PDA

View Full Version : Just signed up for 2MB VM-BB.

D_TOX
26-02-2008, 21:45
Hello all,

Seems people here are pretty helpful and friendly, so i thought i'd throw some of my queries out there about VM-BB.

First of all, im just a part-time working college student so went for the cheapest option from VM which was the 2MB BB, just broadband, no bundles. In my house we already have Sky up-to 8MB ADSL broadband but its been so crap the last 6 months, d/cing here and there, VERY dodgy 65Kb/s speeds so i have had enough and decided to just get my own separate broadband for my bedroom. But thats neither here nor there.

Anywho we used to have NTL nearly a year ago and when we got Sky they tore out the old NTL cable (yet half of it is still stickin to the house). I've arranged for a technician to come fit my new broadband and told them about the situation. Now i'm assuming they are going to connect up another piece of wire to the old NTL cable left-over? If that is so, then how will i be receiving the 'super duper fast fibre optic' broadband?

Also, what is this 'fibre optic broadband'? Is it just a gimmick? Does it actually provide better results than average DSL? On the 2MB connection, what is the average download speed you get with that? I spoke to the guy on the phone, naturally he told me 'as close to 2MB as you can get' which is obviously far from the truth (no offense Mr.Niceman).

Appreciate the replies, VM has actually been very helpful so far and i'm pleased with their customer relations.

Tech_Boy
26-02-2008, 21:59
1st off, the Sky installer should not have touched the old NTL wires.:mad:

The fibre optic cables run to the large green cabinets, from there to the house and the modem, the cable is coaxial (better than satellite quality aerial cable).

Unlike ADSL which relies on twisted pair cable and your proximity to the exchange, with Virgins Network the green boxes are never that far away, so speeds are pretty reliable (I get full connection speed 24/7).

Hope that helps.

xspeedyx
26-02-2008, 22:09
VM speeds are better as they use fibre however you should be aware they do operate a stm policy so if you download during peak hrs beware you could have your speed stm'd

D_TOX
26-02-2008, 22:33
1st off, the Sky installer should not have touched the old NTL wires.:mad:

The fibre optic cables run to the large green cabinets, from there to the house and the modem, the cable is coaxial (better than satellite quality aerial cable).

Unlike ADSL which relies on twisted pair cable and your proximity to the exchange, with Virgins Network the green boxes are never that far away, so speeds are pretty reliable (I get full connection speed 24/7).

Hope that helps.

Thanks Tech_Boy, that is indeed helpful and reassuring.

VM speeds are better as they use fibre however you should be aware they do operate a stm policy so if you download during peak hrs beware you could have your speed stm'd

Hey darth,

Thanks mate but what is an 'stm' policy and does this apply to ALL VM users then? I'm assuming its some sorta cap? If it is, what/who determines whether you receive this cap? Just downloading during the evenings/peak hours?

When this technician arrives, is he going to use the old NTL cable stuck to the house or just run a whole new one up?

bomb #21
26-02-2008, 23:34
... what is an 'stm' policy and does this apply to ALL VM users then? I'm assuming its some sorta cap? If it is, what/who determines whether you receive this cap? Just downloading during the evenings/peak hours? ...

Link (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html) for info. On Size M, 300MB's your limit (between 1600 & 2100). It's easy to fall foul of, the penalty is download speed reduced to 1Mb for 5 hours from the time you hit the limit (be that 1601 or 2059 ;) )

jcuk
27-02-2008, 00:43
Hello all,

Seems people here are pretty helpful and friendly, so i thought i'd throw some of my queries out there about VM-BB.

First of all, im just a part-time working college student so went for the cheapest option from VM which was the 2MB BB, just broadband, no bundles. In my house we already have Sky up-to 8MB ADSL broadband but its been so crap the last 6 months, d/cing here and there, VERY dodgy 65Kb/s speeds so i have had enough and decided to just get my own separate broadband for my bedroom. But thats neither here nor there.

Anywho we used to have NTL nearly a year ago and when we got Sky they tore out the old NTL cable (yet half of it is still stickin to the house). I've arranged for a technician to come fit my new broadband and told them about the situation. Now i'm assuming they are going to connect up another piece of wire to the old NTL cable left-over? If that is so, then how will i be receiving the 'super duper fast fibre optic' broadband?

