PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Are Robbing Us!

Chad Schmidt
24-03-2008, 15:58
why pay for something that we dont want? what kind of ISP decreases the browsing speed, downloading speed, ping at PEAK TIMES when we need it the most...and were paying for it!!! daylight robbery is what it is!!!

DC_FC79
24-03-2008, 16:14
If your not happy then do something about it

Toto
24-03-2008, 16:16
why pay for something that we dont want? what kind of ISP decreases the browsing speed, downloading speed, ping at PEAK TIMES when we need it the most...and were paying for it!!! daylight robbery is what it is!!!

Well, if your just gonna stand there in front of an invisible mugger.....;)

Chad Schmidt
24-03-2008, 16:23
what can i do seriously? ive tried customer service, they didn't help at all. ive tried changing wires, filters etc..., again no help. ive got an engineer round, that didn't help, the only thing left is to cancel my contract and that will cost 150 and im not paying for that! what else can i do? any suggestions? and also isnt anyone else annoyed by this?

Paul K
24-03-2008, 16:27
Erm the only thing that you can do is terminate the contract, changing "wires" will do nothing to stop the traffic shaping. If you want to terminate you can go down the route of major change to contractual conditions to try and get out of paying to the end of your contracted period, can I ask how long you have been with VM if its going to cost £150 to leave?

Toto
24-03-2008, 16:30
what can i do seriously? ive tried customer service, they didn't help at all. ive tried changing wires, filters etc..., again no help. ive got an engineer round, that didn't help, the only thing left is to cancel my contract and that will cost 150 and im not paying for that! what else can i do? any suggestions? and also isnt anyone else annoyed by this?

What's the health of your PC like? Anything nasty on there that could be hogging your bandwidth.

Are you runing any network intensive programs in the background, such as file sharing systems?

Do you connect to a wireless router, is it secure, are your neighbors able to leach your connection for free?

Is your connection speed better outside of peak times?

There will be loads annoyed by poor speeds, but in my opinion its not justified if they can't hold up their hands and say without any doubt....it's not my PC mate.

BBKing
24-03-2008, 16:32
what kind of ISP decreases the browsing speed, downloading speed, ping at PEAK TIMES when we need it the most...and were paying for it!!! daylight robbery is what it is!!!

'What kind of Government runs a road system that is slower at PEAK TIMES when we need it the most'

Er, hello?

Chad Schmidt
24-03-2008, 16:36
pc is fine, no file sharing, dsl runs through cable and yeh my speeds improve during 12am-1pm (off peak)

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

'What kind of Government runs a road system that is slower at PEAK TIMES when we need it the most'

Er, hello?

yeh but does the goverment advertise 'superfast traffic'

no.

Sirius
24-03-2008, 16:37
pc is fine, no file sharing, dsl runs through cable and yeh my speeds improve during 12am-1pm (off peak)

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

yeh but does the goverment advertise 'superfast traffic'

no.

So are you on DSL or Cable modem ?

Chad Schmidt
24-03-2008, 16:39
DSL Modem

zing_deleted
24-03-2008, 16:40

Er, hello?

Maybe one thats put to many cars on the road lol

For a clever man it appears the meaning of contention has passed you by ;)

lostandconfused
24-03-2008, 17:14
The only way for an ISP to provide the same level of serivce no matter what time of day, and how many people come online during peak hours is to have a huge amount of redundant bandwidth available. Would you like to pay for that? I dont.

If you do, can i suggest moving to a different provider that is less contended (obviously will cost more)

MovedGoalPosts
24-03-2008, 17:31
I can see you are using the ADSL service from Virgin. As with most broadband services they are contended, i.e. shared, with other users. Thus what people nearby are doing will affect the bandwidth available to you. It's to be expected that at Peak hours more users will be on line and thus you all slow each other.

With ADSL your service speed is also affected by the quality of your phone line connection, and the distance from the exchange.

Other ADSL based ISPs will also be prone to contention issues, but depending on their popularity, and who is doing what, this could be better or worse in your local area.

xspeedyx
24-03-2008, 17:36
Every ISP will have bandwidth troubles in peak times as no ISP can keep up with the demand fair enought my bb speeds can be **** at peak times but I deal with it for 2 main reason ADSL is worse 3Mb max (no thank you) o yeah and I work for VM and not really pay that much for my broadband. Best thing to do is write in to customer concern and see what they can do and call faults make sure you logg the calls and if they say no u cnt cancel have the evidence there to prove that your speeds are shocking, another thing you might wanan try is pming a mod and see if they can help they have been known to do wonders no harm in trying, spouting on a forum aint gonna get you anywhere.

Good luck

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:35 ----------

ingore my post sorry didnt see Robs post

Toto
24-03-2008, 18:21
DSL Modem

Ohhhh, Virgin DSL, nuff zed!