PDA

View Full Version : some help before i cry LOL

skedone
15-03-2008, 17:30
hi here is my problem maybe im being stupid and this is not possible but i know it used to be possible when it was just telewest.

well here goes im on virgin media have the xl package standard modem that comes from them and a pci wi-fi card the problem is every time i enable AP mode on the wifi card the bridge activates(as i should) But in reverse, As in it tries to connect to the net via the wifi card instead of on the NIC lol any help guys because it is driving me mad now

any other info needed just ask

Russ
15-03-2008, 17:32
Moved to VM Internet Services.

zing_deleted
15-03-2008, 17:45
enable ics and run network connection wizard?

webcrawler2050
15-03-2008, 17:53
Wait a minute wheres the Wifi Router?

Sorry but I found that hard to understand, due to poor grammar, could you try to explain it with more details?

skedone
15-03-2008, 18:05
sorry mate im terrible at grammar lol.

right i have standard virgin modem connected via NIC
i have a pci wi-fi card and i would like to connect my WII to the PC via WI-FI so it to can go online.

the problem is every time i select AP mode on my WI-FI card the network bridge goes in revers it disconnects my virgin modem and try`s to connect to the net via the wifi card

hope that helps

Hugh
15-03-2008, 18:07
I may be wrong, but I think you may need to buy a wireless router - the standard VM modem isn't wireless enabled (so your wi-fi card has nothing to connect to, and I am not sure if you can use your PC as a router).

webcrawler2050
15-03-2008, 18:08
AHA! That makes sense now dude! Sorry :$

I *think* you are going to need a Wifi Router.

Ive not heard of this situation where a Wifi and NIC share a connection, I know and have done it with a NIC.

Hmm I think Wifi Router is going to be the easyiest, this one aint half bad for the price

http://accessories.virginmedia.com/webstore/CNETrelated/ExtendedInformation.aspx?ExtendedCode=NTL0507&ExtendedProdCode=M160502&CatCode=SELF520302

Works well and is a piece of cake to setup and secure! :)

skedone
15-03-2008, 18:14
lol i just don't get why its doing it thats the thing. i have tried turning the bridge back, been into the wi-fi network settings and the bridge connection settings set it how it should be and bam same problem........ i just dont the point in buying a Router when i have a wifi card what a waste

webcrawler2050
15-03-2008, 18:16
The point is mate - the Wifi card wont take the in connection for the Wii, I dont see how it can - the card, doesnt produce a Wep key or antying like that, that the Wii asks for - so for this to work you ARE going to need a wifi router, but you could make your PC wifi as well!

Its probably trying to connect to the interweb via the wifi card and of course, nothing is there, thus your Vm connection dies, but when you disable it VM connection comes back to life.

Thats what I think anyway dude!

skedone
15-03-2008, 18:19
???????? my wi-fi card does produce a WEP key and WPA and any other come to that mate why would it not????

webcrawler2050
15-03-2008, 18:21
Sorry dude - I think you are getting confused -

The WIFI card needs WEP / whatever key to communicate with the router - it doesnt happen the other way round. A WIFI card cannot accept incoming communcation from its such as a Wii - the router is the only way!

Hugh
15-03-2008, 18:21
???????? my wi-fi card does produce a WEP key and WPA and any other come to that mate why would it not????
But it is (imho) trying to connect to a router with that key, and there isn't anything to connect to (the Wii is just another terminal trying to connect to a router).

webcrawler2050
15-03-2008, 18:27
But it is (imho) trying to connect to a router with that key, and there isn't anything to connect to (the Wii is just another terminal trying to connect to a router).

Extamundo - theres nowt there - so the connection drops - when disables the connection apears. The Wii needs a router! :)

skedone
15-03-2008, 18:30
oh ic now im with u lol so why do they have a AP mode then because what you say means it is only a connect to device as in host only, but AP means it acts as a Access point even adhoc is the same... i dunno to many years ago i did network eng course (before wi-fi) i must read up on it fully. i thought it would work like p2p networking does one is server one is host to it and they share the internet connect.

i dunno what is the point of the ap mode and adhoc mode then on wifi cards if they are only designed to connect to a router ???

webcrawler2050
15-03-2008, 18:33
Not sure - it maybe in conjuction with a AP router or something!

skedone
15-03-2008, 18:39
i am glad you said that, That proves what i say you are saying it cant act like that but do not know what it even means LOL AP mode means it turns into a access point allowing upto 14 computer to connect to it and share resources as in files and other network interfaces(as in VM Connection)

sorry if this sounds like a nasty comment it is not meant like that. my wii connects to my computer fine VIA AP mode with any type of Encryption including MAC protection mode. and i used to use this type of set up before on another net provider and the original telewest surfboard modems. granted this is a new wifi card but i know it is working fully.

webcrawler2050
15-03-2008, 18:43
i am glad you said that, That proves what i say you are saying it cant act like that but do not know what it even means LOL AP mode means it turns into a access point allowing upto 14 computer to connect to it and share resources as in files and other network interfaces(as in VM Connection)

sorry if this sounds like a nasty comment it is not meant like that. my wii connects to my computer fine VIA AP mode with any type of Encryption including MAC protection mode. and i used to use this type of set up before on another net provider and the original telewest surfboard modems. granted this is a new wifi card but i know it is working fully.

