PDA

View Full Version : BT Master Socker works with Virgin Number.

nhaslum
25-03-2008, 11:16
Apologies if this is me being braindead.
I'm switching back to BT (shouldn't be relevant coz I noticed this before I'd made the call) and on their website is says if you plug a phone into the BT Master socket and get a tone then you don't have to pay anything for reactivation. So I plugged and phone in and got a dialtone, all well and good, so then I rang my mobile and it said my Virgin number was calling! I may be thick but the BT master socket hasn't got anything to do with the Virgin line, so why would this be? I can't remember what the Virgin (telewest at the time) did to install the line. The socket I normally plug into, runs under the skirting and I can't see where it goes to.

Any thoughts (even if it's telling me I'm stupid and I should remember what they did at the time)
:)
Thanks.

LondonRoad
25-03-2008, 11:57
Have you been disconnected from Virgin yet?
If not it sounds like that socket is an extension of you current phone wiring.

When you switched from BT to Virgin did you retain your original phone number?

nhaslum
25-03-2008, 12:41
no I'm not disconnected yet, it goes through on 11/4 as I'm keeping the number. I've had Virgin since a week after I moved in nearly two years ago so it was a new number (I cancelled the BT account when I moved out of my previous house).

LondonRoad
25-03-2008, 12:53
Did the previous occupant have BT?

All my phone sockets are labelled BT but there has never been a BT line in my house. We got Telewest in 3 years ago so I assume if we ever did change we'd have to get a BT engineer out. No intentions of changing though - happy enough with service. I was with BT before moving but they wanted something ridiculous for installing into a new property (about £120 if my memory serves me right) whereas Telewest were free. That's what choice is about.

Wicked_and_Crazy
25-03-2008, 13:26
Has the BT master socket and Virgin been linked together somewhere in you house? We linked ours together as it then mean't all the sockets in the house became VM sockets

nhaslum
25-03-2008, 14:00
Did the previous occupant have BT?

All my phone sockets are labelled BT but there has never been a BT line in my house. We got Telewest in 3 years ago so I assume if we ever did change we'd have to get a BT engineer out. No intentions of changing though - happy enough with service. I was with BT before moving but they wanted something ridiculous for installing into a new property (about £120 if my memory serves me right) whereas Telewest were free. That's what choice is about.

They must have done because when I rang BT they said it was just "suspended" (I think) so it wont cost anything to reactivate on the exchange, I'm slightly worried that if my BT master socket is linked to the cable in some way, then it's not going to work when BT switch me over on 11/4, the previous occupants didn't have cable. I think I might ring Virgin, but I know they'll say they're not allowed to touch the BT socket.

piggy
25-03-2008, 19:50
They must have done because when I rang BT they said it was just "suspended" (I think) so it wont cost anything to reactivate on the exchange, I'm slightly worried that if my BT master socket is linked to the cable in some way, then it's not going to work when BT switch me over on 11/4, the previous occupants didn't have cable. I think I might ring Virgin, but I know they'll say they're not allowed to touch the BT socket.

you will need a bt engineer out to reconnect your socket so it will cost £120

nhaslum
26-03-2008, 09:43
thanks all for your assistance.

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

just got this back from VM:-

"Thanks for getting in touch about an issue with your Virgin Media
service.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the current issue you are
experiencing.

In many cases the leads are switched at the pit to allow calls to
comethrough your chosen provider. There will be no issue if you ever