PDA

View Full Version : 20mb problem, please help? :)

KungFuKitty
13-03-2008, 19:34
:confused: Okay firstly Hi everyone! (am new to the CF!)
I'm reading the "Read before you post" thread as i'm doing this..
Intro!:
I have been on the 2mb line since the blueyonder/virgin switch at first the line was terrible aka virgin up and down alot but recently it seems to have been great so i figure... hey! lets upgrade to the 20mb line :D because running a laptop and pc and ps3 all off a 2mb line has kinna sucked!! :dunce:

Ok specifically my issue is:
Rang up earlier (well my gf did!) and asked to upgrade to 20meg "Sure it will take around an hour" was what we were told.. :erm: hour pass's by at the speed sure enough went up, but thats the problem.. from getting around 2064(down) and 244(up) on my 2meg line since i've upgraded i only get around 3010(down) 734(up).. the up seems to be fine, i'm not sure what i 'should' be getting on the 20mb line in upload but i'm pretty certain i should be gettin' more than a 3mb line worth or atleast closer to 20,000kbps??! :(
So i rang this time and was asked typically the general questions of "how is your pc connected" .. "do you have programs currently downloading" .. .."have you checked for spyware and antivirus" :dunce: we finally got down to.. "All you can do is ring back again when you have the phone next to your pc and we can do some speed tests with our other team to determine the problem.. on which i replied "But my pc is upstairs as is the connection! and i can't be on the phone downstairs whilst the pc is upstairs the same time :( " i was advised to maybe ring on a mobile phone .. ... .. :mad: ummm @ 25p a min+?! (maybe more on my mobile) ugh.. so i'm lost now at what to do and would like some advice from you guys if thats ok :confused:
I currently have my pc directly connected to my Motorola SB4200i Modem though usually i have it connected to my Belkin router along with my girlfriends Laptop and our PS3 networked together... (I tested it and was the same as directly connected but still.. for now its direct)
I'm running on Windows XP SP2, have used TCPOptimizer from Speedguide.net to tweak for 20mb line (had my 2mb tweaked before and it worked perfect) i followed the steps on the Virgin Media site on how to setup your 20mb line (disable QoS etc)

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 10.9.128.1 - 0 | 29 | 29 | 0 | 13 | 32 | 15 |
|80-192-0-1.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk - 0 | 29 | 29 | 0 | 50 | 203 | 15 |
| aztw-t3core-1a-ge-010-0.inet.ntl.com - 0 | 29 | 29 | 0 | 11 | 31 | 15 |
| win-bb-a-so-200-0.inet.ntl.com - 0 | 29 | 29 | 0 | 13 | 62 | 15 |
| gfd-bb-b-so-100-0.inet.ntl.com - 0 | 29 | 29 | 0 | 13 | 16 | 15 |
| redb-ic-1-as0-0.inet.ntl.com - 0 | 29 | 29 | 0 | 15 | 62 | 15 |
| 212.58.238.189 - 0 | 28 | 28 | 15 | 23 | 156 | 16 |
| 212.58.238.149 - 0 | 28 | 28 | 0 | 19 | 156 | 16 |
| 212.58.239.62 - 0 | 28 | 28 | 0 | 15 | 31 | 31 |
| www4.telhc.bbc.co.uk - 0 | 28 | 28 | 15 | 16 | 32 | 15 |
|________________________________________________| ______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR - 0.8. Copyleft @2000-2002 Vasile Laurentiu Stanimir ( stanimir@cr.nivis.com )

Ran WinMTR for about 30 seconds then copied that to here, is that ok?

In my Motorola Settings:

Acquire Downstream Channel Done
Obtain Upstream Parameters Done
Establish IP Connectivity using DHCP Done
Establish Time Of Day Done
Transfer Operational Parameters through TFTP Done
Register Connection Done
Cable Modem Status Operational
Initialize Baseline Privacy Skipped

Signal:
Downstream Value
Frequency 338750000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB
Power Level 7 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 29200000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 32 dBmV

Is there anything else you need to know? :confused: i'll post asap :)
Thanks guys and sorry my first post is with a problem :(
~ Kitty xx (sorry if i rambled on!)

EDIT: Ok i've fiddled around in device manager (i was on full duplex 100mbps) changed that to half and also tried auto detect.. now i'm getting...
13398kbps (down) 730kbps (up) from speedtest.net "Recommended server"
Still shouldn't this be closer to the 20k mark?? :(

ceedee
13-03-2008, 20:38
EDIT: Ok i've fiddled around in device manager (i was on full duplex 100mbps) changed that to half and also tried auto detect.. now i'm getting...
13398kbps (down) 730kbps (up) from speedtest.net "Recommended server"
Still shouldn't this be closer to the 20k mark?? :(

It should be faster but at this time in the evening, it's probably mostly network congestion.
Give it a try at a quieter time of day?

KungFuKitty
13-03-2008, 21:09
It should be faster but at this time in the evening, it's probably mostly network congestion.
Give it a try at a quieter time of day?

Ok will do i'll try around 2am seeing as i'm up all night anyway :p: i keep gettin around 10-13mb of the line so far, atleast a big improvement on the 3mb i was getting :D Hopefully it'll get better :)

Would any of you have any advice for optimizing my connection to get its best results? Also is the modem i'm on good enough or should i request a new one? :dunce: Any tips would be good :D

~ Kitty x

fatassmichael
13-03-2008, 21:18
Try this link kitty http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php
Welcome to the forum BTW.

moaningmags
13-03-2008, 21:49
If your ex-telewest your modem is on wrong frequency.

should be 339000000

in browser type http://192.168.100.1

go to configuration tab and change it there
save the settings and reboot the modem

if it won't change call tech for a new modem.

