PDA

View Full Version : Pcguard Questions?

treeman
07-03-2008, 13:31
i am looking for some advice on if it is worth downloading the free pcguard security software from virginmedia?

has anybody had any problems with its performance or any other probs as i do have vista on my pc?

cheers fror any help and advice!

smeagoly1
07-03-2008, 13:58
TBH PC Guard is as much use as a concrete parachute and resource hungry. It does slow your system down and I found web pages a nightmare to load up.

The best free alternatives are :-

AVG and Avast for Virus pritection
Comodo, Ashampoo or zone alarms for free firewall, I have used all and found them excellent. You will also find the above mentioned a few times by other users, when asked about using PCGuard in other threads.

PCGUARD might be free and easy to use but for security go for the better alternatives, PCG is only provided by VM not produced by them. It's a way of saying we can legaly advertise we supply free virus and firewall protection.

Currently using AVAST and ASHAMPOO and both working fine and dandy.

Edited for a P.S It's better using it than without protection, so your choice.

webcrawler2050
07-03-2008, 15:16
I found ths too.. personally I think its rubbish, causing lock, slowness andjust general ickyness!

Use AVG for antivirus & adaware SE Personal for spyware.

Toto
07-03-2008, 15:31
i am looking for some advice on if it is worth downloading the free pcguard security software from virginmedia?

has anybody had any problems with its performance or any other probs as i do have vista on my pc?

As per the other comments, PCGaurd aint worth the time or effort to install it, honestly.

If you want a good free AV program, Avast and AVG are good and solid. If youcan pay for a good solid AV program, may I recommend NOD32. (http://www.eset.com/)

Mikey845
07-03-2008, 15:42

I have to agree, cant believe i installed it, when i noticed strange behaviour from my pc , ran a scan with pc guard and it came back clean. un-installed it and put avast in and found 9 viruses :(

mertle
07-03-2008, 15:42
AVG gone down big time AVAST seems the only decent free one now.

AVG was not stopping spyware or trojans and soon moved to avast 4 things came up which was overlooked by AVG.

AVG was good but not anymore on my experience.

On paying I always used norton anti virus. I liked it its expensive but it does a good job.

chickendippers
07-03-2008, 15:47
AntiVir (http://www.free-av.com/en/index.html) is a good free virus scanner.

frogstamper
07-03-2008, 16:53
Have used AVG in the past and it did a reasonable job, but if you want peace of mind go out and get Norton. Miss a couple of nights in the pub and its payed for, well worth it.

Toto
07-03-2008, 16:59
Have used AVG in the past and it did a reasonable job, but if you want peace of mind go out and get Norton. Miss a couple of nights in the pub and its payed for, well worth it.

Unless you have a lot of resources on your PC/Laptop, Norton is way to bulky.

frogstamper
07-03-2008, 17:28
Yeah fair point!

RizzyKing
07-03-2008, 21:41
I use avast for av and ad aware and spoybot for the other nasty's only use the firewall that comes with vista and my router with all anti hack stuff on so far not had a problem. Used to use bitdefender IS v10 and that was always very good but didn't have a vista version when i upgraded my os so had to ditch it.

webcrawler2050
08-03-2008, 06:16
[quote] go out and get Norton[quote]

No thanks - causing incredible system lock and is bloody exspensive and is crap.

Personally, they are a;; as bad as each other! If Windows woul fix this then there would be no need!

treeman
08-03-2008, 10:36
thanks alot for that very good feedback so i will stay clear of pcgaurd like a pile of manure!!;)

Taf
08-03-2008, 10:45
http://www.virus.gr/portal/en/node/12

I use PCGuard with no problems... but have a couple of belt-and-braces AVs to run on-demand if I suspect PCGuard has missed something (AVG7.5 Free and A-squared Free).

I have only had ONE virus infection in several years, and AVG killed it immediately, PCGuard wasn't around then...

Zee
08-03-2008, 10:53
Im using Windows Live OneCare.

The main reason im using this is because its the only firewall that is pre-configured to work properly with Xbox 360 streaming from the PC.

the firewall is really good and so is the antivirus and it has all the other stuff like anti-spyware etc...

http://onecare.live.com

GeoffB
08-03-2008, 10:57
I removed the Broadband Medic programme which seems to run alongside PCG and the computer speeded up considerably.