PDA

View Full Version : Will it be a diff card?

Central
15-03-2008, 12:57
If I ask my bank for a new card because my current one has split.

Will it be a diff card number?

Damien
15-03-2008, 12:59
Depends, Usually not although the expiry and CCV number (3 numbers at back of card) would properly change. Depends on the bank though

Central
15-03-2008, 13:04
Its Natwest

Damien
15-03-2008, 13:13
With HSBC mastro cards you get a different issue number/security ccv number. Same card number though. Check with the bank or if someone on here spots this, is with natwest, and required a replacement card

paulw37
15-03-2008, 15:58
If I ask my bank for a new card because my current one has split.

Will it be a diff card number?
Hi,

I'm with NatWest and when I have asked for a replacement card it came with a different number embossed on the card, however the PIN remained the same.

Paul

webcrawler2050
15-03-2008, 16:16
It Depends - you can ask for a whole new number - but I know with my HSBC Card they dont give you a whole new number just change Expiry / CV2 No, where as my looyds account, they do. Some you have to request, some you dont.

Jon T
15-03-2008, 16:36
Hi,

I'm with NatWest and when I have asked for a replacement card it came with a different number embossed on the card, however the PIN remained the same.

Paul

Paul is right, i'm with the NatWest and when you order a replacement card number(big one across the middle) will change, your PIN will not.

alferret
15-03-2008, 20:43
I have problems with my cards splitting due to my type of wallet. Anyway Halifax when issuing a replacement do change the 16 digit number as well as the CV2 and start date.

Pia
16-03-2008, 03:23
I've had my cards changed a few times, due to me losing or damaging them, and my card number has changed every time without fail.

But i never bothered changing the details with companies (i.e Paypal account) and it's still always worked fine, so they must keep the old card number in connection with your bank account for a good long while?

AbyssUnderground
16-03-2008, 10:11
I've had my cards changed a few times, due to me losing or damaging them, and my card number has changed every time without fail.

But i never bothered changing the details with companies (i.e Paypal account) and it's still always worked fine, so they must keep the old card number in connection with your bank account for a good long while?

Doesn't that defeat the point of reporting it as lost or stolen then? :confused:

Pia
17-03-2008, 09:51
Doesn't that defeat the point of reporting it as lost or stolen then? :confused:
Well the accounts were set up before i reported it i guess, so they know it's one of my own as opposed to one that was set up after it had been stolen.

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-03-2008, 13:10
Depends, Usually not although the expiry and CCV number (3 numbers at back of card) would properly change. Depends on the bank though

I think you will find they always will change. The reason being the bank is trying to protect itself from fraud. If they reissue the same card there could then be two cards the same in circulation. The cancell the old one to mae sure it is never used again.

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:08 ----------

Yes they do, i noticed a few months ago ive been paying my credit card bill every month for the last two years using the details of my old card!! still worked though.

What wouldnt have worked though is if i had tried to use the old card.

Central
22-03-2008, 15:59
Card arrived. Was a different number. Thanks for all the replies people

SMHarman
22-03-2008, 18:52
I think you will find they always will change. The reason being the bank is trying to protect itself from fraud. If they reissue the same card there could then be two cards the same in circulation. The cancell the old one to mae sure it is never used again.Not always. HSBC debit / Maestro cards use the format 6759 nnnnnn (sort code) nnnnnnnn (account no) so this does not change unless you change the underlying bank account number.
What will change from card to card is the issue number and the expiration date and probably the CV2 number.

Shaun
22-03-2008, 19:15
Natwest used to but they've gone over to the 16 digit method. :)

dragon
22-03-2008, 19:23
I have problems with my cards splitting due to my type of wallet. Anyway Halifax when issuing a replacement do change the 16 digit number as well as the CV2 and start date.

Personally I think they put the expiry date to long after the issue date.

Perticullarly if its a card that gets used often, I've had to request new cards a couple of times, One was an electron card that just had the number printed on and it rubbed off.

Then I had one where the chip stopped reading properly.