PDA

View Full Version : 20mb slow. reboot modem daily and little change

welshbhoy
03-03-2008, 00:45
Getting really fed up with my supposed 20mb BB service. It keeps dropping out, no particular time of day. I've not had what I would consider value for money for a while now and when I run the speed tests it makes no difference of the time of day or which server I use, it's always consistently poor.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/03/74.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

My best for some time was 9417 down and 709 up on the 20th February.

I'm in NP19 area, and I am only one of two people in the street with Virgin as the supplier as far as I know.

I have run TCP optimizer using the info provided on the speedguide forum to adjust the settings several times but it makes not a bit of difference.

I am running Windows XP SP2 using an NTL250 modem routed through a Netgear WPN824 router connected via ethernet to my PC, whilst I have my daughters laptop connected wirelessly which is'nt connected when i run the speed tests so does not contribute to the slow down.

The firmware on the router is up to date.

No offence to anyone but ringing Tech Support is sooo frustrating. Twice I have had the need to ring them only for them to tell me it is something wrong with my router, PC anything but to admit there is a problem with the provider.

Any thoughts or suggestions on regaining my speed I'd appreciate.

Joxer
03-03-2008, 00:51
TRy downloading something (preferably 4 or 5 concurrently) from gamefiles.virginmedia.co.uk or mirrors.virginmedia.com/ and see what the total transfer rate is, that will give you a better idea/more ammunition I can download at 19mbps but speedtest.net shows between 4 and 8 - I don't thinks it's so accurate actually.

eddcase
03-03-2008, 00:56
Try connecting straight to your pc i.e. not through your router. It's a simple start in checking out the tech's view.

welshbhoy
03-03-2008, 01:33
TRy downloading something (preferably 4 or 5 concurrently) from gamefiles.virginmedia.co.uk or mirrors.virginmedia.com/ and see what the total transfer rate is, that will give you a better idea/more ammunition I can download at 19mbps but speedtest.net shows between 4 and 8 - I don't thinks it's so accurate actually.

tried this,

//gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/b5ifh/

It's showing as downloading at around 585Kb/sec

I then downloaded three together and the first is 147kb/sec

the second 229kb/sec

the third 169kb/sec

Try connecting straight to your pc i.e. not through your router. It's a simple start in checking out the tech's view.

Tried that too but there's no difference to be honest.

Joxer
03-03-2008, 01:44
You have some issue, try tech support on the phone or the newsgroups. UK tech support hours are 08:00-22:00 AFAIK so if you call know you'll get overseas.

welshbhoy
03-03-2008, 02:15

I'll try this again tomorrow and see if there is any difference in going direct from the modem to my PC. There was'nt when I done this a few days ago, If there is a difference in speed do you have any suggestions on how to resolve it? I know the routers firmware is up to date the configuration is correct.

I just read the openDNS post and have just followed the guide there so I'll see if it makes a difference to my internet performance.

You have some issue, try tech support on the phone or the newsgroups. UK tech support hours are 08:00-22:00 AFAIK so if you call know you'll get overseas.

Thanks for replying and for the advice. I'll let you know how I get on.

---------- Post added at 01:15 ---------- Previous post was at 00:56 ----------

A quick update. I have just done this

I followed the OpenDNS tutorial and changed the DNS settings on my router.

Was about to shut down for the night and thought I would check again on the download from //gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/b5ifh/ and now I'm getting between 1300kb/sec and 1475kb/sec. Compared to a short while ago that's a great improvement.

Is that OpenDNS making the change?

frogstamper
03-03-2008, 02:23
I'm not a techie but my brother-in-law had a similar problem when he recently upgraded to 20mb from 4mb at the time he had an NTL210 or 220 modem and he was told by a friend that to get a decent speed he would need the ambit 255 modem. Anyway after badgering Virgin they sent him one and surprise surprise his connection rarely drops below 17mb, I hope this helps.

welshbhoy
03-03-2008, 09:42
I'm not a techie but my brother-in-law had a similar problem when he recently upgraded to 20mb from 4mb at the time he had an NTL210 or 220 modem and he was told by a friend that to get a decent speed he would need the ambit 255 modem. Anyway after badgering Virgin they sent him one and surprise surprise his connection rarely drops below 17mb, I hope this helps.

Did they send it to him for him to replace or did they send an engineer to do it?

I ask because I had the old teryon modem for ages and when I upgraded my speed I had problems and asked about a new modem and they told me only an engineer could come and change it.

Thanks for the info. But so far so good, my connection is steady. If I have any more dropouts i will get on to Virgin and request a new modem.

chickendippers
03-03-2008, 11:07
They should just post a new modem to you.

frogstamper
06-03-2008, 04:32
Sorry its taken a couple of days welshboy, but as the guy says above they will either send you one or send an engineer to fit it for £30.

Dai
06-03-2008, 10:53
Is that OpenDNS making the change?

Most unlikely I'd say. The DNS server is only used for a brief lookup to convert a www name to a numeric IP. After that it's out of the loop.

JenJen
06-03-2008, 20:28
Terajon modems dont support 20mg bb. Call VM tech support, they'll send you a new modem free of charge.

SnoopZ
06-03-2008, 21:19

The 250 modem is the same as the 255 but without the USB port.

frogstamper
06-03-2008, 21:24
Thanks for that SnoopZ, but my brother-in-law didnt have the 250 he had either the 210 or the 220.

frogstamper
07-03-2008, 02:03
Thanks for that SnoopZ, but my brother-in-law didnt have the 250 he had either the 210 or the 220.

Actually I made a mistake there it wasn't the 210 or 220 it was the Ambit 100 or the 120. Blimey all these numbers are making my head spin, sorry for any confusion:o:

JenJen
08-03-2008, 11:37
ntlhome 100 and ntlhome 120 dont support 20mg either.

dragon
08-03-2008, 12:11

It's not Frequently tries to tell me I have either 45 or 80Mbit/s downstream and unless my ISP has magically implemented a way to Boosts the speeds of ADSL2+ to over 3x the Theoritcal Maxmium and not told anyone I think its safe to say its rather wrong.