PDA

View Full Version : New modem?

Jowep
09-03-2008, 20:07
Well, I asked this over on Chetnet but they seem to think everyone is a thief and banned me for attempting to steal service, if you think that's what I'm trying to do feel free not to post.

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/showthread.php?p=62036#post62036

Chetnet post ^

Basicaly, I have an Ambit 120 and it's constantly disonnecting, I've had this modem for I think about 5 years now and I want it replaced.

Last time I spoke to NTL with any issue with internet service they blamed everything from my PC, anti virus software, firewall etc etc and I really can't be bothered dealing with all that hassle.

I'm wanting to know, if I was to buy a modem off of eBay that claims to be compatible with NTL/Virgin Media, will I be able to phone up VM with all of my LEGIT ACCOUNT DETAILS and ask them to change the current MAC associated with my account to the MAC address of the new modem?

If this is not possible would I be able to get a modem capable of cloning a MAC and just use the one my current modem (Ambit 120) has?

This is NOT about attempting to gain access to service I am not paying for, I know how that works and anyone else who knows how that works SHOULD know that asking NTL to change the MAC address linked specificaly with the account payed for in my name would in no way enable me too steal internet. If that was my goal there are much more forgiving forums out there who have members quite willing to help with that.

If you're going to tell me that buying a modem from eBay is buying stolen goods please don't bother, as there are many modems out there that aren't the property of NTL/VM.

If you feel any of this should be edited please feel free to contact me etc, my details where put up in the post on chetnet so I'm not trying to hide anything about myself.

Thanks.

Halcyon
09-03-2008, 20:35
Hi there,
I will try to answer your questions.

Buying a modem off ebay is illegal as the person selling the modem is selling something that does not belong to them. The modem remains property of Virginmedia.

Any cloned or other modified or sourced modems are illegal as they can 1) allow a user to get free services or 2) disrupt the network or cause problems to other customers.

I am not accusing you of anything as I can see that you want to get your issue sorted and are a genuine customer.

The only thing I can suggest is to continue trying to call Virginmedia and telling them that you need a new modem as yours is faulty.
Tell them that you have tried it on different computers and run all diagnostics, disabled anti-virus, etc, and it has not made a bit of difference.

Hopefully someone on here who works for Virginmedia can see you are having issues and contact you.

I know it must be fustrating as sometimes they will accuse you that it is your equipment when you fully are aware that everything is fine your end. Hopefully you will finally get through to someone at Virginmedia that will take your issues seriously.

:welcome: to the forums by the way.

Jowep
09-03-2008, 20:36
Well I know you can buy brand new modems, that aren't NTL or Virgin Media owned, Surfboard are the only ones that come to mind as I haven't looked into that much yet. If I were to buy one would I be able to phone up NTL and have them register my own owned modem to my account?

PAYNEARDO
09-03-2008, 20:39
Well I know you can buy brand new modems, that aren't NTL or Virgin Media owned, Surfboard are the only ones that come to mind as I haven't looked into that much yet. If I were to buy one would I be able to phone up NTL and have them register my own owned modem to my account?

Almost sure that you cant use your own modem on their network and know its very hard to buy a cable modem as well (don't even think you can buy them as it is prob illegal). You can buy ADSL modems but not sure what VM rules are on that :)

Jowep
09-03-2008, 20:44
Well an ADSL modem wouldn't work since VM don't use ADSL.

I'm on 20MB with the Ambit 120 and I'm getting really poor service, constant disconnects, never hitting max speed (even at 3 in the morning) most of the time not even getting near it.

For now I guess I'll just ring VM tomorow and try and get them to send someone out to replace it, wont hold my breath though. If anyone has any other info on the Ambit 120 and 20MB service that might help me out it'd be most appreciated.

Thanks.

PAYNEARDO
09-03-2008, 20:46
[QUOTE=Jowep;34503617]Well an ADSL modem wouldn't work since VM don't use ADSL.

VM do have some ADSL services now just wanted to make sure you wasn't one of them :)

Best is to give them a ring, they will send out a new cable modem and you can install it yourself if you don't want an engineer :)

dilli-theclaw
09-03-2008, 20:46
You are only permitted to use a virgin supplied modem on the virgin cable network.

Simply, no, you can't buy one from ebay and use it.

Clonig a modem, even if you feel it is appropriate is also not legal in that you would be using one you bought and not one supplied.

This site cannot allow discussion of methods and obtaining illegal hardware / software / servives.

You will have to be more forceful in contacting customer services for a replacement modem.

Halcyon
09-03-2008, 20:47
Virginmedia do use ADSL in some areas. They offer both adsl and cable services, but mostly cable.

Good luck calling VM.

jcw00
09-03-2008, 20:48
Does your current modem support the 20Mb connection? If not upgrade to 20Mb for one month, and ask for a free replacment modem. This should be cheaper than buying one from eBay.

dilli-theclaw
09-03-2008, 20:48
Well an ADSL modem wouldn't work since VM don't use ADSL.

There is a virgin ADSL service too.

I'm on 20MB with the Ambit 120 and I'm getting really poor service, constant disconnects, never hitting max speed (even at 3 in the morning) most of the time not even getting near it.

For now I guess I'll just ring VM tomorow and try and get them to send someone out to replace it, wont hold my breath though. If anyone has any other info on the Ambit 120 and 20MB service that might help me out it'd be most appreciated.

Thanks.

I had a 120 and Virgin came out and installed a new one when I went up to 20mb.