Being on the wrong frequency will cause slow speeds and intermittent connection.

HTH

KungFuKitty
13-03-2008, 22:09

should be 339000000

in browser type http://192.168.100.1

go to configuration tab and change it there
save the settings and reboot the modem

if it won't change call tech for a new modem.

Being on the wrong frequency will cause slow speeds and intermittent connection.

HTH

:) Thanks for your reply, i just changed it to "339000000" as you suggested :D It seems to have dropped down to 8mb's or so at the moment but i'm not worried untill later, will test around 2am-ish :tu:

Try this link kitty http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb...timisation.php
Welcome to the forum BTW.
I've tried those already :) but thanks for the link and thank you for the welcome!! :waving:

Edit: Oh just out of curiousity, do you CF guys have a live chat room? any late nighters!? :D

KungFuKitty
14-03-2008, 01:02
Hiya guys, just a follow-up i've recently tested on Speedtest.net and got around 14-15mb's, tested it on this forum speedtest also and keep getting the same around 13-15mb's.
So i'm just wondering as its now off-peak wheres the other 5mb's-ish?!?! Or atleast be a little closer to the 20 mark.
My modem is: Motorola Surfboard 4200i (Which i got years back from blueyonder/telewest)
UBR03: cable.ubr03.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
Router: Belkin Wireless G Router http://tinyurl.com/vfck (Wired setup)
Firmware: Upto date
Virus's/Spy|Adware: None, totally clean system
Anything else you would need to know about router config / modem config let me know please :)
Thanks in advance guys :D
~ Kitty xx

moaningmags
14-03-2008, 01:58
1st thing I'd suggest is a direct connection to the modem.
Then go to http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk
Start 2 downloads of big files, sit them side by side and add the transfer rate of each together.
This is the best method of testing your download speed.
Then try again with router connected.
Apparently the SB4200 can give 20meg, but if you can't get this speed during the night, I'd be looking at requesting a new modem.

KungFuKitty
14-03-2008, 03:38
1st thing I'd suggest is a direct connection to the modem.
Then go to http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk
Start 2 downloads of big files, sit them side by side and add the transfer rate of each together.
This is the best method of testing your download speed.
Then try again with router connected.
Apparently the SB4200 can give 20meg, but if you can't get this speed during the night, I'd be looking at requesting a new modem.

Ah okie :) i just tried that.. and then after adding the transfer rates you multiply by 8 right?
My results download 2 1.4gig demo's from that site: (based on rate+rate*8=??)
The speeds were a little up/down didnt settle out alot but close enough:
Does that seem right? ...14-15mb line worth, yea? :confused:
So hmm what would you suggest i do? ring and ask for a new cable modem tomorrow? when my girlfriend asked earlier she got the reply of "your modem should handle 20mb line fine" :erm: but i'm guessing if i say the speeds arnt upto scratch and i've ran tests as advised by Cable Forum they'll throw me a new modem free? :D
Kinda confused what to do lol... advice welcome :dunce:
Thanks <3
~ Kitty xx

ceedee
14-03-2008, 03:39
should be 339000000

Is it worth trying 331000000 too?
Or are they set by region?

(ref: Modem trouble shoot thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/48893-modem-trouble-shoot.html))

KungFuKitty
14-03-2008, 03:47
Is it worth trying 331000000 too?
Or are they set by region?

(ref: Modem trouble shoot thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/48893-modem-trouble-shoot.html))

Would hurt to try would it? :) if not i'll give it a shot now :shocked:

I'll be in the Lounge in CF chat if anybody is still awake and stuff :P

Edit: (4:54am *yawnz!!*)
I tried changin' the freq but the light on the modem after save/reboot would just keep flashing on "Send" and go no further.. oh well was worth a try :p:
So anyway...
Just finished havin' a chat with ceedee in the CF live chat who informed me about the newsgroup and gave me this advice:

04:29:35 [ceedee] : I'd recommend you contact TS via the dedicated newsgroup - quick service, dealing direct with the techs
04:32:00 [ceedee] : Okay, so you get drop a message on the virginmedia.support.broadband.cable newsgroup with the
following info.
04:40:27 [ceedee] : 3 consecutive traceroutes to www.bbc.co.uk
A netstat -a
4 simultaneous downloads from the VM game server / Zen test files
plus the signal data from your modem - just cut'n'paste all of them.

So i'm gonna try that when i wake up tomorrow and hopefully all goes to plan! *cross's kitty paws!* thanks alot ceedee for your advice & chat, nice bloke :tu: just gotta get him on the phone if i end up havin' to call VM again :LOL: ..anyways off to sleep now, thanks for all you guys help today <3
Nitey nite ~ Kitty xx :zzz:

KungFuKitty
15-03-2008, 05:08
Me again :D Hi everyone :waving:
I've been pretty busy today with rl issues :dozey: but i finally got around to doing the tracert's pings and such, was just on my way to writing into VM's tech support newsgroup and.... tadaaaah! :rofl:
I checked my speed out and FINALLY seem to be getting what i'm paying for! :D my 20mb line!!! I also tried with my router instead of directly wired and got slightly lower but 2meg down / 768 up results :D
Super-duper happy.. atleast now i don't have to ring VM's (mostly) shoddy CS again! and i know that i can get proper results.. although its late at night so less traffic it's still a huge relief :)
If anyone could point me to some router tips (as its a lil better direct) to try that'd be great, i just know its going to drop down to 13-15mb's worth again.. but its good to know it'll be there later yanno? :D
Okay sorry for rambling! and thanks very much to all of you thats helped me thus far.. especially ceedee :tu:
I'll try give a lil help in the general section when i can, more my field :naughty:
Cheers guys ~ Kitty xx

sidenote!: if anyone is interested my download results from http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/ gave me...
1. Combined of 2 transfers - 2033 kb/sec (Router wired / firefox)
2. Combined of 2 transfers - 2701 kb/sec (Directly connected / firefox)
3. Combined of 2 transfers - 2.36 mb/sec (Directly connected / IE)

bigsinky
15-03-2008, 10:01
expect that speed to drop to about 7-8 meg at peak hours

