2008, 18:22
Hi can anybody help? After buying a new pc (with vista) i unplugged my old pc (xp) tried to connect the internet using an ethernet like my old pc and it gave me a "limited connection unknown network" message, so after hours of calls between the tech guys and virgin media, virgin blamed the pc and the tech guys blamed my 4 year old ntl modem they told me it was not compatible with vista and i should call virgin and get a new modem sent to me and it should be fixed. can anyone back this up as i wait for my new modem to arrive. im not very good with computers went through alot of changes and checks to the settings over the phone with both the tech guys and virgin tech support.
And throughout all this they did tell you to unplug your modem wait 10 seconds and plug it back in right?

lostandconfused
27-03-2008, 18:25
The modem is compatibale with vista, but thats not to say that the modem isnt faulty.

you said you have phoned tech support, so i assume that they told you to reboot the modem?

Edit: beat to it

John A
27-03-2008, 18:35
well one guy said you need to reset the modem find the small hole and poke a pen in it to reset but it doesent have a small hole on it ive checked it a few times and even got a friend to check but no reset hole. was on the phone for an hour with the tech guys tried all sorts of easy fixes and in depth tweaks. thanks for the quick response

moaningmags
27-03-2008, 18:46
Did they suggest what Druchii said?

Unplug the modem from the electricity, wait 10 seconds, plug it back in?

This fixes it most of the time.

lostandconfused
27-03-2008, 18:48
Are you using a router?

If so connect your pc directly to the modem. reboot the modem and try and connect. if it works then we can try and set the router up after

John A
27-03-2008, 18:51
yeah ive tried that along with many other changes i was told over the phone

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

no i dont have a router just directly from modem to pc

The_Bullet
27-03-2008, 18:58
Just to ensure you've tried everything - Have you right clicked on the network icon on the right hand side of your taskbar and selected "diagnose and repair" ?. This can clear up some things...

John A
27-03-2008, 19:03
yep done that dident fix it, the tech guy said "the DHCP is not compatible with vista" and that they have had a few people call them who are on virgin and have had a new modem sent out which should fix it.

lostandconfused
27-03-2008, 19:08
do you know what IP your getting? ie does it start with an 80, 169 or 192 etc

(btw dont post your full IP)

MovedGoalPosts
27-03-2008, 20:14
What modem is it that you currently have. I'm wondering if there is a common theme to this thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/33630093-virginmedia-wireless-router-problem.html) where router's wouldn't work?

moaningmags
28-03-2008, 00:06
He doesn't have a router :S

Trent
28-03-2008, 00:13
What modem is it that you currently have. I'm wondering if there is a common theme to this thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/33630093-virginmedia-wireless-router-problem.html) where router's wouldn't work?

With Vista you have to specify if its a home, work or public internet connection. If you dont it blocks all access. to check what yours is set to click the Start Button (little circle in bottom left) move your mouse to the entry called "network" and using the right mouse button click on "network" from the drop down that appears click properties. in the window that opens you have a wee network map at the top and underneath it should day something like Network Connection 1 (xxxxx) where is says xxxx will tell you what type of network its set to. Can you tell me what it says?

Then underneath that there should be an option in blue which says "View Status" click it and tell me what it says for IPV4 Connectivity.

SwgLee
28-03-2008, 18:43
im not an expert or anything and this probably wont help but ill post just incase.

I recently also bought a new pc (from cube247.com) with vista premien installed.
When i plugged my cables back in for the internet i also could not access the internet on the new computer.
I got a guy round (computer ads in local papers) and he said windows wasnt activated on my computer. He got into my Bios on my computer and turned it on. Still though i had trouble. I then tried with a router and the internet worked fine then.

However, using a router, although the internet worked fine, i started getting massive packet loss on online gaming and he suggested i change my ethernet lead to a cat6 one.

I did this, changed the lead to a cat6 ethernet cable and even had virgin round to re-route my broadband as i was setting up the new computer in a different room.
After i had it re-routed, and plugged a cat6 0.5m ethernet cable between the modem and my computer, it started working fine, no need for a modem, and its worked fine since.

Before i did all this i printed off the broadband installation guide on virgin media's website for windows vista and it says this:

step1. plug one end of your ethernet cable into the back of your cable modem, and the other end into the back of the pc. then esnure the power cable and coaxial cable are connected to your cable modem and switch the power on. (note have pc off at this point).
step 2. Turn on PC.
Step 3. Next double click on Internet Explorer on your desktop oe click START>INTERNET EXPLORER. Youll need to type https://autoreg.autoregister.net into your adress bar and then hit enter. Now select the "broadband" button.
Step4. Once youve done this, follow the on screen instructions to set up your account. This will inlude creating an email address, password and security question.

You need to have on hand the letter we sent you with your PIN, surname and serial number. This was sent to you separatly. If you dont have the letter then ring us on 151 from a virgin phone or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone.

Anyhow, that above didnt help me at the time as i couldnt get a connection but it doesnt hurt to post just incase it works for you.
I think i just got lucky with mine, and hope you resolve yours soon.
lee

maverick
28-03-2008, 19:30

Try the following:

Unscrew the coaxial lead from the modem,disable and re enable the network connection in vista.Reconnect the coaxial cable to the modem,reboot the modem.When the modem has locked on disable and re enable the connection in vista.

John A
08-04-2008, 15:57
hello again have not been able to get back to your posts for a while sorry and thankyou to everyone for the suggestions. Well after asking virgin for a new modem on wednesday 26th march i waited and waited for it and it never came then the following wednesday i called them they told me it takes 5-7 days not including weekends so i waited until the friday and still no sign so on the monday i called again and was told they will send out another modem, they again told me 5-7 days so now i wait again. have tried all of your suggestions and nothing has worked do you guys think that a new modem will work? or am i wasting my time waiting for it? thankyou

webcrawler2050
08-04-2008, 16:15
Follow this:

>> Start >> Programs >> Accessories >> Command Prompt >> Right click on command promt, run as administrator

Type in the black box:

ipconfig /release

then

ipconfig /renew

this should fix the issue

dunno
09-04-2008, 01:52
i just had this problem with my acer laptop phoned up acer and thay said that the recent vista updates had changed the internet settings he talked through how to fix and done internet back

webcrawler2050
10-04-2008, 02:55
Lmao - thats funny as chuff -

I have Vista on an Acer Laptop - Acer Apsire 5290G - I had no problems what so ever with the updates. Some tech support make me laugh!

the-cable-guy
10-04-2008, 03:02
i know it sounds obvious but have you (re)installed your ethernet drivers ? Vista & VM do work together iv used both in the past with no problems.