PDA

View Full Version : Council Tax Bill

iglu
10-03-2008, 13:31
It just arrived: £2,059.66 First time over 2K.... 206 quid a month....

No services, no decent roads whatsoever, but the tax is getting higher. And the council is run by Tories. There is no hope....

Knobbly
10-03-2008, 13:38
It just arrived: £2,059.66 First time over 2K.... 206 quid a month....

No services, no decent roads whatsoever, but the tax is getting higher. And the council is run by Tories. There is no hope....

So where you live is only dirt tracks and you take all of your own rubbish to the apparently non-existant tip, you have no local CAB, no facility for births, death's or marriage registrations, no funeral services, no healthcare, no council housing, no sports/recreation centres, no libraries, no parks, your streets are never cleaned, and apparently you have no local education.

Where is it you live again? Afghanistan?

iglu
10-03-2008, 13:46
Sunny Surrey mate :D We do not have poppy fields like Afghanistan but I am sure Surrey Council could come with a tax for that too, if needed.

What I am saying 2k is way too much for 2 people to pay. It's 206 quid per month.... on top of paying 40% tax...

Charlie_Bubble
10-03-2008, 14:47
Don't forget, the government distribute the money to local councils and have been biased in the last few years, funnelling the money north to appease the voters in their traditionally safe labour seats.

webcrawler2050
10-03-2008, 14:54
Mines £1200 a year bloody rob if you ask me! :(

Vlad_Dracul
10-03-2008, 15:20
Move to Spain..? ( or insert country of preference here..)
More sun,less ****..

IBI (Council Tax)

All properties that are properly registered with the local council have a rateable value, the "Valor Catastral". This has little relationship to the actual property value but is the base on which the council tax and the Property Owners Income Tax is calculated. A typical Council Tax is 0.6% of the Rateable Value per annum.

Angua
10-03-2008, 15:47
So where you live is only dirt tracks and you take all of your own rubbish to the apparently non-existant tip, you have no local CAB, no facility for births, death's or marriage registrations, no funeral services, no healthcare, no council housing, no sports/recreation centres, no libraries, no parks, your streets are never cleaned, and apparently you have no local education.

Where is it you live again? Afghanistan?

You forgot the local town or parish council, Fire Service and the charge for the Police.

Ours for a band C is similar to a colleagues band B with single person discount in a different area at around £1,200 pa.

Nugget
10-03-2008, 16:08
Don't forget, the government distribute the money to local councils and have been biased in the last few years, funnelling the money north to appease the voters in their traditionally safe labour seats.

Which is an interesting way of looking at it, bearing in mind the fact that my council tax went up last year and this year, and I'm fairly sure that I live in the North :dozey:

iglu
10-03-2008, 17:14
Move to Spain..? ( or insert country of preference here..)
More sun,less ****..

IBI (Council Tax)

All properties that are properly registered with the local council have a rateable value, the "Valor Catastral". This has little relationship to the actual property value but is the base on which the council tax and the Property Owners Income Tax is calculated. A typical Council Tax is 0.6% of the Rateable Value per annum.

Thanks.

I always was unhappy that my council tax and my water rates were calculated based on the size (rateable value) of my house. The two of us will not use more police, firemen, CAB, dirting the roads etc, if we have a 5 bedroom house or a two bedroom house.

Charlie_Bubble
10-03-2008, 17:49
Which is an interesting way of looking at it, bearing in mind the fact that my council tax went up last year and this year, and I'm fairly sure that I live in the North :dozey:

What is your tax though? I'm in a 1 bedroom flat and my council tax bill last year was approx £1300. I also think that if you do some research you'll find out that what I said is true. Labour have given more central funding of councils to the northern councils to keep the rises down and thus councils down south have had to put tax up more.

Scarlett
10-03-2008, 18:12
Mine went up by 5% this year so will be in the region of £1050 (being rougly £1k for Band B last year) however I am well aware of what cuts are having to be made to allow the rise to only be 5%.

Central gov calcualte the extra money they give you on some horrifically out of date figures, also not taking account that the reason for the large rise in population we've had in Cambs since the figures were calcualted is due to immigration (no problem with that) but this requires people that can speak the lingo of these immigrants so that the council/Police/etc. can actually help them in the first place.

iglu
10-03-2008, 18:24

Charlie_Bubble is correct. Look here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/politics_show/7235183.stm)

Councils in the South of England receiving average increases in their government grants of about 2%, and councils in the North of England receiving 6% and upwards

SMHarman
11-03-2008, 16:11
What is your tax though? I'm in a 1 bedroom flat and my council tax bill last year was approx £1300. I also think that if you do some research you'll find out that what I said is true. Labour have given more central funding of councils to the northern councils to keep the rises down and thus councils down south have had to put tax up more.Yet Wandsworth, a tory council managed 0 council tax for a few years as central govt funding covered their costs.

The Northern rises are probably larger that the southern ones as central governement is now not really increasing the level of funding to councils.
So if you had a budget of £1M and that was from £.9 central govt and £0.1 council tax and now your budget is £1.05 with the same £0.9 from central govt you need to get £0.15 from the residents, an increase of 50%.

Try the US property taxes.
http://www.goldcoast.remax-nj.com/remaxnj/modules/internet/search/includes/mapsearch/listingpopup.asp?mlsid=214&mlsnumber=70013458&l=y
On the market for $649,000, so you need a mortgage for that, then you also need to find $224 a month in building maintainance fees and $7,400 a year in property taxes, 11% of the property value, every year...

Jules
11-03-2008, 17:20
We haven't got ours yet, no doubt it will have gone up again :(