PDA

View Full Version : Food Steamer

LSainsbury
15-03-2008, 09:36
Morning,

Anybody got a food steamer - are they any good?

Quick and easy to use?

Can you chuck anything in them?

Cheers

Lee

Nidge
15-03-2008, 09:43
Morning,

Anybody got a food steamer - are they any good?

Quick and easy to use?

Can you chuck anything in them?

Cheers

Lee

I got one last year, I've used it once. I do my veg in the microwave. The steamers take to long to cook.

peanut
15-03-2008, 09:46
We got a half decent one a couple of months ago and we're always using it. Very easy to use, and takes quite a lot of hassle out of cooking veg etc. (chicken breasts are much better steamed too).

papa smurf
15-03-2008, 09:56
I got one last year, I've used it once. I do my veg in the microwave. The steamers take to long to cook.

i'm with you there , i have cupboards full of gadgets and the steamer is just one of them it takes ages, iput veg between two cereal bowls with a bit of water in the bottom and nuke it

peanut
15-03-2008, 10:13
Trust me to me opposite, we've got a microwave and it's thats what gathering the dust the most.

handyman
15-03-2008, 10:30
I use a steamer that sits on top of a pan. Its fantastic when doing a roast dinner as you can whack your spuds in the pan then add your veg in layers above it in the steamer so you don't over cook it. Normally carrots on first then broccolli which i like to only have a quick blast. Uses only the 1 ring so its using a 3rd less leccy to cook as well as been healthy.

Enuff
15-03-2008, 10:35
We've had a steamer for about a year or so, and the food cooked in it tastes fantastic! you can buy steam bags for the microwave, but you'll save money buying a cheap steamer for a tenner.

LSainsbury
15-03-2008, 10:45
Well - some conflict of opinion there! I suppose what you need is one with a delay timer, so it's ready when you get home from work - or there abouts!

papa smurf
15-03-2008, 10:55
well you ask 10 forum members you get 10 diferrent answers :D:D:D so back to square one , hope we helped:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jon T
15-03-2008, 11:08
Trust me to me opposite, we've got a microwave and it's thats what gathering the dust the most.

Our microwave is in the cupboard, has been for about a year and a half!

We have got a slow cooker which we tend to use a lot. I've looked at steamers tbh i've run out of space to put one when it isn't being used.

Halcyon
15-03-2008, 11:39
We use it from time to time.
It's a great way of cooking as you don't use any fat or oil.

KungFuKitty
15-03-2008, 19:25
:tu: Food steamers are great! imho it all tastes better, being a veggie and cooking most of my foods using a steamer i really couldn't live without one :D
Then again i seem to hate the taste of nuked foods :PP:
As handyman said "Its fantastic when doing a roast dinner" i couldn't agree more :D Bamboo Steamers Ftw! :LOL:
~ Kitty x

Pia
16-03-2008, 03:31
I've got one, i've used it about 6 times in the last 4 years:LOL:

But i do recall the veg being tastier in it, i just hated cleaning it afterwards so stuck with chucking everything in a pan of water in my laziness :p:

Bulky
16-03-2008, 09:09
i have one , tefal steam cuisine , love my veg though and it tastes soooo much better if you steam it imo , it also has a resevoir at the bottom to collect the condensate which is a great stock to add to your gravy if your doing a roast , a lot of people i know are under the impression if you steam veg it is too crunchy , not the case just needs steaming for longer.