PDA

View Full Version : 50Mb Connection Problems

grabbi
25-03-2008, 15:43
Heres one for the future.

http://www.connected-home-news.com/content/view/664/47/

Basically, dont go phoning Virgin CS up because your not getting 50Mb (when its available) because its either your Routers or your PCs fault.

They arent configured to receive such high speeds, so I am led to believe that Virgin will be sending out Instruction Letters and/emails and a web page for setting it up to get the optimum speeds from your connection.

Ive also heard down the grapevine, that as 50Mb becomes available, the price will be somewhere in the region of £40-£50, with 20Mb staying at £30, or even dropping to £25.

Basically, the speeds prices are being lowered because of the competition in the martket from ADSL, and also that 50Mb is being plugged as "Perfect for HD Video Download" particularly across Xbox Live.

Now, given you probably fork out somewhere in the region of £220 average for the console, then £25 for the Subscription to Live, then your £40 for games, your not going to be wanting to pay LOADS for your Broadband, especially if its just going to be for downloading HD movies, which also cost a few quid.

One question that stays in the mind is whether VIP customers will get an upgrade from 20Mb to 50Mb, and whether there will be a price rise if such a thing happened.

Given the fact that VIP customers pay £7 more than NORMAL 20Mb customers for their Broadband, a free upgrade should work out dandy!

TraxData
25-03-2008, 15:47
The price is going to be £47/month for 50mbit.

VIP members are not getting a free upgrade from 20 to 50 (why should you?)

xspeedyx
25-03-2008, 15:52
mmmm £10 more no bad at all for more than a double increase of broadband speed however dont think I need it

grabbi
25-03-2008, 16:27
The price is going to be £47/month for 50mbit.

VIP members are not getting a free upgrade from 20 to 50 (why should you?)

Because I have a 360! :P

v0id
25-03-2008, 16:42
Ive also heard down the grapevine, that as 50Mb becomes available, the price will be somewhere in the region of £40-£50, with 20Mb staying at £30, or even dropping to £25.

The current price is £37p/m :confused:

mrk2y
25-03-2008, 16:45
and I have a PS3 :P

saabmania2
25-03-2008, 20:05
and I have a PS3 :P

And i have both and a wii :hyper::LOL:

so anyway what does it matter what you do or don't have at the end of the day i think the concensus on here is that 20meg users will not get a automatic upgrade to the 50meg service. i do think however that vm should put the price down for the 20meg for vip customers as why should we pay more for it than someone who just has BB i thought the idea of the vip pack was that you get all the best services that vm have to offer at a discounted rate due to taking the top package.

i will be asking for a reduction in the price next time i phone them from the £37 p.m to the new price of £25 p.m if they won't do it i wil canx BB and then re-order it under my wifes name.

lostandconfused
25-03-2008, 20:22
And i have both and a wii :hyper::LOL:

so anyway what does it matter what you do or don't have at the end of the day i think the concensus on here is that 20meg users will not get a automatic upgrade to the 50meg service. i do think however that vm should put the price down for the 20meg for vip customers as why should we pay more for it than someone who just has BB i thought the idea of the vip pack was that you get all the best services that vm have to offer at a discounted rate due to taking the top package.

i will be asking for a reduction in the price next time i phone them from the £37 p.m to the new price of £25 p.m if they won't do it i wil canx BB and then re-order it under my wifes name.

But thats the whole thing, your not paying £37 a month for it, it is part of a package.

The people paying £25 a month still get a bill for £37 with a £12 credit on it, just like you get your £34.50 credit off your bill everymonth

and if you cancel the BB bit you will lose the VIP discount as it is tied into all services

xspeedyx
25-03-2008, 20:40
But thats the whole thing, your not paying £37 a month for it, it is part of a package.

The people paying £25 a month still get a bill for £37 with a £12 credit on it, just like you get your £34.50 credit off your bill everymonth

and if you cancel the BB bit you will lose the VIP discount as it is tied into all services

Couldnt have said it better but remember customers dont see the minus just the pluses

grabbi
27-03-2008, 03:10
Some of us get a separate bill... so Ill be excused from those calculations, thanks very much. :D

saabmania2
27-03-2008, 06:48

perhaps you should read and pay my bill for me then i pay a seperate bill for £37 for bb
then i get a seperate bill for £62 for xl tv and xl phone there is no discounts on there yet i signed for there vip package of £85 but together i pay £99 so please explane that as you seem to know more about my bill than i do.
so i think i will be asking for a reduction.

so if it is supposed to be part of my package then i'm being ripped off again, i do not get a credit on my bill like you seem to think i do.
so your comments don't really stand up until you know the situation that vm have put people in by messing up there bills since changing to the vip package.
perhaps i should have stayed on my old package. i was then paying half what i am now,but the only thing i have gained was a v+ box and so called 20meg bb but i've never seen anything like that speed. most of the time i don't get much more than the 4 meg service but at least that was a constant 4meg.;)

---------- Post added at 06:48 ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 ----------

Couldnt have said it better but remember customers dont see the minus just the pluses

i have not got any minus signs darth except the one's on my bank account each month because of vm.(but then vm need the money more than i do)lol.
so you could have said it better.
rather than criticise it might help if sometimes you could find out if people do really have a case for complaint and as a vm employee perhaps you could try and help people now and again and change a habbit of a lifetime :)

lostandconfused
27-03-2008, 09:35
perhaps you should read and pay my bill for me then i pay a seperate bill for £37 for bb
then i get a seperate bill for £62 for xl tv and xl phone there is no discounts on there yet i signed for there vip package of £85 but together i pay £99 so please explane that as you seem to know more about my bill than i do.
snip:)

You said in an above post that you were on the VIP package, hence my post.
If you get a separate BB bill then you should be charged £37 for that and another bill for XL TV with Sports & movies (one V+ one standard box)and XL telco with talk int and mob for £47 plus call charges making £85 in total.

