PDA

View Full Version : Cloned modems re-visited

iglu
01-03-2008, 15:21
Sniffing is as rampant as ever, new programs are out there, sniffing VM servers outside your UBR area. The sniffers are even eager not to overload the VM servers :rolleyes: Look at the relevant forums to see what I mean.

Here in Guildford, next to the Uni, guys pass every other week, knock at the door, with a Tesco "bug for life" full of modded modems & splitters, 10 quid for the first one, 5 the second, 2 quid for each splitter, free set up... And the service is guaranteed as they are well known and trusted locally, they are the same ones that sell weed too ;), they flush xboxes too ;)

You can look through the windows of the flats, students have stacks of 4-5 modems each... In one particular road, on your way to the Uni, MOST OF THE the wiring is external on the wall (!!!), splitters are external sharing cables between apartments. Each apartment used to have it's own feed but due vandalism :rolleyes: some of the NTL feeds have been pulled from the road.

I have never seen more blatant stealing going on. And yes, my UBR is overloaded... when I spoke to VM they said, students download a lot.....

Toto
01-03-2008, 15:22
Guess this makes a change from the Phorm discussion.......

stepp
01-03-2008, 16:48
Yawn, stop wineing and whinging if you dont like the service you have either go the same route and buy a cloned modem ( which it sounds like you really want to ) OR change ISP.

Just stop these whingeing posts for gods sake.

rizzla
01-03-2008, 18:03
report all u know to the police
its theft, no ifs, buts, excuses/justification.

zing_deleted
01-03-2008, 19:28
Just buy a 20 bag of weed off em next time they come round then you wont care anymore for the weekend lol

Callumpy
01-03-2008, 19:53
Just buy a 20 bag of weed off em next time they come round then you wont care anymore for the weekend lol

:shocked:

joglynne
01-03-2008, 23:13
Callumpy. Don't you dare follow the advise of that bad Zing. :bsmack: :D

eth01
01-03-2008, 23:56

LOL. :p:

xpod
02-03-2008, 00:02
Callumpy. Don't you dare follow the advise of that bad Zing.

I think the young mans just more shocked that he could have got two for the price of one:dozey:

street
02-03-2008, 00:16
what exactly is this sniffing? whats going on? what are moded modems? can u eplain in plain english pls thx.

homealone
02-03-2008, 00:29
what exactly is this sniffing? whats going on? what are moded modems? can u eplain in plain english pls thx.

Ironic that you ask for a 'plain english' explanation, but use txt spk :erm:

As I understand it a 'cloned' modem is effectively identity theft, in that someone else pretends to be you & uses your download allowance ???

- how that might be done is not for discussion in this forum, though :angel:

Stuart
02-03-2008, 00:35

Modded modems allow people to use more network bandwidth than they pay for. Essentially, they are a tool to commit theft.

Beyond that, you don't need to know anymore, and we will not allow discussion.

iglu
02-03-2008, 04:12

:rofl:

Absolutely right, one or two spliffs improve everything....

On this and other threads, several asked me to report the modded modems but nobody asked me to report the weed dealing....;)

eth01
02-03-2008, 09:24
Modded modems allow people to use more network bandwidth than they pay for. Essentially, they are a tool to commit theft.

Beyond that, you don't need to know anymore, and we will not allow discussion.

Errr.. Access to the network illegally, on a more generalized note.

xpod
02-03-2008, 10:05
On this and other threads, several asked me to report the modded modems but nobody asked me to report the weed dealing....

You`d probably get to keep your legs for the dodgy modem reporting.......
Not so sure about the latter though:erm:

;)

UncleBooBoo
02-03-2008, 10:09
On this and other threads, several asked me to report the modded modems but nobody asked me to report the weed dealing....;)

That's because the general rule of thumb here is that it's ok to steal form anyone but VM! ;)

All those people who say report it to VM are prob the ones downloading content they shouldn't be!

Hense all the advice given about illegally downloading programs when sky one was taken of the cable platform. ;)

xpod
02-03-2008, 10:19
That's because the general rule of thumb here is that it's ok to steal form anyone but VM! ;)

All those people who say report it to VM are prob the ones downloading content they shouldn't be!

Hense all the advice given about illegally downloading programs when sky one was taken of the cable platform. ;)

I`ve always found that one rather strange myself.:confused:
After all,stealing bandwidth from VM just dont compare to stealing copyrighted material from anywhere else right?:erm:

OT...Your not my uncle booboo from back home are you?:D

chickendippers
02-03-2008, 10:34
You might get a better response if you report this on the newsgroup