PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Double Glazing

Orior
24-03-2008, 11:32
There is condensation inside one of my double glazed windows. Its over 10 years old. Can it be fixed?

cleshe
24-03-2008, 11:40
There is condensation inside one of my double glazed windows. Its over 10 years old. Can it be fixed?

Theoretically possible, cheaper to replace (just glazing unit) in practice.Just had all mine replaced, as most were misting.Pleasantly surprised at the cost.If you are within touching distance of Stoke on Trent I'll put you in touch with the people who did such a good job for me.I've no idea where Beale Feirste is.

Matthew
24-03-2008, 12:35
I've no idea where Beale Feirste is.

Northern Ireland if correct.

Taf
24-03-2008, 12:37
A local trader here will remove the glazed units, dry the air inside, then replace it with an inert gas... all on site...

Nidge
24-03-2008, 13:16
A local trader here will remove the glazed units, dry the air inside, then replace it with an inert gas... all on site...

Inert gas filled units are a waste of money, your better off having the unit dried out and new seals put on the unit. The Inert gas system is a money making ploy they highlighted it on Rouge Traders a few months ago when a Double Glazing were investigated, they had a guy on who said this Inert Gas in Double glazed units didn't work at all

MovedGoalPosts
24-03-2008, 13:20
For a while, Argon was used to fill between the panes. In theory it produced better thermal performance.

handyman
24-03-2008, 13:30
For a while, Argon was used to fill between the panes. In theory it produced better thermal performance.

It is still used in certain applications and is a tight pain as it needs to be gassed then sealed very quickly.

Modern glazed units have silica in the silver spacer bar to remove moisture. Of course if they are not sealed properly then this fails quite fast.

See if you can get replacement glazing fitted as you will get k glass now.

Orior
24-03-2008, 23:30
Thanks people.

tweetypie/8
25-03-2008, 00:23

buy a new unit,not joking

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

Northern Ireland if correct.

100% correct :tu: irish for belfast.

J..M
25-03-2008, 01:16
I bought a new 20mm sealed unit 4.5 ft Sq for £70.00 inc the vat ..... Ok I had to fit it myself .... But that's how much they cost in the real world (Traders will charge hundreds for them installed) ..... Any other solution is just madness.

The usual reason for DGU seals failing early (Less than 8 years) is people insist on cleaning them..... Simply put, people use washing up liquid, dishwasher powder & all manor of squirtys to clean their windows, it rolls down the glass gets behind the rubbers & munches away at the seals...... Use car shampoo if you must use something, but the 2 or 3 quid a bottle stuff...... If you just use the cheapy 99p for a gallon supermarket special stuff it'll be worse than washing up liquid.... Which is pretty evil.