Jonnymeg
15-03-2008, 14:50
I am suprised that no one has yet told you that 20meg is not supported on the old Motorola modems.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service.html

You need to get your modem swapped out for a new one.

ceedee
15-03-2008, 16:57
I am suprised that no one has yet told you that 20meg is not supported on the old Motorola modems.
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service.html
You need to get your modem swapped out for a new one.

Before offering KungFuKitty any advice, I went and found several chats on the VM support newsgroup where TS have stated that the Motorola SB4200 is compatible with 20Mb. (Although the Motorola 4100 and earlier models are not and require swapping out.)

The link you suggest is for the EvenFaster section of VM's website which is for people currently on 4Mb to check which cable modems are suitable for the upgraded 10Mb service -- it's got nothing to do with 20Mb!

If you've got any more reliable information, please post it?
:td:

Jonnymeg
15-03-2008, 18:02
The link you suggest is for the EvenFaster section of VM's website which is for people currently on 4Mb to check which cable modems are suitable for the upgraded 10Mb service -- it's got nothing to do with 20Mb!

If you've got any more reliable information, please post it?
:td:

Indeed but if ain't gonna do 10 then it won't do 20 will it?. Pardon me for trying to be helpful!

As a rule of thumb all modems issued before the Ambit 200 should be swapped out. Of course there may be case where the motorola's or ambit 100's can hit 20mb but there are occassions when they cannot.

You can request a new modem by posting in the support newsgroups.

KungFuKitty
15-03-2008, 19:03
Indeed but if ain't gonna do 10 then it won't do 20 will it?. Pardon me for trying to be helpful!

As a rule of thumb all modems issued before the Ambit 200 should be swapped out. Of course there may be case where the motorola's or ambit 100's can hit 20mb but there are occassions when they cannot.

You can request a new modem by posting in the support newsgroups.

Hiya Johnnymeg :) When on the phone to CS i asked specifically for a new modem with the 20mb service and was told "Your modem will support the 20meg line, so no need" to be honest i'd like a new modem anyway, if not for the speed (which of course i want most!!) it'd even be for the fact the old modem i have is extremely ugly :LOL: you think if i ring again stating i'm not getting the speed i should and ask for a modem again they'd issue me with a free upgrade? I'll try this monday if you think its worth a shot :D

expect that speed to drop to about 7-8 meg at peak hours

Hiya bigsinky :) i can safely say i have a 'stable' connection of atleast 13mb's during peak hours, usually around 13-15mb's worth of line... is this all i should expect? off-peak as in late at night i've got around 18-20mb's worth of line... should the 13-15mb's worth during peak be considered 'good'?!

Thanks for all your input folks :D
Oh and ceedee... i may still write into TS via newsgroups monday anyways just to check things through :tu:
~ Kitty xx

ceedee
15-03-2008, 19:33
I checked my speed out and FINALLY seem to be getting what i'm paying for! :D my 20mb line!!! I also tried with my router instead of directly wired and got slightly lower but 2meg down / 768 up results :D
Super-duper happy.. atleast now i don't have to ring VM's (mostly) shoddy CS again! and i know that i can get proper results.. although its late at night so less traffic it's still a huge relief :)

That's great news, KFK! Very pleased you're now (more) up to speed!

If anyone could point me to some router tips (as its a lil better direct) to try that'd be great, i just know its going to drop down to 13-15mb's worth again.. but its good to know it'll be there later yanno? :D

I've never had any problems setting up my own router but I'm almost completely useless diagnosing remote problems for other people so it's probably a good thing that most routers' auto-install routines are fairly good!
I'd be surprised if there was anything wrong in your current config if it works.
And you've updated your firmware to the latest version, so, erm, that leaves...

I'm guessing that you don't have lots of firewall or client IP Filter rules setup?

Having flicked through your modem's user manual there's nothing particularly relevant that I can think of to alter!

It might be worth changing the DNS servers on your router from VM to OpenDNS as many people are reporting faster connections to websites and generally increased browsing speeds.

And have a read through Annie's excellent Broadband FAQ (http://a.myby.co.uk/broadband-faq.html) just in case something jumps out at you.

I wonder if having the wireless service running on the router (even tho' it wasn't being used during your tests) is slowing it down.

I'd recommend turning off anything you're not using, eg. wireless, uPNP, vpn.

It's very unlikely to be relevant to speed tests from your wired PC but it's probably worth checking to see if you're getting wireless interference (maybe your neighbours are using the same 54g radio channel with their wireless devices). Belkin routers default to #11 so it might be worth switching yours to either #1 or #6 and see if anything changes.

I've not been able to identify any decent forums for Belkin routers where somebody better qualified might offer assistance but the folks at Techwatch (http://www.techwatch.co.uk/forums/wireless.html) seem to regularly tackle wifi problems intelligently -- you might want to post a query there?

Best of luck!

