PDA

View Full Version : Terminating NTL Broadband Business

IP-MAN
04-03-2008, 22:10
Hello Everybody,

I would like to terminate my contract which I thought was a 12 month contract. However, I found out I was on a 24 month contract. I'm sure that I would never agree to 24 month. The whole procedure when I ordered the NTL cable broadband for 9 month ago was one email with the offer and one email that I agreed with the offer. But there was never mentioned about the contract length (email or telephone) or even any Terms & Conditions. Also other things I was not informed like:

Paid deposit of 12 month. Received first bill of £ 40 pounds. I thought I have paid in advance. Called up and asked the lady about the deposit and why they still charge me. It wouldn't make sense. The lady explained me that the deposit would be credited after 6 month. Also asked for Terms & Condition to be send.
...nothing received.

My Partner called up recently to ask again for Terms & Condition (...nothing received) also ask for termination and was told that we are on a 24 month contract and would pay penalty charge if we would leave. My partner also asked for the deposit as it is already 6 month over. The lady said the deposit would be paid back after the contracts ends.

Now I do not have any paperwork (never received anything except bills) nor Contract or Terms & Condition. The emails I have received never stated any Terms & Condition or contract length.

The reason why I would like to terminate is that they do not provide QoS in their networks which I need for VoIP (I can do only 2 simultaneous calls but I'm on 10mb). And their broadband is not really reliable and expensive.

I think they got me trapped? Is there any way to get out?

lostandconfused
05-03-2008, 08:21
Most business contracts like mobiles etc come with a 24month contract, there may be a way to get out because you have not signed a contract. But by having the service installed and keeping them for 12 months could be seen as agreement of the t&c's.
I would send a registered letter to head office requesting a copy of their t&c's

Yvonne Farrell
08-08-2008, 11:22
I agreed to take transferred calls for a friend 5 years ago when he relocated to Spain just in case there was anything important (in fact I only get nuisance calls). I have been paying the Recurring charges of £13.00 since then. I did not realise (I think) the line rental had in fact been transferred and am now told when I tried to terminate that I would have to pay a penalty charge of 3 months or 'pass it on to someone else!'. I'm sure my friend would not have lumbered me into a situation of this kind. What bugged me was I had to spend a considerable amount of time getting through to the correct department which was actually 'THE LOYALTY DEPARTMENT'. Bit of a joke! I have written to Head Office Customber Services. I have never seen a Contract - only bills. Anyone else had this problem?

Kymmy
08-08-2008, 11:29
When I joined Business NTL/TW it was definately specified to me that it is a 24month contract.

If you're though desperate to leave then just wait for STM to be brought out as that'll be a major change in T&C's as it was sold as a NO USAGE CAPS service, then you have an arguement to cancel.

Kymmy

I Moved Yvonne's latest post and my answer to her own thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33637142-ntl-telewest-business.html) that she started a few days ago as it's not relevant to the OP

Thunderballs
08-08-2008, 20:01
When I joined Business NTL/TW it was definately specified to me that it is a 24month contract.

If you're though desperate to leave then just wait for STM to be brought out as that'll be a major change in T&C's as it was sold as a NO USAGE CAPS service, then you have an arguement to cancel.

Kymmy

I Moved Yvonne's latest post and my answer to her own thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33637142-ntl-telewest-business.html) that she started a few days ago as it's not relevant to the OP

Yes. I agree. It is actually very specifically a 24 month contract which makes it prohibitively expensive and tying unless you really need a second Virgin internet connection or the business features.

All the prices quoted dont include VAT as is normal for business orientated products and services.

24 months is an awfully long time in the ISP business

Kymmy
08-08-2008, 20:07
expensive?? You pay the same per month whether it be a 12 or 24 month contract...

As for long time I hope my business runs longer than 24 months ;)

Sorry i don't understand the "2nd VM internet connection" I migrated from a residential account to business and at no point had 2 accounts going...