Jowep
09-03-2008, 21:04
Didn't realize VM did ADSL now. Sorry for the misinformation :P

Anything I can say to get me fast tracked to having a new modem posted to me? Or are they going to insist a tech gets sent out? I'm going to have no problem with installing a new modem myself.

Any idea why I wasn't offered or even informed about a modem upgrade? I've had 20MB for a few months now in my home but never used it much myself, so didn't notice any problems.

utt
09-03-2008, 21:07
Well, I asked this over on Chetnet but they seem to think everyone is a thief and banned me for attempting to steal service, if you think that's what I'm trying to do feel free not to post.

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/showthread.php?p=62036#post62036

Chetnet post ^

Basicaly, I have an Ambit 120 and it's constantly disonnecting, I've had this modem for I think about 5 years now and I want it replaced.

Last time I spoke to NTL with any issue with internet service they blamed everything from my PC, anti virus software, firewall etc etc and I really can't be bothered dealing with all that hassle.

I'm wanting to know, if I was to buy a modem off of eBay that claims to be compatible with NTL/Virgin Media, will I be able to phone up VM with all of my LEGIT ACCOUNT DETAILS and ask them to change the current MAC associated with my account to the MAC address of the new modem?

If this is not possible would I be able to get a modem capable of cloning a MAC and just use the one my current modem (Ambit 120) has?

This is NOT about attempting to gain access to service I am not paying for, I know how that works and anyone else who knows how that works SHOULD know that asking NTL to change the MAC address linked specificaly with the account payed for in my name would in no way enable me too steal internet. If that was my goal there are much more forgiving forums out there who have members quite willing to help with that.

If you're going to tell me that buying a modem from eBay is buying stolen goods please don't bother, as there are many modems out there that aren't the property of NTL/VM.

If you feel any of this should be edited please feel free to contact me etc, my details where put up in the post on chetnet so I'm not trying to hide anything about myself.

Thanks.

Having read your post on Chetnet I can understand why they thought you were trying to obtain free service. You do mention cloning your modem.

However as it has been said, you cannot use any modem on the VM network unless its supplied by VM. The ones from Ebay are stolen so I would advise stay away from them.

all of tech suppport are aware the 120 does not support 20mb and will organise a change for you. They should even refund the cost of the call as its a Virgin Media (not ntl) issue

Jowep
09-03-2008, 21:11
Cheers for all the help! I'll explain that I have the Ambit 120 and have been told by many sources that it is ment to be upgraded for the 20MB service. I'll post back tomorow to say how I get on!

dilli-theclaw
09-03-2008, 21:12
Cheers for all the help! I'll explain that I have the Ambit 120 and have been told by many sources that it is ment to be upgraded for the 20MB service. I'll post back tomorow to say how I get on!Good stuff :tu:

Welshchris
09-03-2008, 21:17

if im not mistaken Linksys also do cablemodem\router combined.

Jowep
09-03-2008, 21:26
if im not mistaken Linksys also do cablemodem\router combined.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&cid=1138056788757

;)

Wonder if NTL would let me register one of those? hehe. Would cut down on plug usage round here.

aarongale
13-03-2008, 01:06
Hi,

I just posted this as a reply to a different thread here but it might be applicable to you.

I was in the same boat as you. Had the Ambit 120 for 3 years+ with lots of recent issues of line drops.

See if you can make it crash by opening loads if web pages at once. Just get this forum list up and hold the CTRL key and click 15 threads to open in seperate tabs. Might be tricky if you don't have tabs in IE or whatever.

Aaron

Previous post------------>

I just had the same problem with my Ambit 120 rebooting itself. I could reproduce the problem by quickly opening about 15 web pages at once. 90% of the time it would reboot itself.

I phones Customer Services and said I could make it reboot by doing this and they arranged to send out a new cable modem. A nice new Ambit 255 (maybe a 256 how do you tell?) arrived yesterday and after a MAC activation phone call is working great.

Aaron

Welshchris
13-03-2008, 03:02
model number is on the back by the mac code.

Mine is a 255.

Druchii
13-03-2008, 05:31
Hi,

I just posted this as a reply to a different thread here but it might be applicable to you.

I was in the same boat as you. Had the Ambit 120 for 3 years+ with lots of recent issues of line drops.

See if you can make it crash by opening loads if web pages at once. Just get this forum list up and hold the CTRL key and click 15 threads to open in seperate tabs. Might be tricky if you don't have tabs in IE or whatever.

Aaron

Previous post------------>

I just had the same problem with my Ambit 120 rebooting itself. I could reproduce the problem by quickly opening about 15 web pages at once. 90% of the time it would reboot itself.

I phones Customer Services and said I could make it reboot by doing this and they arranged to send out a new cable modem. A nice new Ambit 255 (maybe a 256 how do you tell?) arrived yesterday and after a MAC activation phone call is working great.

Aaron
That's a good idea, making it crash while on the phone to tech support to prove it's not fit for service.

Another sneaky thing i've heard is to simply unplug it halfway through tests... *cough* ;)

mrsnooch
13-03-2008, 11:00
Now thats a very interesting thing. My modem has been rebooting loads over the last few weeks, mainly during skype (im assuming the high volume of data being sent back and forth knocks it out) so i may well just try this!

Druchii
13-03-2008, 14:56
Now thats a very interesting thing. My modem has been rebooting loads over the last few weeks, mainly during skype (im assuming the high volume of data being sent back and forth knocks it out) so i may well just try this!
It's the priority of the data, it's in real-time and constant, as such it will kill a faulty modem.

mrsnooch
13-03-2008, 15:09
So it's worth me also giving them a call