(Oh, and thanks for your kind words, mate.)
:blush:

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Indeed but if ain't gonna do 10 then it won't do 20 will it?.
But the link you helpfully provided states that the SB4200 *is* capable of handling 10Mb! And if it *will* handle 10Mb, there's a reasonable chance that it'll handle 20Mb.

That's why I searched the TS support newsgroup only to discover that they were rejecting swap-out requests from folk with SB4200 for new modems because they considered that it would be okay for 20Mb.

:banghead:

Pardon me for trying to be helpful!
If you'd followed your own link (which wasn't relevant) or searched the TS support newsgroup or provided any referenced information, I'd be the first to back you up.

Your wacky assertions alone that contradict TS and the VM website are not helpful.
Sorry if you can't see that.

bigsinky
15-03-2008, 19:40
kitty if you are getting 13 -15 at peak hours 4 - 10.30pm then you are very lucky. i get around 7 - 8 Mbit. i upgraded to 20Mbit and had to have old old silver ntl100 modem swapped out for one of the Ambit ntl250, but proof of the pudding is if you are getting nearly 20Mbit then you can assume your modem is up to the job. the new ntl250s max out at about 42-43 Mbit so if and when VM upgrade to 50Mbit they might need to swap the modem out again.

enjoy the speed and remember 500GB drives a pretty cheap now, believe me you will need it.

KungFuKitty
15-03-2008, 19:50
That's great news, KFK! Very pleased you're now (more) up to speed!

It might be worth changing the DNS servers on your router from VM to OpenDNS as many people are reporting faster connections to websites and generally increased browsing speeds.

And have a read through Annie's excellent Broadband FAQ (http://a.myby.co.uk/broadband-faq.html) just in case something jumps out at you.

I wonder if having the wireless service running on the router (even tho' it wasn't being used during your tests) is slowing it down.

I'd recommend turning off anything you're not using, eg. wireless, uPNP, vpn.
[/LIST]

Belkin routers default to #11 so it might be worth switching yours to either #1 or #6 and see if anything changes.

Best of luck!

(Oh, and thanks for your kind words, mate.)
:blush:

Evenin' ceedee :tu: i'll try OpenDNS a little later tonight and let ya know how things go :D Although i don't have wireless enabled on this pc i will switch to a different channel just for good measure and i'll flick through Annies FAQ whilst the girlfriend is busy on the PS3 :LOL:
i don't have much open/turnt on other than UPNP for the PS3 when i need it :) Cheers as always :tu: and much welcome for the "kind words" :p:

Hiya bigsinky :) it's a shame we're all not getting close to 20mb seeing as we're paying out our nose for it :( I think i'll push my luck and ask for a new modem anyway, this white one with my 'all black' setup is really outta place :rofl: As for the new drive i currently have a 160gig barracuda which never gets filled as i'm too fussy with my space :LOL: Only thing i'm worried about now is seeing as i've upgraded to the 20mb line wouldn't that renew my 12month contract? ...with Phorm approaching (which ceedee so nicely pointed me to!! :banghead: lol) hopefully that wont mean i can't get out or atleast opt-out of that damned idea! *shakes fist* i suppose if i go on i'll have to move it to the Phorm thread, hehe.
~Kitty x

(Edited as seen bigsinky's post after!)

Jonnymeg
15-03-2008, 20:11
Hiya Johnnymeg :)"[/I] to be honest i'd like a new modem anyway, if not for the speed (which of course i want most!!) it'd even be for the fact the old modem i have is extremely ugly :LOL: you think if i ring again stating i'm not getting the speed i should and ask for a modem again they'd issue me with a free upgrade? I'll try this monday if you think its worth a shot :D

Trust me when i tell you a new modem is needed. Regardless of what 'Ceedee' spouts a new modem will help you. Without telling you how - trust me i know.

Ceedee - When 20 meg first came about VM stated that other modems were compatible and have since changed their minds. In theory the surfboards can go upto 35meg+ in reality they don't. I work with these modems day in day out so unless you have more experience of the day to day operations of this kit on this network i would thank you to be less insulting.

ceedee
15-03-2008, 21:20
Trust me when i tell you a new modem is needed. Regardless of what 'Ceedee' spouts a new modem will help you. Without telling you how - trust me i know.

Ceedee - When 20 meg first came about VM stated that other modems were compatible and have since changed their minds. In theory the surfboards can go upto 35meg+ in reality they don't. I work with these modems day in day out so unless you have more experience of the day to day operations of this kit on this network i would thank you to be less insulting.

Let me summarise:

You post that KFK's modem "is not supported"; a link to VM's checklist for 10Mb-capable modems (when the OP is on 20Mb) and "You need to get your modem swapped out for a new one."

I point out that VM TS have stated[see example below] that the SB4200 *is* supported and that your link cannot confirm your assertion.

You completely miss the point that the link you posted states that the SB4200 is supported and launch into your "rule of thumb" without any reference, explanation or substantiation.

I again explain that the link you posted and VM TS say the SB4200 is actually supported and point out that you'd be aware of that had you looked. I also (perhaps unfairly) described your "rule of thumb" as a wacky assertion.

You respond that effectively you know best because you work with them every day; that VM TS are completely misinformed and that folks with problems should blindly trust you despite your lack of a supporting reference.

So what are these trusting souls supposed to do, other than hassle VM for a replacement modem that TS says isn't needed and won't supply?

And you say that *I'm* insulting?
Phew!

