PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade to 20mb??

frogstamper
15-03-2008, 01:00
Ill just start by saying I'm on the 4mb package and my speed is always hovering around 3850kbps to 4mb, so I'm very happy[obviously] with the service.:tu:
I want to upgrade to 20mb, but whats worrying me are all the stories I read about people saying they don't get anywhere near it, in some cases saying they get about 1mb. What I want to know is that if my speed has been reliable on the 4mb service, will it follow that I should be OK on 20mb.? I'm guessing I get a reliable speed due to the fact that there are only 18 people on my "green box" at the end of the street.

PS What is the correct term for the "green box" please.:dunce:

Druchii
15-03-2008, 01:08
Why don't you wait until the effects of the free 10Mb upgrade happen?

Those 18 people may all be on 4Mb... And get upgraded. So, needed bandwidth if all maxed out would go from 72Mb to 180Mb. Maybe the service will go to pot after that?

Although, to be honest, i'd just try a month at 20Mb and downgrade if it's not for you.

tweetypie/8
15-03-2008, 01:10
Ill just start by saying I'm on the 4mb package and my speed is always hovering around 3850kbps to 4mb, so I'm very happy[obviously] with the service.:tu:
I want to upgrade to 20mb, but whats worrying me are all the stories I read about people saying they don't get anywhere near it, in some cases saying they get about 1mb. What I want to know is that if my speed has been reliable on the 4mb service, will it follow that I should be OK on 20mb.? I'm guessing I get a reliable speed due to the fact that there are only 18 people on my "green box" at the end of the street.

PS What is the correct term for the "green box" please.:dunce:

i wouldnt recommend it,i tried it and it was lousy,stick to the 4 meg and you should be upgraded to 10 meg free gratis cant help you with the green box i havent a clue lol.;)

Druchii
15-03-2008, 01:17
i wouldnt recommend it,i tried it and it was lousy,stick to the 4 meg and you should be upgraded to 10 meg free gratis cant help you with the green box i havent a clue lol.;)
Had 20Mb, and got 20Mb bloody reliably :p: Well, apart from when my router went schizo and i could only get 1Mb wired and 10+ wirelessly :S (I say schizo as it did have 2 personalities... Could survive torrents no problem, but died with FTP.. Odd thing)
Got it replaced, and lo and behold, 20Mb!

As for the green box, commonly referred to as the CAB. Not too sure what that stands for to be honest. But it is just VM equipment.

Dave9946
15-03-2008, 02:03
If you really need it I say go for it. Otherwise stay on the 4 mb connection and wait for the free 4mb to 10mb to hit your region!.

GeoffB
15-03-2008, 06:31
I upgraded from 4 to 20 last week. So far, over wireless, I'm getting about 8 meg fairy consistently and with a direct ethernet line (via the router) I've had 16-19 every time. In my experience, wireless slows down the 20 meg connection a lot wheras I usually got 3.5+ on my 4 meg wireless setup.

bigsinky
15-03-2008, 09:28
like yourself the cab for NTL is at the bottom of my garden. i have the 20 meg connection and with giganews i regularly max out my connection. sure traffic shaping reduces my speeds at peaks but my pc is never turned off so i just wait for my downloads. i don't regret going to 20 meg. the only think i don't like about the service is the price. £37 for a 20 meg service i still think is a rip off.

really depends on what you want to do. web pages don't really load any faster and a 500 gig drive fills up pretty fast. i am up to around 7-8 TB and i am going to need some more space soon.

frogstamper
15-03-2008, 19:26
Probably the main reason I'm thinking about upgrading is the package I'm on at the moment, TV-XL, BB-L, Phone-M and an extra set-top-box is costing me £52pm and while talking to one of VMs staff in the billing dept I was told of the "IP" package [not quite a "very important person" but a "important person":erm:] Anyway this is TV-XL, BB-XL, Phone XL and a V+ stb + V stb all for £65pm, basically for £13pm Ill get free phone calls 24/7 + 20mb BB. If I get as good a speed with 20mb as I do with 4mb I consider it money well spent, but not if I'm going to get single figure speeds.

bigsinky
17-03-2008, 12:41
try paying sky £65 a month and £37 for cable as well. real bummer

shaunmike
18-03-2008, 09:44
yeh .. why not ....you have opportunity to upgrade ..... don't loose this.