Also, what is this 'fibre optic broadband'? Is it just a gimmick? Does it actually provide better results than average DSL? On the 2MB connection, what is the average download speed you get with that? I spoke to the guy on the phone, naturally he told me 'as close to 2MB as you can get' which is obviously far from the truth (no offense Mr.Niceman).

Appreciate the replies, VM has actually been very helpful so far and i'm pleased with their customer relations.

'Fibre Optic Broadband' is where glass cables are laid down below streets and pathways to form a network throughout the uk. As said, this glass cable runs to the cabinet and from there is a copper cable.

BT Use copper cables throughout most areas and fibre as a backbone (not too sure how bt's network is so dont quote me)

Because its copper cables all the way from the exchange with BT (adsl broadband) its distance that regulates the speed you will achieve.

However with glass cables its light that travels through them, so to put it simply light travels a LOT faster through its glass cable than what electrical does through copper.

Copper cable is fine for short distances, which is why the copper cable comes from the box at the end of the street.

The Combination of Copper and Fibre cables brings the name 'HFC Network' Which stands for Hybrid Fibre Coaxial.

For more info check out HFC and Fibre networks through search engines and/or wiki

You may find a few simple explinations @ http://www.fibrecities.eu NB This site is nothing to do with virgin media, its just for reference.

In answer to your question, yes it SHOULD theoretically and most of the time does provide far better connection speeds and a more reliable connection, however you will see from posts on the board, theres a good few who dont get speeds advertised for one reason or another ;)

J x

D_TOX
27-02-2008, 16:11
Thanks a lot JC, very informative.

progers
01-03-2008, 00:05
Assuming you don't hog the bandwidth as previously mentioned, you can expect a solid, near as dammit to 2 Meg connection, all the time.

D_TOX
01-03-2008, 01:44
Assuming you don't hog the bandwidth as previously mentioned, you can expect a solid, near as dammit to 2 Meg connection, all the time.

And what sort of download speeds should i expect?

boroboi
01-03-2008, 04:45
Around 250 kb/s downstream

Hybrid Alien
01-03-2008, 08:57
I thought for the price i payed for the M service i might as well get the L service and it be faster, cause the M service sucked

D_TOX
02-03-2008, 01:46
Okay guys so the technician came round today and fixed it all up so here i am, on my 2MB VM Broadband. Oh, and i'd just like to say that the Technician who came to my house today was probably one of the most rudest, miserable ill-looking *******s i have ever met in my life. I felt uncomfortable talking to him and generally having him in my home! You know who you are! Sorry i had to get that off my chest.

As for the Broadband, well. I am a subscriber to Fileplanet.com which allows me to get the fullest speeds out of my internet! So at the moment, im getting consistent speeds of at least 230-250KB/s which is good!

However... It seems to struggle loading general web-pages, especially ones with multiple images. I'm sure this isn't right, on 2MB 'super-duper fibre optic' broadband? Anyone got any tips/workarounds? Or is this generally how it should be? I'd really appreciate some further insight/help!

Thanks all.

frogstamper
03-03-2008, 01:43
As a fairly new convert to cable broadband Im not overly techie, but it seems to me from what Ive been told you stand a greater chance of getting your payed for speed with a more up to date modem. I have the 4mb package with a ambit 255 modem and always get 3.9mb, my brother in law had an older ambit the 210 I think and hardly got near 4mb after getting it replaced with the 255 he to now gets as near 4mb as damm it. Being a new customer you will also get the ambit 255 so enjoy!

D_TOX
03-03-2008, 11:47
As a fairly new convert to cable broadband Im not overly techie, but it seems to me from what Ive been told you stand a greater chance of getting your payed for speed with a more up to date modem. I have the 4mb package with a ambit 255 modem and always get 3.9mb, my brother in law had an older ambit the 210 I think and hardly got near 4mb after getting it replaced with the 255 he to now gets as near 4mb as damm it. Being a new customer you will also get the ambit 255 so enjoy!

Thanks Frogstamper!

Well after giving it more of a chance, it all seems well. Once the initial websites are cached, browsing is a lot faster and downloading has been a breeze. So far, im pleased.

boroboi
12-03-2008, 09:08
You'll also find that a lot of webpages are signed upto, how shall i say, stat trackers such as google-analytics, and various other ad-servers which can also pause the loading of pages.