PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing problem, yet to be solved

slingading
06-03-2008, 11:14
For the past 8 days Ive been suffering loss of internet and on-demand services. It seems to be having late afternoon, and then sometimes around 9 or 10 oclock. It always come back on eventually, usually in the morning.

Customer support have advised the usual unplugging modem and set top box, booking an engineer that never turned up, but now Im getting a bit peeved off. Last night I returned from work to find that yet again I couldnt access the internet and the "online" light on the V+ box was flashing again. So yet again (this must be the 20th phone call Ive made in a week) I call CS and a very helpful lady offers to call me back and then we set about checking all the protocols etc. I used 2 different operating systems, Vista Ultimate 64-bit (main system) and XP 32-bit as a backup. Now she claims that Vista's IPv6 protocol shouldnt be enabled as this is whats causing the problem :confused:

Now this seems very odd to me, firstly my service always comes back on eventually, and this is usually when the pc is still turned on, but secondly Ive been using this same install of Vista since the start of September, and I know IPv6 has been enabled in all this time, and Ive never had any problems with my connection until last Wednesday evening.

Does this sound correct, or am I being fed a load of the smelly stuff? I really want to get to the bottom of this and get my problems sorted, Ive had great service from Virgin / Telewest for the past couple of years until now, but if I cant get anyone to get my service back to normal Im likely to jump ship to Sky and take up O2 on the free broadband they keep offering me.

Im sure its something to do with our local cabinet :confused:

lostandconfused
06-03-2008, 11:18
it has nothing to do with ipv6 at all. My machine runs fine with both 4 and 6 active

Something that would blow that argument out of the water straight away is if the machine running on XP has the fault at the same time?

Nedkelly
06-03-2008, 11:40
If the bb and your V+ machine go off together then there is a problem with the feed in to your house if no one else is having problems in your street .:)

slingading
06-03-2008, 12:18
If the bb and your V+ machine go off together then there is a problem with the feed in to your house if no one else is having problems in your street .:)

Well when I phoned on Tuesday evening to say that it had gone off yet again I was told that it was a fault in the area as they had 5 or 6 other calls from people in my street saying the same. Why did I get put through that rigmarole last night? :(

JenJen
06-03-2008, 19:23
I dont understand, the V+ box doesnt support broadband. So you shouldnt be able to connect at all unless your using a wireless router and piggybacking on someone elses network :P

slingading
07-03-2008, 00:54
I dont understand, the V+ box doesnt support broadband. So you shouldnt be able to connect at all unless your using a wireless router and piggybacking on someone elses network :P

No my internet is a seperate connection upstairs, apparently the on demand service and broadband use the same cable to the house as Ive been told tonight (I got 3 hours of use when I got home before it went off again, its just come back now)

Another engineer booked for Saturday morning, lets hope this one turns up this time :rolleyes:

Rapidly starting to lose faith in this now :td:

techyguy4
07-03-2008, 09:05
[QUOTE=slingading;34501247 Now she claims that Vista's IPv6 protocol shouldnt be enabled as this is whats causing the problem :confused:
:[/QUOTE]

Hi, the ISPs' are providing ipv4 ip address but even if ipv6 is enabled, it should not cause any problem. It will simply convert your ipv4 ip address into some hexadecimal numbers. You can try connecting the modem straight to the computer, then check the ip address (ipv4). Ideally it should be a public ip address (e.g.82.xx.xx.xx or 86.xx.xx.xx). Try the internet, if it works then track the connection for a longer duration just to check whether it drops or not.

slingading
07-03-2008, 09:23
Hi, the ISPs' are providing ipv4 ip address but even if ipv6 is enabled, it should not cause any problem. It will simply convert your ipv4 ip address into some hexadecimal numbers. You can try connecting the modem straight to the computer, then check the ip address (ipv4). Ideally it should be a public ip address (e.g.82.xx.xx.xx or 86.xx.xx.xx). Try the internet, if it works then track the connection for a longer duration just to check whether it drops or not.

Hi thanks for replying, I have actually bypassed my router and had the modem connected direct to the pc for the past week but it makes no difference. How do I track my connection as your suggest? Do you basically mean keep an eye on it whilst its working to make sure it doesnt lose connection?

thanks.

techyguy4
07-03-2008, 10:26
Hi thanks for replying, I have actually bypassed my router and had the modem connected direct to the pc for the past week but it makes no difference. How do I track my connection as your suggest? Do you basically mean keep an eye on it whilst its working to make sure it doesnt lose connection?

thanks.

by tracking I mean to say you need to check some details after the conneciton is dropped again. If you are on the ntl platform then the computer should get the ip address of 192.168.100.X in case the modem drops the connection. And if it is the computer the it will try to pick up the auto config ip address of 169.254.xx.xx.
If you are able to find that the modem is dropping the connection,then you can call tech support for sending out a tech.(call charges will be refunded).

slingading
07-03-2008, 19:47
ok, its gone once tonight but only for about 10 mins. My ip4 address is 92.234.196.***

Is this as it should be?

I'll give you some figures from the modem:

Cable Modem Status
Operational
IP Address
Current Time
Fri Mar 07 19:45:06 2008
Time Since Last Reset
0 days 21h:39m:30s
Configuration File
cm-10240-512
Cable Modem Certificate
Installed

Downstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal coming from the network to your cable modem.

Downstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz
Modulation
256QAM
Bit Rate
10240000 bits/sec
Power Level
11.9 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio
43.7 dB

Upstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal being transmitted to the network from your cable modem.

Upstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Upstream Frequency
25800000 Hz
Modulation
16QAM
Bit Rate
512000 bits/sec
Power Level
41.0 dBmV

Log
This page provides important information that can be used to resolve problems with your cable modem.

Time Level Description
Thu Mar 06 22:08:26 2008 Error (4) SW upgrade Failed before download - TFTP Max Retry Exceeded
Time Not Established Notice (6) SW Download INIT - Via Config file cm-10240-512
Time Not Established Critical (3) REG RSP not received
Time Not Established Error (4) ToD request sent- No Response received
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Request sent, No response
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Thu Mar 06 21:52:09 2008 Critical (3) REG RSP not received
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Wed Mar 05 23:54:22 2008 Critical (3) REG RSP not received
Time Not Established Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...
Time Not Established Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...

slingading
08-03-2008, 09:21
Engineer just been, apparently someone on our street has had a "bad box" which they found out about last night and knocked off, my service has been spot on since. Could it have been a cloned box or something like that?