PDA

View Full Version : Net goes down when starting one P2P but..

bbwannabe
03-03-2008, 15:46
not when using another.

I have two p2ps programs on my computer (utorrent and emule). Over the past few days I've had connection issues, sometimes all day, sometimes it works fine but has occassional drops in connection. Today after resetting my router/modem I could connect ok, had torrent running for a few ours as well as irc, but as soon as I start emule, it drops (I use it sometimes when net drops as it shows me a graph of when it is working fine and when it doesn't). I close it down and it works fine again. A few hours later I give it another try and the same thing happens.

I think it's too coincidental of a situation, so was wondering if there was a reasonable explaination?. Seems weird to me.

xspeedyx
03-03-2008, 16:07
It sounds like your overloading your connection/router.
You should only use one peer2peer program at once as too many connections can cause your connection to suddenly drop out

bbwannabe
03-03-2008, 16:13
But i've had the exact same no of connections for a while in both programs and with no problems until just a few days ago.

Richy99
03-03-2008, 16:33
try updating the firmware fo the router, sounds like hardware issue with it rather than a VM issue

bbwannabe
03-03-2008, 16:58
lol, updated firmware router 2 days after i had connection problems, and am still having them :) *Oddly, both programs are working now and seem fine but i'm holding my breath until at least 24hrs goes by without any issues.

webcrawler2050
03-03-2008, 17:36
Lol they are on to you!

bbwannabe
03-03-2008, 17:46
o_O

jcuk
03-03-2008, 19:23
tried pluggin your machine directly into the modem to see if it resolves the problems?

resolves 100% of problems whenever i have internet issues.

as far as i know vm dont monitor and regulate connections on p2p or any other protocol. however they still monitor bandwidth regardless, using stm, which shouldnt affect connection issues.

ceedee
03-03-2008, 22:18
If you're using XP SP2, have you increased the number of half-open TCP connections (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-open_connection) it can use?

TorrentFreak wrote an accessible explanation of the problem (http://torrentfreak.com/speed-up-bitcomet-and-%c2%b5torrent/) over 2 years ago -- the article focuses on bittorrent but the same is applicable for all P2P apps.

More technical info and the downloadable patching routine is available from LviLord.de (http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=4226patch/faq).

hth

bbwannabe
03-03-2008, 22:54
I use XP-Antispy and changed the default no of connections to unlimited, so it can't be that unfortunately. Will give the direct connection (minus router) approach a try next time the net cuts off.

ceedee
03-03-2008, 23:20
I use XP-Antispy and changed the default no of connections to unlimited, so it can't be that unfortunately. Will give the direct connection (minus router) approach a try next time the net cuts off.

XP-AntiSpy seems to recommend that you set the number of permitted half-open connections to 10 -- most P2P-familiar sites recommend 50-100.
AFAIK there is no unlimited setting.

Recommend you read (any of) the articles I took the time to link to, download the patch and check your settings.

bbwannabe
04-03-2008, 00:06
ok unlimited maybe exaggerating it, it's "Current maximum concurrent half-open connections: 16777214", it recommends that I don't change any settings in versions > than 1.7 utorrent (can't find it in settings anywhere tbh). I'll change the half connections from what it is now to 100. But part of me still thinks it isn't the cause of the troubles of the past few days.

Doesn't hurt to give it a go.

ceedee
04-03-2008, 02:32
I doubt this will, on it's own, turn out to be the *cause* of your recent problem -- just another in the list of things to rule out.
:-)

I'm wondering if there's a way to monitor which emule servers you connect to before the speed crashes?
I notice that some folks on the emule forums are reporting "abnormal" cpu loads -- seen anything weird there?

Good luck!

(In uTorrent v1.60, you could change the value of "net.max_halfopen" under the Advanced Options in Preferences. I've still not got around to playing with 1.7!)

webcrawler2050
04-03-2008, 02:40
Still think they are on to you!!! haha

Have you tried uninstalling - reinstalling or installing and trying a different p2p - like bitcomet or something?

Kymmy
04-03-2008, 12:33
It sounds like your overloading your connection/router.
You should only use one peer2peer program at once as too many connections can cause your connection to suddenly drop out

Funny you should mention that...

I had the same situation the other day when I tried to do a mass server ping within a game, got through a couple then totally stopped my connection.

