PDA

View Full Version : White spots in throat?

Russ
23-03-2008, 00:02
I've had a sore throat for several days now and this evening I've only just noticed I have a few white spots at the top/back of my throat. A quick google points to tonsilitus but I had my tonsils out 27 years ago.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Cobbydaler
23-03-2008, 00:06
Thrush (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/oralthrush.htm)?

Russ
23-03-2008, 00:08
Yuck, I hope not :(

homealone
23-03-2008, 00:49
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strep_throat

possibly ;)

handyman
23-03-2008, 01:19
Could be tonsil stones?

v0id
23-03-2008, 01:22
Take a trip to your GPs office, or ask your local pharmacist :/

SMG
23-03-2008, 01:51
Deffo the clap m8, comes from chewing pencils made from recycled bog seats.;)

frogstamper
23-03-2008, 03:32
I've had a sore throat for several days now and this evening I've only just noticed I have a few white spots at the top/back of my throat. A quick google points to tonsilitus but I had my tonsils out 27 years ago.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be?

I would definitely put my money on oral thrush also, I know it sounds icky but its no big deal, babies are also susceptible too this strain of thrush. You ll need to see your GP for a course of antibiotics, if it turns out not to be thrush though at least you'll be in the right place. All the best Russ:sick:

Russ
23-03-2008, 08:17
Cheers all, I think it must be thrush - can't get to the doctors until tuesday :(

Fingy
23-03-2008, 08:18
No idea what it could be but gargle luke warm water with salt in it, works wonders.

papa smurf
23-03-2008, 10:16
http://www.familyherbalremedies.com/home_remedy_for_thrush.html

Shaun
23-03-2008, 16:15
I would definitely put my money on oral thrush also, I know it sounds icky but its no big deal, babies are also susceptible too this strain of thrush. You ll need to see your GP for a course of antibiotics, if it turns out not to be thrush though at least you'll be in the right place. All the best Russ:sick:

Antibiotics won't cure thrush, its a fungus. They are known to cause it in some instances :)

Mouthwash like crazy after meals and it should start to get better. If not then see the doctor or pharmacist.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=618&sectionId=1

Ramrod
23-03-2008, 16:24
Thrush (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/oralthrush.htm)?Thats what I thought :tu:

---------- Post added at 15:24 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

Cheers all, I think it must be thrush - can't get to the doctors until tuesday :(
edit....and so do you :)

Russ
23-03-2008, 16:32
Antibiotics won't cure thrush, its a fungus. They are known to cause it in some instances :)

Mouthwash like crazy after meals and it should start to get better. If not then see the doctor or pharmacist.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=618&sectionId=1

I used Listrine this morning and my throat stung like it's on fire. My daughter's mother works in a pharmacy and she reckons over-the-counter remedies won't do much. Looks like a wait til tuesday then :(

Chimaera
23-03-2008, 16:38
If it's really bad, have you got an out of hours GP service that would see you? Try ringing your normal GP number and the answerphone should give you the details.
When my daughter had this it turned out to be glandular fever - hope that's not the case.

Russ
23-03-2008, 17:10
It's not painful enough to warrant an out-of-hours appointment, just annoying. Got a cold and sneezing like nuts too. And sciatica. Tiz not good to be me right now :(

Chimaera
23-03-2008, 17:25
It's not painful enough to warrant an out-of-hours appointment, just annoying. Got a cold and sneezing like nuts too. And sciatica. Tiz not good to be me right now :(
Ah - man flu! :D
Get well soon!

Russ
23-03-2008, 17:28
Man flu?? Don't be daft.

zing_deleted
23-03-2008, 17:33
Gotta ask cant stop myself. What you been sucking dude lol lol

Russ
23-03-2008, 17:37
Eggs? I dunno...

Taf
23-03-2008, 19:02
Gargling with an alcohol-based mouthwash can help too....

frogstamper
23-03-2008, 19:58
Gargling with an alcohol-based mouthwash can help too....

Ah!! I see, wheres the whiskey;)

jadylady5233
13-05-2009, 13:31
their tonsil stones!! ive had them on and off for a while and i litterally just gargled with listerine and a lump i had for nearly a week came straight off!! i got them after having glandular fever but they are nothing to worry about their just horrible to have!! and apparently the only long term cure is to have ur tonsils removed but i dunno bout u i cant be bothered with that when listerine gets them off!! i also noticed if i have a vodka drink their normally gone in the morning too! hope it works for u!

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

ive just read that u get sciatica!! me too! how weird! do u know a good way to get that to **** off??

Pia
13-05-2009, 18:25
I have sciatica too!

Russ has strep throat IMO.

Raistlin
13-05-2009, 18:30
I have sciatica too!

Russ has strep throat IMO.

<Looks at date on original post.....>

Had, most likely - if he's still got it now he should be really worried :erm:

Maggy
13-05-2009, 18:30
I hope he hasn't got what I've still got after 2 and a half weeks...tho' I'm much better.:erm:

Pia
13-05-2009, 18:33
Lol i paid no attention to the first post, i just read it as it was top of the page :D

Russ
13-05-2009, 18:38
Lol i paid no attention to the first post, i just read it as it was top of the page :D

*blonde moment* ;)

It was throat thrush and it cleared up a few days later :)

jadylady5233
13-05-2009, 18:43
who told u it was throat thrush?? and if it is how do u get it??

frogstamper
13-05-2009, 20:10
who told u it was throat thrush?? and if it is how do u get it??

Its not what your thinking;) throat thrush is a common ailment in babies also.
As to how you contract it I'm not certain.

AbyssUnderground
13-05-2009, 22:02
I was going to suggest Tonsillitis, as it sounds like what I had and the doc said Tonsillitis to me. Took 2 weeks to clear up!

Also I thought Oral Thrush was a fungal infection on the tongue where it had a white coating all the time? I have that but nothing seems to be able to get rid of it. I just live with it, have for years now.

Mr_love_monkey
13-05-2009, 22:50
yeah, my son had it twice - but no one is quite sure what causes it - but for us it happened both times we used one of these travel bottle systems - even though the things were throughly cleaned..

jadylady5233
13-05-2009, 23:11
well wat ever it is i know it isnt throat thrush! loads of people have it its called tonsil stones and its a build up of stuff in the holes by your tonsils called cyrpts and then bacteria attacks thats why it smells! theres loads of websites about it!

Mr_love_monkey
13-05-2009, 23:13
well wat ever it is i know it isnt throat thrush! loads of people have it its called tonsil stones and its a build up of stuff in the holes by your tonsils called cyrpts and then bacteria attacks thats why it smells! theres loads of websites about it!

but he's already had it confirmed as oral thrush...

jadylady5233
13-05-2009, 23:35
im only going on the fact that i went to the doctors and he told me the same as all the websites and its the same symptoms but maybe it is!! my bad!!

---------- Post added at 22:35 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

i was talking about the ross guy by the way not ur son!!

Nugget
14-05-2009, 00:17

*blonde moment* ;)

It was throat thrush and it cleared up a few days later :)

im only going on the fact that i went to the doctors and he told me the same as all the websites and its the same symptoms but maybe it is!! my bad!!

---------- Post added at 22:35 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

i was talking about the ross guy by the way not ur son!!

Well, according to the guy who had it (Russ, by the way), it was throat thrush - I'm guessing that it was confirmed by his quack, so the fact that you know it was tonsil stones appears to be a little wide of the mark ;)