PDA

View Full Version : IRC'ing?

eth01
04-03-2008, 19:52
what's going on with VM's network, or DNS for that matter?

* Connect retry #1 irc.efnet.org (6667) (dns pool)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)
-

* Connecting to irc.freenode.net (6668)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)

I've had this for about 2/3 days now. If I change port it's all okay.

Weird...

grubbymitts
04-03-2008, 20:18
both Efnet and Freenode working here

jcuk
04-03-2008, 20:36
what's going on with VM's network, or DNS for that matter?

Weird...

dont think its much to do with virgins network, however it could be, both networks work fine for me too. checked router configuration?

smeagoly1
04-03-2008, 21:14
I used to use MIRC more than a few years back. At times there used to be a lot of abuse and DOS attacks on various servers, so instead of indervidual bans they may have used a blanket 24 hour ISP ban.
I know the old Dalnet server had a sustained attack over a few months, leading to all AOL users getting banned in the mid 90's.

Mind you the server might be down for a service, it does happen, I would wait 24 hours and then try to connect, or maybe see if my firewall had blocked IRC. It happend a few times with an early version of zone alarms, would block MIRC without my knowledge.

v0id
04-03-2008, 22:04
Try to connect with their servers IP address

eth01
04-03-2008, 22:25
it works when I connect to the IP, but doesn't when connecting via the actual domain name - which again, sounds like a DNS resolving issue, which I can only blame VM for.

bbwannabe
04-03-2008, 23:05
it works when I connect to the IP < how do you do that? I've had this issue with two servers .. ChatSociety and Enterthegame servers.

nffc
05-03-2008, 00:20
IRC working fine here.

Dai
05-03-2008, 00:20
it works when I connect to the IP, but doesn't when connecting via the actual domain name - which again, sounds like a DNS resolving issue, which I can only blame VM for.

You might be interested to look at the DNS service that I use.

http://treewalkdns.com/

squirrel1970
05-03-2008, 02:08
Ah joy of joys, so it's not just me that suffers the blight of mirc? I use ircnet and spend more time pinging out than anything else... it's a PITA...
It's an important place for me... got friends, good friends, people I've met and am due to meet for a concert at the end of this month and I'd like to stay connected for longer than a couple of minutes at a time.... we have details to arrange for meeting up (some have never been to Manchester before and aren't from the UK) so we can all proceed to the venue together - and irc, right now, is a valuable asset for what I need to be doing but currently can't.
The ircnet chatroom itself is 12 years old, so therefore, it moving home to another irc server is not on the agenda...
I use a Vista driven laptop to connect and up until just recently, there wasn't a problem at all.. yes, I'm wireless too - but nothing has changed regarding our router settings and the laptop is fully uptodate with everything and yes, mIRC has got top priority.... the internet is running superbly sweetly here (no sign of the 10meg upgrade as yet... *lol*) so, I can't think what the issue is.... our other PC which is connected via the ethernet ports hasn't got a single problem....
Browsing through the forum on mirc.com leads *nowhere*.....

eth01
05-03-2008, 02:17
Ah joy of joys, so it's not just me that suffers the blight of mirc? I use ircnet and spend more time pinging out than anything else... it's a PITA...
It's an important place for me... got friends, good friends, people I've met and am due to meet for a concert at the end of this month and I'd like to stay connected for longer than a couple of minutes at a time.... we have details to arrange for meeting up (some have never been to Manchester before and aren't from the UK) so we can all proceed to the venue together - and irc, right now, is a valuable asset for what I need to be doing but currently can't.
The ircnet chatroom itself is 12 years old, so therefore, it moving home to another irc server is not on the agenda...
I use a Vista driven laptop to connect and up until just recently, there wasn't a problem at all.. yes, I'm wireless too - but nothing has changed regarding our router settings and the laptop is fully uptodate with everything and yes, mIRC has got top priority.... the internet is running superbly sweetly here (no sign of the 10meg upgrade as yet... *lol*) so, I can't think what the issue is.... our other PC which is connected via the ethernet ports hasn't got a single problem....
Browsing through the forum on mirc.com leads *nowhere*.....

i'm from manchester lol :P

dev
05-03-2008, 03:42

considering theres ~30 IPs for irc.efnet.org and ~10 for irc.freenode.net it's unlikely the one you used with the hostname was the one you tried with the IP.

Secondly, the 'Connection Refused' error has nothing to do with DNS (what is it with people blaming DNS problems for all connections problems lately?). If it was the DNS failing to resolve you'd see 'Unable to resolve server'.

Granted you could be getting an old record for the host names but IRC server IPs rarely change.

eth01
05-03-2008, 14:19
considering theres ~30 IPs for irc.efnet.org and ~10 for irc.freenode.net it's unlikely the one you used with the hostname was the one you tried with the IP.

Secondly, the 'Connection Refused' error has nothing to do with DNS (what is it with people blaming DNS problems for all connections problems lately?). If it was the DNS failing to resolve you'd see 'Unable to resolve server'.

Granted you could be getting an old record for the host names but IRC server IPs rarely change.

I can't connect to any one IP, oh, I can connect to one which uses :8001 on freenode ... efnet is no go zone.

Weird...[/QUOTE]

PeteTheMusicGuy
05-03-2008, 14:37
I've had no problems with MIRC myself

AmAtoL
05-03-2008, 22:17
Although I've dropped off the IRC scene recently, I always used to use Quakenet, mainly due to the popularity of the game and clan channels. It was as solid as you could want.
Although no good if you have long standing channels elsewhere.

dev
05-03-2008, 22:44
I can't connect to any one IP, oh, I can connect to one which uses :8001 on freenode ... efnet is no go zone.

Weird...

so *none* of the 30 efnet servers work at all on port 6667 for you?