Easy enough to fix in my case as I use a software router until my Business roadband gets installed and I just turned off max connections per user. (only two of us and only I tend to break it ;))

Kymmy

bbwannabe
04-03-2008, 22:59
Still think they are on to you!!! haha

Have you tried uninstalling - reinstalling or installing and trying a different p2p - like bitcomet or something?

Ok, so far with the reduced number of connections i've still gotten 2-3 random drops. I'll return it to what it was and see if it has any worser effects.

arfer
05-03-2008, 20:47
Hi

Having the same problem with losing connection when starting Utorrent,works for a few minutes then disconnects.Works fine with Emule and has only started in the last couple of days.

Can we all be having the same problems at the same time ?

Arfer:dozey:

bbwannabe
05-03-2008, 20:52
Ok i'm beginning to suspect either a router issue or a VM one. The no of connections doesn't really make much difference, i'm having more troubles @ 50 half max connections, than I did at 100. Haven't given the direct connection a good try yet. By that i mean a good amount of time.

xspeedyx
05-03-2008, 20:58
Ok i'm beginning to suspect either a router issue or a VM one. The no of connections doesn't really make much difference, i'm having more troubles @ 50 half max connections, than I did at 100. Haven't given the direct connection a good try yet. By that i mean a good amount of time.

I reckon ur router cnt handle the connections try a direct connect b4 anything else

bbwannabe
05-03-2008, 21:42
Yeah doing so now. I think a decent timeframe is a day, but not sure if the rest of the family can go through net withdrawals for that long }:D

Should the worst happen and i need another router, any recommendations besides a WRT54G and a Draytek 2100vg. The Linksys was a lot worse handling connections which is why i went for the draytek, but if that's throwing fits at me then I'm gonna have to look at another :(

moaningmags
06-03-2008, 03:22
For my ha'penny's worth. I have a Netgear wgr614v7.
5 comps connected to it. 4 wired, 1 wireless.
Hubby lives on World of Warcraft, kids live on you tube, bebo etc.
I regularly download at about 18mb.
The router has never once crashed or did anything weird.

I'm sure others will slate it, but it does the job here.

HTH
Mags

bbwannabe
08-03-2008, 12:49
Ok connected directly since midnight last night due to connection drops, and since then everytime I open emule up, it starts to drop/pick up frequently. So i'm definitely placing this issue on Virgin Media's connection rather than all/some of it on the router.

ceedee
08-03-2008, 16:12
Ok connected directly since midnight last night due to connection drops, and since then everytime I open emule up, it starts to drop/pick up frequently. So i'm definitely placing this issue on Virgin Media's connection rather than all/some of it on the router.
... or a problem on your pc.
And, given that (lots of) other emule users don't seem to be reporting the same problem, I'd guess it's at your end.

I'm wondering if there's a way to monitor which emule servers you connect to before the speed crashes?
I notice that some folks on the emule forums are reporting "abnormal" cpu loads -- seen anything weird there?

Next time it crashes, do a netstat -a to get an idea of the open connections?

pachelbel
08-03-2008, 16:25

I've also been having issues with emule, utorrent and Limewire are fine. Launching emule can send my browsing into dial up speed. It takes ages to connect to all the sources and while it does so browsing is terrible. The only option for me is to use emule during the night. I have found lowering the upload speed improves things a great deal but this issue has only happened in the last couple of weeks.

r00t
08-03-2008, 17:08
Reduce the amount of incoming peers in your p2p program.

pachelbel
08-03-2008, 17:25
Reduce the amount of incoming peers in your p2p program.

Do you mean the number of sources per file, the number of files and what about total number of connections.

Don't forget that I have had no issue with emule ever until now. Could VM be testing some kind of anti p2p software. I may be only on 2Meg but I do use it as much as possible and did fall into the so called 3% (lol ;) a heavy 2Meg user that is causing the nework to collapse). I now no longer download anything between 4-9pm.

What is the point of 10Meg, 20Meg and 50Meg if you do not use p2p.:erm:

bbwannabe
08-03-2008, 22:55
... or a problem on your pc.
And, given that (lots of) other emule users don't seem to be reporting the same problem, I'd guess it's at your end.

Next time it crashes, do a netstat -a to get an idea of the open connections?