If thats not what your paying then you need to speak to CS and they will put the correct discounts on there. This offer isnt time limited (unlike most of the BB offers like half price for 3 months etc)

xspeedyx
27-03-2008, 09:41

so if it is supposed to be part of my package then i'm being ripped off again, i do not get a credit on my bill like you seem to think i do.
so your comments don't really stand up until you know the situation that vm have put people in by messing up there bills since changing to the vip package.
perhaps i should have stayed on my old package. i was then paying half what i am now,but the only thing i have gained was a v+ box and so called 20meg bb but i've never seen anything like that speed. most of the time i don't get much more than the 4 meg service but at least that was a constant 4meg.;)

---------- Post added at 06:48 ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 ----------

i have not got any minus signs darth except the one's on my bank account each month because of vm.(but then vm need the money more than i do)lol.
so you could have said it better.
rather than criticise it might help if sometimes you could find out if people do really have a case for complaint and as a vm employee perhaps you could try and help people now and again and change a habbit of a lifetime :)

As you havent been given the correct package thats not my fault I am always willing t help people that do have a problem but it gets on my tits when people just ingore the fact and more to the point if ur exntl then I do feel sorry for you as that company was a shamble however my comment was in genral not directed at yo so dont try and tell me I should be good at my job I have seen it all so I know what I am talking aout

saabmania2
27-03-2008, 17:57
As you havent been given the correct package thats not my fault I am always willing t help people that do have a problem but it gets on my tits when people just ingore the fact and more to the point if ur exntl then I do feel sorry for you as that company was a shamble however my comment was in genral not directed at yo so dont try and tell me I should be good at my job I have seen it all so I know what I am talking aout

Darth read your above post again all you where doing was criticising customers and saying that we don't see the minuses only the pluses, well i can tell you that i have phoned vm 6 times to sort this out as i'm on the £85 vip pack being charged £99 per month for the last 7 months each month i phoned up vm and everytime they agree that i am being charged too much and that i will receive a refund on my next bill!!! that never happens and when the next bill come's in it still the same.
i never said that you don't do you job properly so stop throwing your toys out:), i only said with regards to your post above that before you criticise people i.e i couldn't have said that better myself comment find out what the fault is first some of us on here are not stupid and can read a bill you know.:D

i have a degree and masters degree in structual engineering and i earn over £160,000 per year deep sea diving on oil rigs. so please don't think that all of us customers are thick and can't read a bill, i have the regard not to call vm customer services thick (even though they can't sort out a simple problem.) all i'm saying is don't tar everyone with the same brush.:p:

moaningmags
27-03-2008, 18:06
Basically, dont go phoning Virgin CS up because your not getting 50Mb (when its available) because its either your Routers or your PCs fault.

They arent configured to receive such high speeds, so I am led to believe that Virgin will be sending out Instruction Letters and/emails and a web page for setting it up to get the optimum speeds from your connection."

Why would they send out letters or emails when they don't support home networking?
They support modem direct to computer, no ifs no buts.

Druchii
29-03-2008, 01:53

They arent configured to receive such high speeds, so I am led to believe that Virgin will be sending out Instruction Letters and/emails and a web page for setting it up to get the optimum speeds from your connection."

Why would they send out letters or emails when they don't support home networking?
They support modem direct to computer, no ifs no buts.
They do support home networking, IF the router came from them. (Otherwise there are too many things that could be wrong)

moaningmags
29-03-2008, 04:19
Yes they do but only if supplied by them.
I was questioning why VM would send a letter to people using unsupported equipment.

lostandconfused
29-03-2008, 07:56
Yes they do but only if supplied by them.
I was questioning why VM would send a letter to people using unsupported equipment.

Probably because at the moment a lot of calls into TS are about slow speeds on the 20mb service a lot of the time it is down to customers equipment (not always)

So they have identified it as a big call driver so are being proactive and sending out some information before hand.

Bri_G
30-03-2008, 21:25
Check this out!

Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:14:11 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 27 ms = 37925.9 KB/sec, approx 312509 Kbps, 305.18 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 21 ms = 48761.9 KB/sec, approx 401798 Kbps, 392.38 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 22 ms = 46545.5 KB/sec, approx 383535 Kbps, 374.55 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 49 ms = 41795.9 KB/sec, approx 344398 Kbps, 336.33 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 360560 Kbps, 352.11 Mbps

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

There was a bit at the bottom that read:

These results appear to be quite fast - this page could possibly be in your browser cache.

To repeat this test from the source server click here.

Sort of spoils the illusion doesn't it?

huyi
30-03-2008, 22:53
Check this out!

Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:14:11 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 27 ms = 37925.9 KB/sec, approx 312509 Kbps, 305.18 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 21 ms = 48761.9 KB/sec, approx 401798 Kbps, 392.38 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 22 ms = 46545.5 KB/sec, approx 383535 Kbps, 374.55 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 49 ms = 41795.9 KB/sec, approx 344398 Kbps, 336.33 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 360560 Kbps, 352.11 Mbps

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

There was a bit at the bottom that read:

These results appear to be quite fast - this page could possibly be in your browser cache.

To repeat this test from the source server click here.

Sort of spoils the illusion doesn't it?

i got speeds like that last week, but it's gone back to 4meg now though :(