Sorry dude, that doesn't make no sense at all?!

skedone
15-03-2008, 18:48
AP=access point , right i will try and get the grammer right this time.

when a wi-fi card is set to AP mode this will allow other computers to connect to you and share resources as in files and internet (as in cat5 broadband)

does that explain what i mean better , and by the way its my wii connecting to my pc not the other way.

also there is AD hoc mode which means HOST TO HOST with NO ROUTER but i have the same problem

webcrawler2050
15-03-2008, 18:55
Makes sense now - but this wont work, I believe you need to have a Wifi router in the first instance. As your broadband is Wired so the connection doesnt know what to do with it.

I am fully aware of what it means, but you will NEED a router.

skedone
15-03-2008, 19:03
so how does the wiiconnect usb dongle for pcs work then,That use your existing broadband connection.
I think i would rather by one of them than a router i only want the wii to connect nutting else and that is not a sure thing with routers as they are easy to exploit or decrypt security
but with a wifi card or wiiconnect dongle its a different matter

webcrawler2050
15-03-2008, 19:07
Well they are both just as expsensive, if not cheaper.

The truth is, if people want access to something, they will get into it, no matter how secure it is to be honest!

skedone
15-03-2008, 19:20
its just so annoying that i have this nice new wi-fi card and i cant bloody use it lol its stupid.

sorry for being sounds so angry its just its starting to really p*** me of now

webcrawler2050
15-03-2008, 19:20
Sorry dude, I know

But you did buy it without checking! :)

skedone
15-03-2008, 19:31
no i did not buy it mate my mate owns a pc shop it was free, and so will the router or wiiconnect dongle. oh well i will get a router tomorrow then i think i will pay the 200 quid tho and and get a Cisco 1801W Integrated Services Router at least i can configure that to be more safe

ceedee
15-03-2008, 20:16
You might get some answers about the capabilities of your Wifi card if you mentioned the manufacturer and model number, and whether you'd got anywhere searching the web for a manual?

Only an idea...

webcrawler2050
15-03-2008, 20:31
no i did not buy it mate my mate owns a pc shop it was free, and so will the router or wiiconnect dongle. oh well i will get a router tomorrow then i think i will pay the 200 quid tho and and get a Cisco 1801W Integrated Services Router at least i can configure that to be more safe

What??? Sorry dude but now your not making no sense...

You just said a router a Wii dongle would be free from your mate, then you go on to say I am gonna spend £200 on a Cisco Router!!!!

ARE YOU BLOODY INSANE!

Druchii
16-03-2008, 10:45
It can be done, don't ask me how, but i know it can be done.

Clear all the bridge mode settings you have, stop ICS in windows (Internet Connection Sharing) and set it up from scratch. It is most certainly possible to let something else connect to your Wi-Fi card when it is in AP mode. And, through windows ICS have all requests forwarded to your NIC, so that online play is possible.

This will help you: http://forums.qj.net/f-wii-general-108/t-tutorial-using-datels-pspds-wifimax-with-your-wii-as-requested-by-victor-b-90253.html
Just skip the specific bits about the zyDas device, and substitute it for your device (When setting wireless Access Point mode).

HTH. :D

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

What??? Sorry dude but now your not making no sense...

You just said a router a Wii dongle would be free from your mate, then you go on to say I am gonna spend £200 on a Cisco Router!!!!

ARE YOU BLOODY INSANE!
As for this, a £200 router is overkill, a £20 - 40 jobby will do just fine. And the Cisco will likely just confuse you. (It would me)

Kymmy
16-03-2008, 16:46
Make sure that the WiFi doesn;t have a gateway set, that way it'll never try to route through your WiFi card. ICS should work OK between your wifi card and the net/usb

Kymmy

Horace
16-03-2008, 16:48
I'm pretty sure you don't need to be using a bridge in this scenario, just ensure ICS is ticked in the properties of the connection that's connected to the cable modem(control panel/network connections). If Windows is automatically bridging the two connections, which I've seen happen before, then right click on both the connections and select remove from bridge then disable or delete the bridge.

moaningmags
16-03-2008, 22:20
" a £20 - 40 jobby will do just fine"

No way would I pay for a sh*t which is what jobby means here in Scotland.

Totally irrelevant yes, but I couldn't resist, sorry ;-)

blade85
17-03-2008, 21:52
this is how I connect things in my house

Cable modem -> connected to Wifi router -> connected directly to my desktop pc + wireless enabled for all other devices -> eveything pics up wirless.

The other thing I can do once I have picked up the connection for example on my laptop....I can then turn it into a access point or media server, in which case my laptop uses the wireless connection to host its files to any device that can pick it up (like my ps3), so i can play music and videos from my laptop..on the ps3 by streaming it off the laptop using the wireless connection. Woooo....that was a long sentence. Big question...does it make any sense?

skedone
24-03-2008, 09:17
well i bought that router because i know how to use cisco routers and yes i did by it 200 quid for one of them is about 200 pound less than shop price.

As i did try to explain before i tried the ICS etc etc and got no joy removed bridge everything but it kept putting it back.

as i tried to make clear before i have CISCO cert`s just when i done them and networking there was no wifi so im a bit rusty with them BUT not stupid as most seem to think.

any way i have a router now and all is good also found out the problem with the card it was badly made driver for windows (as under linux everything is fine) have informed manufacture and they will have a fix soon