PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router speeds?

EvilRoySlade
26-02-2008, 17:04
How much does yours affect your speed? Mine drops from 19Mb ethernet speed test to around 8 or 9Mb on wireless. I'm not complaining, that's just the trade off I guess. Just curious as to whether anyone else experiences a 50% drop or so. And if not have I perhaps missed a setting which could be causing such a drop? Thought I'd throw it out there y'know? Always cool to see how others in the world are getting on.

Cheers friends.

gc10360
26-02-2008, 17:13
You really need to have a wireless N connection to get the best out of your 20meg connection, i had a wireless G router before and only got around 8meg out of a 20meg connection. Since updating my router i'm getting full speed downloads. (make sure your computer is wireless N compatible or has a compatible adapter though)

look at this (wireless connection at 17:09 today)

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/00304232.png (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk)

EvilRoySlade
26-02-2008, 17:19
Hey gc, I'm not getting anything like those speeds. Like you say though, I'm on a Wireless G router. I checked the properties of my wireless card there was only B and G options so it looks like a double upgrade could be coming. If I can afford it that is. Something tells me these N routers are gonna be expensive! Cheers brother.

gc10360
26-02-2008, 17:27
its worth it though. i got the netgear rangemax next cable router WNR834B it was £99. my laptop is wireless n capable already but if you buy an adapter make sure you get the pci card and not the USB (they're unreliable) i think they could be about £29.
though even though this has a max of 270mbps i'm only using the neighbour friendly 130mbps setting. something to do with 270 setting needing 5ghz frequencies. don't know how this will affext 50meg broadband when it arrives.

look on misco they generally have some good deals.

anyway glad to have helped and good luck.

EvilRoySlade
26-02-2008, 17:33
Thanks again matey, good to know that info. Later bud.