"Virgin Media Technical Support- Karl Rio" <news-support@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:WnbBj.20884$XI.1526@text.news.virginmedia.com ...
>
> "Ron Lewis" <xxxxxxxx@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:ZhbBj.237052$LD6.76614@fe3.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
>> Hi. I've been getting low speeds and poor levels and i've been booked for
>> a
>> RG11 repull but the tech said it could be the modem.
>>
>> I've got the Motorola SB4200 modem.
>>
>> Username: rl004e1179 .
>>
>
> Hi Ron,
>
> repull still booked for 20th. The SB4200 is ok for 20mb, but after the
> repull, we can look at this and retest, and if you have any problems, can
> swap this out and see if it is causing the issue.
>
> --
> Kind Regards
> Karl Rio
> Virgin Media Technical Support
> http://status2.virginmedia.com/
>
>

Jonnymeg
15-03-2008, 22:08
You respond that effectively you know best because you work with them every day; and that folks with problems should blindly trust you despite your lack of a supporting reference.

Correct.

Original text from VM regarding supported modems:

Ambit 100
Ambit 120
Ambit 200 (ntl branded)
Motorola SB4200
Motorola 5100
Motorola 5101E
Great news!
You actually don't need a modem upgrade.
We've looked at your current modem specification and it'll deliver the new speed perfectly

What they say now:

After further investigations we have now concluded that there may be circumstances where Ambit 100 and Ambit 120 modems do not meet the performance criteria for the Broadband Size XL service.

We recommend that any customers who have either of these modems now request a cable modem swap-out in order to get the maximum performance from their broadband connection.

Now whilst this doesn't cover the SB it shows you that there is confusion over the older modems, and the op's SB is old. Some say it is OK others don't. Now in the real world it suffers in performance and it is advisable to get it swapped out.

I have already communicated with the OP by pm and explained things that i am not willing to post in a public forum.
Your problem is that you fail to understand that their are people that know more than you and are in positions to have information that you cannot learn.

You know less than you think you do. I am not going to argue with silly people such as yourself. I post here to help out those seeking help and not to be slated by prats with little better to do.
So unless you KNOW any further info or personal experience that i don't and not something TS have told you then i suggest you keep your comments to yourself.

KungFuKitty
15-03-2008, 22:32
Hey guys you've both helped me out in different ways :tu: and its much appreciated :) no need to argue or insult eachother, i shall try to get a new modem not only because i would think a newer model would improve the service some but also because i'm sick of this dusty white box making my setup look ugly :LOL: Either way opinions are allowed to be diff but no need for insulting eachother :(
Cheers lads :tu:
~ Kitty x

ceedee
15-03-2008, 23:41
Either way opinions are allowed to be diff but no need for insulting eachother :(

FWIW, Kitty I never insulted him (apart from maybe the mild dig at "wacky assertions") unless that includes pointing out the inaccuracy of his 'advice' and the fallacy of his argument. At any point, he could have explained what he meant, or included that text, or provided a link to the letter* from which it's partly copied rather than insisting that "he knew best" (something which I plainly did not do).

Individual opinions vary and I have no problem with that.
But making an inaccurate and misleading claim, refusing to explain or back it up with references while insisting that everyone else is wrong and ought to believe them because they are "right" is not expressing an opinion.

That's overbearing, arrogant machismo.

* Letter from Alex Brown (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=635116) to ex-NTL customers (via DigitalSpy)

KungFuKitty
15-03-2008, 23:53
I post here to help out those seeking help and not to be slated by prats with little better to do.
Ceedee :tu: not sure what FWIW is :LOL: but i mainly meant to the above quote :( not nice and not needed.. either way.. back to topic... i still need to try the OpenDNS :D i read a few posts on it since and looks promising!!
:) ~ Kitty x

ceedee
16-03-2008, 00:10
Sorry, Kitty. FWIW = For What It's Worth.

Using OpenDNS has certainly speeded up my web browsing compared to the default VM DNS but that's on my paltry 4Mb -- it may not make such a difference on your 20Mb but probably well worth the experiment.

Give it a go sometime and post back the results?

KungFuKitty
16-03-2008, 01:29
Sorry, Kitty. FWIW = For What It's Worth.

Using OpenDNS has certainly speeded up my web browsing compared to the default VM DNS but that's on my paltry 4Mb -- it may not make such a difference on your 20Mb but probably well worth the experiment.

Give it a go sometime and post back the results?

:LOL: Usually it's me getting asked what my abbreviations are too! Yup i deffo will post back results on using OpenDNS, i'll edit my post after i've done this tomorrow.. feelin' lil lazy tonight hehe :tu:
~ Kitty x

bigsinky
16-03-2008, 21:57
well well well. tried the opendns name servers on my girlfriends tiscali adsl account and the connection deffo seems faster. everyday is a learning day

cheers

bigsinky

KungFuKitty
16-03-2008, 22:28
well well well. tried the opendns name servers on my girlfriends tiscali adsl account and the connection deffo seems faster. everyday is a learning day

cheers

bigsinky

:tu: woohoo! glad it worked out for you, tried them myself.. whilst not being a massive improvement there deffo was a nice little extra speed when it came to browsing :tu: :tu: hurray for OpenDNS! :hyper:
Now back to me stew :D
~ Kitty x

KungFuKitty
18-03-2008, 20:07
Hey guys :(
Before anyone says "it's peak time" i know that lol but the connection has been pretty sucky all day :/ Anyone else having trouble in Bristol?