Well it might be a pc issue for my computer, but net goes down for everyone else in the network too :D. So unless it's contagious i'm not sure :) i'll try the netstat thing next time - should there be something I need to pay an eye on?.
Later on even utorrent acted up, and after exiting it and using http downloads, everything seems fine bar p2p apps.

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

What is the point of 10Meg, 20Meg and 50Meg if you do not use p2p.:erm:

Oh i don't want to discuss this >_< lol... last time i went on about using p2p fully, i got ganged up against *pops off to find thread... but feels it was an old nthell forum post*

bbwannabe
16-03-2008, 20:25
ok, still having issues with this. Can't work out why it's still happening, if it's an update to the servers, it usually wouldn't be this long. Last time I had a problem with the connection which lasted for months had to do with the signal levels. I've looked at readings and compared them to the ones in the sticky but it appears fine, but I might haved missed something out, so if someone can check i'd appreciate it.

Cable Modem Configuration
Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
MAC address : [removed]
IP address : [removed]
Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.57 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 35.13 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 43.00 dBmv

Downstream Status
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : 256 QAM
Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.47 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 35.19 dB

Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 43.00 dBmv

Operation Configuration
Network Access : Enabled
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 4096000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 400000 bps
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr
Software Upgrade AdminStatus : allowProvisioningUpgrade
Software Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromProvisioning

It's really start to bug me now :(

bbwannabe
24-03-2008, 14:56
If I believe my modem is at fault (I think it's an NTL Ambit 120 with ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr firmware), could I get an engineer to replace it with another different model and see if it helps or would it need to be proven it's the cause of my internet problems?.

Hugh
24-03-2008, 15:23
Probably need a bit more information before anyone could comment.

What is the problem, what error messages are you getting, what is your setup, stuff like that.

bbwannabe
24-03-2008, 15:41
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33629367-net-goes-down-when-starting-one.html < My issues are posted here. So far it's coming onto nearly a month with connection problems.

Problem:
Random cutoffs with connection when a p2p program is in use. By random i mean, I can be using the p2p for a while and it drops, and then connects, or drops and doesn't allow any connections of the net till it's closed or it can drop as soon as I open a p2p up. I can get it briefly working by unplugging and plugging the modem power back in, but there's no guarantee that it'll won't drop shortly after.

Router is not the cause, as it happens even when directly connected via modem.

Setup is a router (wireless (1 user) / wired (3 users) ) connected to the cable modem.
When it doesn't load any pages, the icon in the system tray seems to indicate most of the time it's uploading but no lights for the download.

It could be a virgin media issue but I'm not so sure as more people should have reported it if it were the case, so I think it's an issue mostly on my side.

The p2p I'm using I doubt is at fault and even if it were i don't think it could cause net problems for everyone else on the network. At most the only issue with a p2p i've had on the network is if i don't control the upload and it slows down browsing for everyone, but even then browsing is still possible.

The only time i've not had any issues (tested over a day) is when it's just browsing/emailing and no p2p involved.

I've tested out a lot of different conditions to test the connection on, and I think a new modem might help solve it.

MovedGoalPosts
24-03-2008, 16:11
I've merged the threads since clearly this remains the same problem you haven't resolved.

What make & model is your current router? Some are known not to handle P2P stuff particularly well since they get overwhelmed by tracking the number of connections being maintained. Early Linksys WRT54G series were prone to that. Using third party firmware and making some adjustments to the standard config can solve that.

Realistically, maximum connections of around 60-100 should be more than sufficient. your post #4 seems to show an extraordinary number.

Do you get these problems with a connection direct between the computer and modem - no router?

bbwannabe
24-03-2008, 16:17
Do you get these problems with a connection direct between the computer and modem - no router?

Router is not the cause, as it happens even when directly connected via modem.

Fraid so. Oh and model and make is Draytek vigor 2100. I had a WRT54G Linksys, but it got bogged down with connections and required a reset too often, so made a switch to Draytek and i've not had the same issue.

The p2p I'm using I doubt is at fault and even if it were i don't think it could cause net problems for everyone else on the network. At most the only issue with a p2p i've had on the network is if i don't control the upload and it slows down browsing for everyone, but even then browsing is still possible.

Currently trying out utorrent on another computer, too see if it makes any difference. I'll report my findings later on.