PDA

View Full Version : house opposite my house can get virgin but i cant???

nho1993
17-03-2008, 16:54
Hi

Ive moved house to a brand new area thats still under construction and im currently on sky but considering moving to virgin. Evryone on the other side of my road can get cable but for some reason when i put my post code in, it says i cant, just wondering why???? is there no way they can run a cable to my side of the road?

Thanks

Aragorn
17-03-2008, 17:06
Are the others part of the same new development? If so, you would think there would be a cable to your side. If they are existing houses your developer may not have spoken to VM about enabling your side of the street.
I don't think VM do much new cable laying unless someone pays - a lot of startup costs the lay new cables and a long RoI if they have to pay themselves.
Of course it 'could' just be a mistake on the website - have rung sales?

nho1993
17-03-2008, 17:16
Are the others part of the same new development? If so, you would think there would be a cable to your side. If they are existing houses your developer may not have spoken to VM about enabling your side of the street.
I don't think VM do much new cable laying unless someone pays - a lot of startup costs the lay new cables and a long RoI if they have to pay themselves.
Of course it 'could' just be a mistake on the website - have rung sales?

Hi

Yes the other side is part of the same development. ill ring them up when i have time and see if it is a mistake or not. i just wanted to order online because of the discounts.

Thanks

jungleguy
21-03-2008, 00:47
It takes a while to get serviceable addresses onto the VM data base. Your address is probably in PRE MARKET stage. What part of the UK are you in?

nho1993
21-03-2008, 00:53
Hi

Im in Bracknell, Berkshire. Still havnt had time to call but will do soon

Thanks

Nidge
21-03-2008, 07:57
Hi

Ive moved house to a brand new area thats still under construction and im currently on sky but considering moving to virgin. Evryone on the other side of my road can get cable but for some reason when i put my post code in, it says i cant, just wondering why???? is there no way they can run a cable to my side of the road?

Thanks

My sister lives on a new build in Mansfield and she gets Virgin BB, when they were building the houses they got the cable gang in to lay the cables, everyone on her estate gets VM.

jungleguy
21-03-2008, 09:23
look outside your house, if you can see some yellow piping with a grey cap on it pocking out of the ground, flush to your exterior wall, then you can definitely have cable. Also take a look at some of the metal man hole covers in the pavement on your side of the road, if you got some that say CATV (cable tv) it would be looking good for you.

cheers

---------- Post added at 08:23 ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 ----------

I should also point out that the online post code checker can be woefully inaccurate

jd1975
19-02-2009, 21:43
I got same issue, it says i cannot have virgin media on there website only virgin.net via bt, but the funny thing is the virgin wire is outside, my window and its been cut. they would only need to run a 1meter wire inside. why cant it be done.

jungleguy
20-02-2009, 08:04
by the sounds of things it probably can be done. Fill out this form

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/forms/unserviceableLeads.html

thamesvalley
21-02-2009, 22:37
Hi

Im in Bracknell, Berkshire. Still havnt had time to call but will do soon

Thanks

Not Peacock Farm/Jennets Park development by chance is it?

If it is, I'm 99% sure you can get cable and its probably just a simple issue of getting the address/postcode loaded on the database.

NB cable ducting is usually green and not yellow.

PM me with your contact details and address and i'll confirm on Monday.

jungleguy
22-02-2009, 11:40
I got my colours muddled Green piping with a yellow cap I meant to say.

KingDaveRa
23-02-2009, 19:29
I hope you don't work for VM on the install team... don't wanna mix up a green duct with a yellow pipe!

You'd want blazing fast broadband, not a blazing inferno ;)

jungleguy
23-02-2009, 22:32
Hi KingDaveRa

Things have been getting to me a bit lately, and I have to say I'm slightly loosing the plot. Ironically I do work closely with installs.

What bothers me is I got non of my colours right. Grey is BT, Green is cable and the yellow cap protects the duct. I originally mentioned yellow ducting with a grey cap. Maybe I was drunk but this was posted at 8.30am.

I think I need a holiday....