my speedtest result (http://www.speedtest.net/result/248032890.png) totally sucky lol, even checking speedtest on here gives me:
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:52:30 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 2297 ms = 445.8 KB/sec, approx 3673 Kbps, 3.59 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 2094 ms = 489 KB/sec, approx 4029 Kbps, 3.93 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 2359 ms = 434.1 KB/sec, approx 3577 Kbps, 3.49 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 4516 ms = 453.5 KB/sec, approx 3737 Kbps, 3.65 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 3754 Kbps, 3.67 Mbps :mad:
I always seem to get on average 13mb's worth of line :dozey: the highest i seen was once i got 18mb's worth very late at night and i check alot during night times too... i upgraded from 2mb > 20mb on thursday and feeling kinda stupid doing so.. when i'm only getting close to a 10mb line rather than 20mb... :(
Could i downgrade to 10mb before 30 days since last thursday when i upgraded? because i can change the contract so to speak untill then right? :( i really don't want to downgrade but the speeds never getting to what i 'should' get really stinks, was lookin' forward to this new line too!
If anyone wants info incase it could be a fault my end.. i'm using the Motorola Surfboard 4200i, my signal levels are as follows...
Frequency 339000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB
Power Level 8 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 29200000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 32 dBmV
Currently networked to my pc, girlfriends laptop and our ps3.. although none of them are on during my speedtest, using a Belkin Router (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Wireless-Router-54Mbps-Switch/dp/B00008XYJ6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1205870439&sr=8-2) (F5D7230-4 6000) all connections are wired not wireless and i dont have wireless enabled.
I realize i maybe capped at the moment :dozey: but like i said its kinda been like it throughout the day :( and i always average 13megs worth :dozey:
So anyway what do you guys think? change some of my settings? change modem? router? or give up and downgrade to 10meg? :erm:
Also for some reason i have another network 1394 connection in my Network Connections which i cant get rid of, says its in-use 400mbps 0 packets sent or recieved.. in the properties of it all the settings are turnt off :confused: could this be related aswell?
Thanks for readin..
~ Disappointed Kitty x :(

Jonnymeg
18-03-2008, 20:28
Do not ever rely on speed test sites. They are often very wrong.

For example look at this screen shot. There is about 1 minute between the speedtest result shown and the download from usenet. They are not running at the same time.
The speedtest shows a **** poor speed but look in the top corner of the image and you will see the true download speed i am getting from giganews, 2.6mbps. This is slightly above 20meg.
As you can see there is a massive difference between what these sites report and what is often your true speed.

Download Failed (1)

I am not denying there may be real issues with the service but there are many people that complain when speedtest sites show false speeds and in my experience Speedtest.Net is a regular offender!

KungFuKitty
18-03-2008, 20:52
Oh i know, hence why i also stated the results from the speedtest on here. Thing is i've tried it every which way... speedtest.net is actually pretty accurate for me 8-9 times outta 10, my upload rate since thursday i upgraded has always got the full amount but download rate peaks around 13-15mb on a good/normal day... usually at night as i'm abit of a nightowl :D If i were to be getting say 18meg on average i wouldn't have a prob at all, but being closer to the 10mb line mark and paying for the 20meg is abit of a bad joke :(
I've tried alot of different settings on my pc, checking my router... putting under DMZ and off again etc etc... direct connection also but its all pretty much the same, sadly. As for the modem setup i can only change the channel and freq, which i tried too. It's so tiring and i just feel like i'm fighting a losing battle, knowing that if i am capped currently till 12 it's only going to go back up around 13megs worth.. ugh :(
I just need some solid advice to try and sort this problem out, it's doin' me head in to be honest, i'll try anything i can do myself if you guys advise it / show me how.
It doesn't make sense for one day i can get 18megs worth late at night all the rest are just the same ole 13megs... ok i'm ranting i dunno what else to do.. advice please :(
~ Kitty x

Jonnymeg
18-03-2008, 21:11
Oh i know, hence why i also stated the results from the speedtest on here. Thing is i've tried it every which way... speedtest.net is actually pretty accurate for me 8-9 times outta 10, my upload rate since thursday i upgraded has always got the full amount but download rate peaks around 13-15mb on a good/normal day... usually at night as i'm abit of a nightowl :D If i were to be getting say 18meg on average i wouldn't have a prob at all, but being closer to the 10mb line mark and paying for the 20meg is abit of a bad joke :(
I've tried alot of different settings on my pc, checking my router... putting under DMZ and off again etc etc... direct connection also but its all pretty much the same, sadly. As for the modem setup i can only change the channel and freq, which i tried too. It's so tiring and i just feel like i'm fighting a losing battle, knowing that if i am capped currently till 12 it's only going to go back up around 13megs worth.. ugh :(
I just need some solid advice to try and sort this problem out, it's doin' me head in to be honest, i'll try anything i can do myself if you guys advise it / show me how.
It doesn't make sense for one day i can get 18megs worth late at night all the rest are just the same ole 13megs... ok i'm ranting i dunno what else to do.. advice please :(
~ Kitty x

Well i already told you to get a new modem, that would be the best place to start.

KungFuKitty
18-03-2008, 21:22
Well i already told you to get a new modem, that would be the best place to start.
Hi Jonny, i know you said to get a new modem i'm just asking for other opinions as the problem may lay somewhere in my setup :erm: not sure what but its worth a check before i get on the phone to a uppity customer service bloke telling me my modem is fine and i dont apply for a new one :(
~ Kitty x

Jonnymeg
18-03-2008, 22:04
Hi Jonny, i know you said to get a new modem i'm just asking for other opinions as the problem may lay somewhere in my setup :erm: not sure what but its worth a check before i get on the phone to a uppity customer service bloke telling me my modem is fine and i dont apply for a new one :(
~ Kitty x

It seems that you have been through all the stuff a user can do and check. Save yourself the stress of trying to fix something you may not be able to and call in the experts!

