PDA

View Full Version : Disconecting then reconnection to virgin help?

scotty78
12-03-2008, 18:51
Hi guys been with telewest/virgin for many years, really fed up with the expensive bills every month. I have L tv XL broadband (£37 month) unlimited evening calls and in total excluding voice call charges I pay around £65 a month £100 including phone calls. I noticed on there web site there doing 20 mbit BB and a phone line with unlimited weekend calls for £31/month. I have just called and requested to be changed to this but I was told no can do as I am not a new customer. This package and the M tv package (free) would have been ideal. If I disconnect from Virgin and then reconnect again would that mean I would be able to get these new customer deals? anyone got any experience of this? they offered to reduce my current bill by £7 a month which really isnt very good considering some of the deals avaliable with sky. How does sky or any other form of broadband compare with virgins service

Thanks

chickendippers
12-03-2008, 19:46
You could upgrade to the VIP Package, that includes free local and national calls and discounted rates to mobiles and international numbers (...and V+ box, V Box, XL TV and XL Broadband) for only £85/month: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=11029

Canceling depends on whether you're still in your contact period. If you are, you'll have to buy yourself out (expensive), if not I don't know how long it'll be before VM will let you reconnect.

Bear in mind that Sky's broadband is ADSL, delivered down copper pipes and in all probability won't be the speed you pay for. With VM you stand a better chance of getting full speed (you must have seen the massive ad campaign?)

scotty78
12-03-2008, 20:04
Thanks for the reply, I have been with them since the beginning of telewest so 10-15 years. I know what your saying about adsl internet, however I have never got the 20mb that I pay for and I have just found out that my modem is not compatabile with the 20 mb speeds, fastest I ever get is about 10mb. That deal look ok, suprised they didnt offer me it tonight, do they offer any form of loyalty discounts? I have read about people getting offered really good deals to stay with virgin but the person I spoke to tonight was not really intrested.

moaningmags
12-03-2008, 22:39
I would call and speak to retentions, tell them you called cust services and enquired about the bundle and they were sooo offhand and unhelpful with you that you're considering leaving and can they help.
Chances are they will, unless you're in contract.

scotty78
12-03-2008, 23:12
Thanks will try that tomorrow, I thought it was retentions I had called, dialled 150 then option for thinking about leaving us, though I did see an 0800 number on a thread on the same subject over on av forums

Druchii
12-03-2008, 23:17
You should also get your modem swapped if you're on such an old one for 20Mb. Ask them about it.

frogstamper
13-03-2008, 02:12
Hi guys been with telewest/virgin for many years, really fed up with the expensive bills every month. I have L tv XL broadband (£37 month) unlimited evening calls and in total excluding voice call charges I pay around £65 a month £100 including phone calls. I noticed on there web site there doing 20 mbit BB and a phone line with unlimited weekend calls for £31/month. I have just called and requested to be changed to this but I was told no can do as I am not a new customer. This package and the M tv package (free) would have been ideal. If I disconnect from Virgin and then reconnect again would that mean I would be able to get these new customer deals? anyone got any experience of this? they offered to reduce my current bill by £7 a month which really isnt very good considering some of the deals avaliable with sky. How does sky or any other form of broadband compare with virgins service

Thanks

Scotty there is a better deal than the VIP package if you are not bothered about Sky sports or movies. For £65pm you get XL-TV, XL-BB and XL-Phone it also comes with a V+ box and a standard V box.:tu:

scotty78
13-03-2008, 18:51
Thanks guys will really have to get them to send another modem out, that sounds like a good deal frogstamper, would work out cheaper as I wouldnt need to pay for any landline calls. Just in from work now so guess its to late to phone them tonight, will have to get something done asap though

moaningmags
13-03-2008, 21:42
They are open until 8pm.