PDA

View Full Version : Are Virgin investing in new cable?

frogstamper
03-03-2008, 03:12
Can anybody tell me if Virgin have any plans to lay any new cable. Because what with over subscription in certain areas it seems like a good idea, in the Brighton area no new cable has been laid since the days of "NYNEX" which is getting on for 20 years now, I know its expensive but what is that old saying "you've got to speculate to accumulate":cool:

Mick Fisher
03-03-2008, 03:34
Are you talking about fibre or co-ax?

frogstamper
03-03-2008, 03:44
Are you talking about fibre or co-ax?

Yeah sorry Mick on reflection I was a bit vague I should have said Fibre:o:

Mick Fisher
03-03-2008, 03:55
In that case:
To expand the area served, I believe the answer is a resounding No.
To relieve congestion, I believe investment in new hardware to more efficiently use the existing fibre is what is required and if we are believe what VM are saying :rolleyes:, this is in fact happening right now.

WHISTLED
03-03-2008, 08:57
I know its expensive but what is that old saying "you've got to speculate to accumulate" Well in the case of new network build its all speculation and little accumulation! It costs so much that the costs can not be made up within any reasonable time. The early companies gambled on a telecoms boom and the fact that many would be bought out as other companies looked to increase their market share.

VM are still 'paying off' the Nynex build effectively - The only way to make more money is to increase take up from existing props