PDA

View Full Version : Sky + fan noise

asalcedo
20-03-2008, 11:59
The fan in my Sky + box, Pace 3100, is running constantly. Even when in Standby.

Other than switching it off or disconnecting the power supply to the fan, is it possible to stop the fan in order to avoid the noise?

I am not sure, but before I changed the hard disk to a 250GB Maxtor one I believe that the fan would stop after a while. Now it does not stop even after leaving it overnight.

I have downloaded the latest firmware.

Is the fan supposed to run all the time?

Thanks,

Antonio

Mick Fisher
20-03-2008, 13:31
Is it thermostatically controlled, is your box over heating? Is your new disk creating more heat thus causing this situation.

There's talk that a reboot might return the situation to normallity
http://www.avforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-99908.html

On the other hand maybe your fan has just become noisier causing you to notice it more. Maybe it just needs some lubrication?

asalcedo
20-03-2008, 19:07
Yes, thermostatically controlled is what makes sense, like laptops and many other appliances.

But no luck, mine is always on now, even after a reboot and even after rebooting it after it has cooled down completely.

I think this is a fault, the unit is cold and the hard disk is not spinning, I am going to disconnect the fan, in the worst case I will have to get a newer, quieter box.

I had this same problem with a gigabit switch, I disconnected the fan and is still working after more than five years, even in the very hot summers of south Spain.

Is it thermostatically controlled, is your box over heating? Is your new disk creating more heat thus causing this situation.

There's talk that a reboot might return the situation to normallity
http://www.avforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-99908.html

On the other hand maybe your fan has just become noisier causing you to notice it more. Maybe it just needs some lubrication?

Mick Fisher
20-03-2008, 19:11
Well thermostats frequently just give up the ghost.

Good luck with it.