KungFuKitty
18-03-2008, 22:10
My network card & settings incase the problem lies there..

Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection:
Adaptive Inter-Frame Spacing: Value 1
Adaptive Technology: Value On
Adaptive Transmit Threshold: Value 200
Coalesce Buffers: Value 8
Enable PME: OS Controlled
Flow Control: Generate and Respond
Link Speed & Duplex: Auto Detect
Locally Administered: Not Present
Log Link State Event: Disabled
PCI Bus Efficiency: Disabled
QoS Packet Tagging: Disabled
Recieve Descriptors: Value 48
Retransmit Inter-Frame Spacing: Value 10
Transmit Descriptors: Value 16
Wake On Link Settings: OS Controlled
Wake On Settings: OS Controlled

Driver Version: 8.0.19.0

Anything there seem off? thanks guys :)
~ Kitty x

AmAtoL
18-03-2008, 23:34
You know what KFK, if you have ever seen 18 meg then I would say it is a fair bet that your setup is ok, a lot of people on here see speed varying from 1 to 20 without touching any of their settings, why would they.
This is me now :-
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:30:41 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 422 ms = 2426.5 KB/sec, approx 19994 Kbps, 19.53 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 422 ms = 2426.5 KB/sec, approx 19994 Kbps, 19.53 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 484 ms = 2115.7 KB/sec, approx 17433 Kbps, 17.02 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 1047 ms = 1956.1 KB/sec, approx 16118 Kbps, 15.74 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 18385 Kbps, 17.95 Mbps

Still plays games like a dog though.

KungFuKitty
18-03-2008, 23:53
You know what KFK, if you have ever seen 18 meg then I would say it is a fair bet that your setup is ok, a lot of people on here see speed varying from 1 to 20 without touching any of their settings, why would they.
This is me now :-
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:30:41 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 422 ms = 2426.5 KB/sec, approx 19994 Kbps, 19.53 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 422 ms = 2426.5 KB/sec, approx 19994 Kbps, 19.53 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 484 ms = 2115.7 KB/sec, approx 17433 Kbps, 17.02 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 1047 ms = 1956.1 KB/sec, approx 16118 Kbps, 15.74 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 18385 Kbps, 17.95 Mbps

Still plays games like a dog though.

:( Wish i got that on an average basis and yea your right, i shouldn't have to go through all this setup ordeal, i'm sat here rackin' my brain thinking "what have i missed" and i'm never like this... i'm a fairly experienced pc user. When i ring up CS to say there's a problem it always results in "Oh it must be your end.. blah blah blah". I'm ringing up tomorrow again and requesting a new modem, so ****ed off with this, if i get told my old dusty Motorola SB4200i modem is "totally fine!!" i'm seriously gonna reach down the phone and rip the persons throat out :mad: How can they denie me a new modem when they dont even use the sb4200i anymore when installing new connections and i'm paying £37 for p.o.s service and connection :mad:
Sorry as you can tell this is really pullin' on my last nerve, all i've been doing all night other than messing with settings is refreshing this page and doing constant speedtests to see if any replies / differences have happend :(
Let ya all know how things go...
~ Kitty x

(Quick update: Now off-peak getting 12-14mb's worth of line, deffo ringin' up tomorrow :mad:)

KungFuKitty
19-03-2008, 16:05
:dozey: Rang up AGAIN paying the usual 25p a min for bad customer service, hurray :dozey:
Once again told my modem is fine, also that this guy has the same modem as me... and it works fine... funny that how every time i speak to a member of CS they have the exact same modem as me and theirs works fine isn't it? :mad:
Told him the connection i'm getting is closer to a 10meg line than 20meg, 13-14mb's just isn't cutting it and i've been advised by several VM techs through forums and VM newsgroups that i should ask for a new modem because they're more capable of delivering close to 20meg speeds... again i was told my modem is fine and he'll check if there's a problem in my area... "nope no problems in your area must be your end, 13-14meg worth is acceptable as it's only UPTO 20mb speed" ..... .... ..... :mad:
About £3's worth into the call now i'm startin' to lose patience as he tells me the same as the other unhelpfull bloke "you'd need to be at your computer so we can test it" ...again i mention that its not possible for me to be on the phone and pc at the same time, having my pc upstairs and the phone downstairs makes this not an option.. "you'll have to get an extention cord for your phone then" ...great... same responce as the other guy, god knows what they'd do if i was calling from somebodie elses house if i didn't have a phone line in my own house. Telling him that its not possible again and mentioning to get the phone upstairs would need a ****ing huge extention lead i get.. "well sorry but thats not our problem" THANK YOU VM CS! charging me again another £5 call for some unhelpfull prat who simply doesn't give a crap :td:
So there we go, i'm buggered paying for 20meg line and getting closer to a 10megs speed, so fed up with this... and what can i do about it? call again? for the fantastic service?!
Great...
~ Kitty x

AmAtoL
19-03-2008, 18:02
:( Wish i got that on an average basis

Unfortunately I don't Kitty, I know school's out now but this a fairer representation :=

Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:00:08 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 7063 ms = 145 KB/sec, approx 1195 Kbps, 1.17 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 1453 ms = 704.7 KB/sec, approx 5807 Kbps, 5.67 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 1594 ms = 642.4 KB/sec, approx 5293 Kbps, 5.17 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 2437 ms = 840.4 KB/sec, approx 6925 Kbps, 6.76 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 4805 Kbps, 4.69 Mbps

bigsinky
19-03-2008, 19:18
KFK,
Is it just because you pay for a 20 meg service that you want a 20 meg service. for surfing, can you tell the difference between pages that load. newsgroups like easynews or giganews should max out your 20 meg connection so unless you are download a crapload of movies or music the what difference does it make if you are getting 14 meg or 20 meg.

