PDA

View Full Version : In new build house Q's.

pizdfish
23-03-2008, 23:10
Hello

About 6 month's ago i moved from a house with a Virgin Media link. It all went fine and then i moved into a new build house just built in september 2007 and have just got settled in and want to start VM again and i was wondering if there was any rules or regulations or a certain age the house has to be to stop virgn media from getting wired into my house. I am in a cabled street but my house does not appear on the website's postcode search. What shall I do because im am completly lost here. I have not contacted them yet and i really just want some information on how old a house has to be or what might stop it getting put in. :confused: **EDIT**[ I forgot to mention i have contacted them before and they kept going and asking their legal department and apparently they are not aloud to enter new buildings due to regulations.]

thanks

pizdfish.

Stuart
23-03-2008, 23:27
The problem is that around 2000, both NTL and Telewest (as they were then) pretty much stopped installing cable to new houses. I am not saying that they haven't installed new cable since, but that's when they seemed to stop.

However, if your street is cabled, you may be able to get service. You need to phone up and request a site survey. The surveyor's team (assuming you own the house, or your landlord has given wayleave) should be able to order a new installation.

frogstamper
23-03-2008, 23:31
Hello

About 6 month's ago i moved from a house with a Virgin Media link. It all went fine and then i moved into a new build house just built in september 2007 and have just got settled in and want to start VM again and i was wondering if there was any rules or regulations or a certain age the house has to be to stop virgn media from getting wired into my house. I am in a cabled street but my house does not appear on the website's postcode search. What shall I do because im am completly lost here. I have not contacted them yet and i really just want some information on how old a house has to be or what might stop it getting put in. :confused:

thanks

pizdfish.

A similar thing happened when my sister moved last year, prior to moving she had lived in a cabled road and had been with VM [C+W and Nynex] for years. The new place, although not a new build is in a cabled road but had never been connected, she got in touch with VM who sent a guy out to check the property and within a few weeks the house was connected to the network. The only problem she had was that the front garden had been "block paved" and they didn't want to touch that, so they took a longer route to the house, a minor problem. The only thing is I cant remember if she had to pay for this.

pizdfish
24-03-2008, 01:16
---------- Post added at 00:16 ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 23:19 ----------

The problem is that around 2000, both NTL and Telewest (as they were then) pretty much stopped installing cable to new houses. I am not saying that they haven't installed new cable since, but that's when they seemed to stop.

However, if your street is cabled, you may be able to get service. You need to phone up and request a site survey. The surveyor's team (assuming you own the house, or your landlord has given wayleave) should be able to order a new installation.

did i mention that they said they have some regulations that they cannot enter new buildings but i think this is a load of ******** because my brother got VM in his newly built house.

pizdfish
24-03-2008, 22:43
Ok, i have been on the virgin media postcode search and at the bottom it says if your house is not there click here. i filled in the form and they are getting back to me within 72hours so i am keeping my fingers crossed for a positive reply.

saabmania2
26-03-2008, 07:47
Ok, i have been on the virgin media postcode search and at the bottom it says if your house is not there click here. i filled in the form and they are getting back to me within 72hours so i am keeping my fingers crossed for a positive reply.

Good luck, just keep your fingers crossed for any sort of reply :)

jungleguy
27-03-2008, 10:35
---------- Post added at 00:16 ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 23:19 ----------

did i mention that they said they have some regulations that they cannot enter new buildings but i think this is a load of ******** because my brother got VM in his newly built house.

They cant dig up a pavement within 2 years of the developer laying it otherwise the local council won't adopt the pavement. New building may require a wayleaf.

pizdfish
24-04-2008, 21:32
thankyou, im on 8mb bt now and am happy

jungleguy
24-04-2008, 21:37
upto 8mb you mean..... thats anything between 0 and 8mb. and at a huge price, BT are one of the most expensive ISP. excluding rubbish introductory offers.

sorry you couldn't get cable mate

brundles
11-05-2008, 00:49

Thought I'd dig this one out after looking around a local new-build earlier today.

From talking to them, there will be no VM cable as VM wouldn't pay them to put the infrastructure in while the houses were being built. I can understand not wanting the costs of digging up streets, etc, but when the builder is offering to put it in when the estate is being built surely that makes sense?

the-cable-guy
11-05-2008, 01:06
[C+W and Nynex]

Nynex now theres a blast from the past. whatever happened to them ?

---------- Post added at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

Thought I'd dig this one out after looking around a local new-build earlier today.

From talking to them, there will be no VM cable as VM wouldn't pay them to put the infrastructure in while the houses were being built. I can understand not wanting the costs of digging up streets, etc, but when the builder is offering to put it in when the estate is being built surely that makes sense?

you would of thought so wouldnt you (providing the builder knows how to do it properly).

brundles
11-05-2008, 22:15
you would of thought so wouldnt you (providing the builder knows how to do it properly).

Not to mention that being on the border between 2 exchanges means slow ADSL speeds whatever you do - the best I've heard of so far round here is 3meg. I know all of our neighbours are with VM. This would (probably) have been a cheaper than normal cable-laying job for a relatively high % of connections - all no new contracts...

pizdfish
01-06-2008, 02:13
I am pretty happy though off peak i get average 2mb/.5mb up