PDA

View Full Version : Exhange Advice Please

paintball
23-03-2008, 10:22
Hi all

I run a game website where it is important that we keep things fair and there is only one account per user. Unfortunately I have a problem user who has been banned for a while to come. There are big suspicions that he has had his IP changed by VM and rejoined the site.

My questions are:

what does the cpc represent at the start of the isp info? ie cpc1 and cpc2

would VM relocate a previously used customer number to someone requesting a change? ie cust579 to cust 123

and would VM confirm if the latest IP is used by the same guy as the previous IP? If so who should I ask?

I'd really appreciate any help on this one

cheers

Graham M
23-03-2008, 11:00
1. VM won't change someone's IP for them
2. An IP change normally means a change of MAC address (IE of a Network Card or Router depending on what is connected to the Modem)
3. The Cust number I beleive is based on the IP address so yes that would change
4. The CPC code is probably the name/location of their UBR

Toto
23-03-2008, 12:36
VM will not tell you, or confirm a customers IP address.

It is easy for anyone to get a new IP address and therefore bypass any bans placed soly on an IP address.

The only hope you may have is to look up the IP address in RIPE (www.ripe.net) and consider banning that CIDR range.

Do so carefully though, as you may be banning innocent users, and could advertently lock yourself out if you live in the same region as the person you are tring to ban.

chickendippers
23-03-2008, 15:29
As with most ISPs, Virgin Media provide a dynamic IP service, so customer's IP addresses change from time to time. Nothing you can do about that.

cleshe
23-03-2008, 16:30
Hi all

I run a game website where it is important that we keep things fair and there is only one account per user. Unfortunately I have a problem user who has been banned for a while to come. There are big suspicions that he has had his IP changed by VM and rejoined the site.

My questions are:

what does the cpc represent at the start of the isp info? ie cpc1 and cpc2

would VM relocate a previously used customer number to someone requesting a change? ie cust579 to cust 123

and would VM confirm if the latest IP is used by the same guy as the previous IP? If so who should I ask?

I'd really appreciate any help on this one

cheers

I doubt you'd be happy if your supplier told others your details. Why expect different in this case?

paintball
24-03-2008, 02:32
Thx guys

i feared as much

looks like to stop one guy ruining a good game that all users from a certain part of a town will have to be banned :rolleyes:

Cleshe
Thx for the constructive post. My request was not bogged down in politics or etiquette, it was purely seeking help on fixing an issue caused by a person who is being a major pain in the backside for a lot of people. At the very least he will affect his neighbours now

Jon T
24-03-2008, 09:29
doesn't the server have an accounts based membership system or something simiar.

Can't you just ban based on that?

If the server doesn't have any form of login, then perhaps it's time to find a server that does.

Graham M
24-03-2008, 10:43
then perhaps it's time to find a server that does.
How is that gonna work with respect to playing their current game?

Jon T
24-03-2008, 11:04
Sorry i'll be more precise for the picky and pedantic amongst us.

Is there some way that you could require that an account be set up before players can log on the the server, that way you could ban the account.

Or find a server for the same game that requires that users have an account.

MovedGoalPosts
24-03-2008, 11:10
Dependent on the game type, it's sometimes possible to look beyond the IP and see the player's ID key and ban by that. The ID key would refer to the CD that the player created. This works for many games that use the punkbuster anti cheat.

paintball
24-03-2008, 18:49
thx for the extra interest guys

JonT

we are working on an anti cheat program but this is purely for in game issues

in terms of how the membership works then it is forum based ..... we can ban through this

in terms of servers anyone can create them but they are advertised on the forum - they are controlled by the users not by the site (although we have general rules for those servers)

The issue here for the long term health of the game that this guy is pushing.... is that he has created a new IP, created a new account, is pretending to be a newbie which has all kinds of implications for our league system, and therefore avoided the ban. In the past I have banned IP ranges but they have been in countries where we hardly get any users. The town in question this time is not a small one and will see future users who wish to play the game banned through no fault of their own

thx for the punkbuster tip rob..... i'll look into that