KungFuKitty
20-03-2008, 04:20
Unfortunately I don't Kitty, I know school's out now but this a fairer representation :=

Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:00:08 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 7063 ms = 145 KB/sec, approx 1195 Kbps, 1.17 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 1453 ms = 704.7 KB/sec, approx 5807 Kbps, 5.67 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 1594 ms = 642.4 KB/sec, approx 5293 Kbps, 5.17 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 2437 ms = 840.4 KB/sec, approx 6925 Kbps, 6.76 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 4805 Kbps, 4.69 Mbps

That sucks :( sorry to hear your having problems too mate, i read they were bringing back free CS calls... too right too, with all the bull we go through with them it's kinda insulting to have to pay 25p a min aswell... heh.

KFK,
Is it just because you pay for a 20 meg service that you want a 20 meg service. for surfing, can you tell the difference between pages that load. newsgroups like easynews or giganews should max out your 20 meg connection so unless you are download a crapload of movies or music the what difference does it make if you are getting 14 meg or 20 meg.

I surf, game, stream etc etc so yea i do 'need' the line so to speak and yes of course i want what i'm paying for... i guess everyone would? The fact is i'm not expecting a solid 20meg line constantly i'm expecting near it though, 18-19meg would be lovely and i wouldn't have a problem.. damn even 17 would be nice.
There becomes a big problem when people just 'make do' when their getting a crappy service and that's not me, i would rather get it resolved. VM in my opinion/experiences are sloppy with their customers, i come here for information/help to
1. sort out if its anything my end and..
2. to be well enough informed about the service to put up a decent argument if need be to the uppity CS people who try give you the run around :p:
When your running a network like me... pc / laptop / ps3... every little counts really, my girlfriend is online alot as am i.. i also got this line for gaming without lag which i know isn't just resulting in my connection but that contributes to it.. i want the service i'm paying for that's all i ask.
Also i don't know about everyone else but i don't actually have alot of money, this 20mb line is 'my little treat' so to speak and i should be able to get a decent service/quality for £37's which is alot to me.
Anyway i guess that's a summary of my point.. cheers for your opinions / help thus far everyone :)
~ Kitty x

bigsinky
20-03-2008, 19:12
as i have said before i just must be one of the lucky ones. always have good solid connection speeds in belfast, helped by the green cabinet being at the bottom of my garden. i understand where you are coming from, if you pay for a service you expect to get it but you can be sure that VM will have their A$$es covered by quoting your service "is up to 20Mbit". annoying i know but they always have you by the short and curlies

AmAtoL
20-03-2008, 21:09
I can spit to the green cab from my front door, so that's not it :)
I'm like Kitty and a lot of others nowadays who like to game, everyone knows even a 2 meg line would be good enough for gaming as long as it was solid. We are getting flaky connections with lots of loss or some other disruption which makes gaming a proper trial.
It doesn't matter what supposed "up to" speed you are on the connection quality is still as bad.

slowcoach
21-03-2008, 00:13
Kitty, try downloading at 4.00AM from a fast UK server, that will tell you what your maximum speed is, if you get anywhere near 20Mb/s then you know that the problem is over-subscription in your area and that your equipment is working fine.
Earlier today I was getting as low as 29KB/s with Web pages loading like treacle but I know I will get 19Mb/s after 2.00AM.

VM aren’t going to spend any money on the current setup, they are going to wait until they install the DOSCIS 3 kit which will probably turn out to be sometime next year for most areas. Once the DOSCIS 3 kit is up and running, which has to be installed in order for them to provide a 50Mb service, they might, might, decide to put the 20Mb users onto it as well, this will solve the speed and latency problems for all users, unfortunately doing this will require replacing all 20Mb customers modems with a more expensive one, so there is no guarantee that this will happen.

Whatever you do, do not phone the TS if you are getting good speeds in the early hours, you are just throwing good money after bad. Wait until June 1st when the calls are free and then do what I intend to do, give them **** every day. ;)

KungFuKitty
21-03-2008, 08:39
Lol thanks for your replies everyone, it's a little 'late' for me as i've been up all night busy with things so i wont rant too much :p:
In reply to bigsinky sadly yea VM are totally covered for it else i'd be all over the like a fly on **** right now, lolz... but thats biz i guess, just a shame.

AmAtoL that's totally right mate :tu: it does make it a trial to game online with such "flakey" connection speeds :( hopefully we can get this sorted out soon, fingers crossed and i'll update ANYTHIN' i learn on the subject reguardin' my area incase it might relate to you.

Hiya slowcoach :waving: thanks for your reply, that's one of the first things i've tried and continued to test.. in early hours, seein' as i'm usually up most of the night it hasn't been a prob to run tests durin' really late hours.. :dozey: although i'm 100% sure it's totally oversubscribed :dozey: it's deffo somethin' else too, i can't believe they get away with such a disgustingly :td: over subbed service though, yanno? sucks :( ... DOSCIS 3 kit is gonna be nice although i'm sure very unstable for a long while after its release, if they give us a free upgrade + new setup for that i'm literally gonna fall out my chair, down the stairs.. and hug the VM service installer for that one :p:
Oh and hell yes, come june 1st expect atleast one poor sod in CS to be tied up with me for a good few weeks lol :D

Cheers all for your input, gonna get me head down for the night :tu:
~ Kitty x