PDA

View Full Version : WebStar DPX100 going South?

Sunray
11-03-2008, 00:25
Hi

First timer, not sure if this is the correct Forum

I’m beginning to suspect my 4-year-old cable modem is going South, but not sure??
Front panel LEDs seem to be OK?
Data LED blinks rapidly (as expected) when connection is established & data transfer is in progress
When disconnection happens Data LED blinks slowly & only occasionally
Disconnection happens on home desktop & laptop computers both running Windows XP SP2 Pro

Apart from replacing modem, does anyone know if there is a definite check to determine if cable modem is OK?

Understand some of the 192.168.100.1 information but there is no help file to explain if values are within acceptable limits or any explanation/meaning of Log entries?

Recurring Log entries were: (I’m only guessing what they mean)

Error ToD request sent - No Response received

Log entries never reflect true date or time so assume ToD means time-of-day

Critical Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out

This entry may be the one that causes disconnection, assume number of T3 entries has a upper limit

Information Got a map with the new UCD change count, and changed upstream parms

Twice tried start frequency reset to 339000000 Hz
First time with Router connected – nothing changed
Second time with Modem only – reboot Log entry indicated Locked Frequency = 331000000 Hz
The Downstream Frequency changed down from 331250000 Hz to 331000000 Hz
This appeared to clear the critical entry

Now with either Modem only or Modem + Router connection, the only recurring Log entry is ToD error (appears once every 2.5 minutes)
Not sure if there’s an upper limit for this error before disconnection occurs & assume the Modem gets ToD from a Virgin Media network service server?

It’s either a failing modem or could be a Virgin Media cable broadband network service problem :mad:

Does anyone have any ideas, meanwhile thanks for any help?

moaningmags
11-03-2008, 08:04
"The Downstream Frequency changed down from 331250000 Hz to 331000000 Hz"

331250000 would have caused slow speeds, disconnections etc. If you keep getting T3 errors you'll need a tech.

ceedee
11-03-2008, 11:04
Robin Walker's elderly but authoritative Cable Modem Troubleshooting Tips (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html) has suggestions for appropriate modem signal levels.

Good luck!

Sunray
11-03-2008, 22:11
Thanks for the prompt feedback

Lots & of monotonous ToD errors but no disconnections yet, so far so good
Looks like a useful troubleshooting link, will read through it & hopefully learn something?

ceedee
12-03-2008, 00:39
After reading throught Robin's tips, if you still suspect you've really got a problem, I'd recommend you deal with Tech Support via the dedicated virginmedia.support.broadband.cable newsgroup rather than the expensive (and often annoying) phone call.
VM's instruction on setting up Outlook Express for newsgroups (http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up.php) is straightforward.

Welcome to CF, btw!