PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Internet Gaming...

Ca5s0723
17-03-2008, 13:53
First off, Im new and so hello to all :-)

I noticed quite a few good informative threads whilst browsing this forum trying to see if i can locate my problem but alas it never happened and so here i am asking for some help from some people i hope will be able to shed some light on.

Ok, basically my bro wanted me to go to his house to sort out his Virgin Media broadband in order for him to be able to play his PS3 online.

I initially thought, no problem as it was easy enough for me to do it when i wanted to although im not with Virgin Media(well not with there broadband service anyway) but it proved to be trickier then i had first imagined.

He has no modem(which i found bizarre) as he actually uses the ethernet cable straight from the back of the TV Cable Box into his PC(thats how he acceses broadband online with no prbs at all)

I thought it would just be a case of hooking up the ethernet from the back of the box to the PS3 then as naturally i assumed the TV Cable box was used as the modem too.

When i ran the required setup tests via the PS3 it came up with no IP address detected and so the connection failed :-(

Im stumped as to what to do.

Is the reason being it is not working is because it has no modem?

What steps should i go through in order to rectify the problem and get him online so i can give him many a many spankings online with pes2008?

I thank you in advance greatly,

Andrew

p.s, there are no firewalls setup on the PC by the way.

MovedGoalPosts
17-03-2008, 14:11
There are number of Virgin Media customers in the former ntl areas that receive their broadband via the Set Top Box )STB) which has a built in modem. That form of connection is being phased out since it can't reliably support the top tier speeds, but it is fine for the 4 meg or less speed services.

As with a cable modem, the STB has to be rebooted before it will recognise any new device connected to it.

Setting up the PS3 may be an interesting experience. Devices connected to the STB need to be registered with the Virgin Media Server on first connection, and this would normally be done via a web browser which is automatically redirected to the Virgin Server. An alternative might be to clone the mac address of the current computer into the PS3. As I don't have a PS3, I'm not sure what facilities it has to set things up this way.

Tech_Boy
17-03-2008, 15:11
Your Bro will need to either
1, get a router & "provision" that against the stb & then connect the ps3 to that.
Or
2, contact sales for a Quickstart pack, to swap his connection over to a modem

If it was me, I'd go for option 2, but get a router anyway, so I wouldn't have to mess around with the ethernet cable all the time.

Noggo
17-03-2008, 17:55
Worked fine here when my mate brought his round, but I'm on stand alone cable modem and not set top box. Did you reboot the set top box, as Rob above said. Turn power off to both PS3 and STB, then reboot one at a time. The modem was done first in my case. Then I waited for an connection to be established and turned the PS3 on.

PS3 go to settings,
then go down to network settings,
click setup internet connection,
click wired,
then follow the rest of the stuff until you get to finish

Hope this helps,

Ca5s0723
18-03-2008, 15:36
Thank you all very kindly for your replies :-)

I will get my bro to try to reboot the set top box and PS3 before trying to extablish a connection tonight as we never tried rebooting the set top box prior to trying it out.

Thanks once more and i will let you know if it worked or not tomorrow (fingers crossed)

Tech_Boy
18-03-2008, 15:57
The STB needs to have the device that is connected to it registered or "provisioned" to it, and afaik you can't do that with a console.