PDA

View Full Version : Where did my Internet go?

newband
25-02-2008, 11:36
:mad:

Last night I turned off the PC around 9.30 pm. This morning I have no internet. Just a little perturbed as it was asking me to re register my PC as it was an unknown PC. OK I thought, not a problem, entered my numbers from the very old piece of paper and the password. It did not recognise them. I checked the router, I checked the set top box. My IP address is now a 10.
Last night I was a 82.

I have left my husband calling VM, as yet he cannot get through to Broadband support.... Funny that! The neighbour is ok though.

I have taken the router out of the link and plugged the cable straight into the PC and rebooted the lot. It is still a 10. On the VM website, it says that a 10. is a private IP address not know by the VM servers. See extract from site

"IP address Explanation
80.x.x.x A public IP address that will be assigned to a computer.
Virgin Media IP addresses (the ones that you need) start with 62, 80, 81, 82 or 213 and should help you connect.
172.x.x.x A private IP address that has been assigned to a cable modem
10.x.x.x A private IP address assigned to the ntl Set Top Box This indicates that your computer failed to contact the correct DHCP server on the network.
169.x.x.x You will not be able to use the Internet or email with this IP. Troubleshooting is required. "

We have the samsung set top box, the router is a Linksys drt54GS, I am running XP Pro.

If we do not get it running again, we will have very sad children, PSN not available.
So I am now at a loss as to what to do.
Just wondered if anyone else had this recently?

Kymmy
25-02-2008, 12:07
Have you done the usual..

Confirm that all the cables are in the right sockets and secure.

Power off PC and STB for a minute

Restart STB and then wait a minute

Restart PC

(If using a router then power on sequence should be STB, Router and then PC but always check first that the PC is getting an automatic address and just try direct from stb to pc)

Kymmy

newband
25-02-2008, 13:07
Unfortunately, yes we have. My husband managed to get through to the TV support customer service desk and they have run a reset for us on the stb, he then turned it all off and started again. The PC is still attached to the stb.

And its still not working. Anyway, husband now has to go to work. So It will have to wait for me to get home.

Hope no one else suffers this way.

And he has tried for 3 hours to get through to Broadband support, its still cutting him off with no message.....:mad:

Its just RUDE! at least they could admit to being busy! then we would not get so angry:bigcry:

moaningmags
25-02-2008, 14:32
"its still cutting him off with no message.....

Its just RUDE! at least they could admit to being busy! then we would not get so angry"

Sure, if you want to be charged 10p connection charge and 25p to hear "sorry we're experiencing high call volumes please call later"

It's a premium rate number, messages are NOT allowed.

MovedGoalPosts
25-02-2008, 15:34
Set Top Box Internet Connections can be prone to this sort of behaviour. It drove me mad for a few weeks with frequent disconnects and apparent non registrations before I upgraded to modem. If you have the 4 meg service it's worht getting an upgrade so you can benefit from the 10 meg rollout.

Is the broadband LED lit and steady on the Samsung front screen? If not you will definitely have problems and that indicates a network connectivity / signal fault with Virgin Media.

If it is lit, make sure you power every thing off, power on STB let settle, then router let settle, then PC. If it doesn't recognse the connection then go through the provisioning process - I think the password recently changed to 1234.

newband
25-02-2008, 16:28
Mags, did not realise that they could not leave you on a message on a 090

And Rob it has been working successfully for as long as we have had the stb, just all of a sudden its become a bit strange.

And they assure us that the 10MB will come through the stb just fine.....
apparently! Or its supposed to take upto 10MB.

We are having an engineer to it tomorrow due to another problem, but this was due to the TV service, not the BB. Looks like woe is us, :D

wish us luck with our engineer.

MovedGoalPosts
25-02-2008, 17:06
As far as I know there are no STBs that will do the 10 meg speeds properly. I think they max out at around 5-6 meg speeds which is why on the old 10 meg top tier (now 20 meg) people always had to have modems installed.

As your broadband is via the STB there is every chance that if you are having TV issues, that may be indicative of broadbadn issues too. Why your bb should suddenly misbehave is one of the wonders of technology. All I know is I went through a similar phase of it when mine too had been stable for a long while beforehand.

newband
25-02-2008, 17:28
thanks for that Rob! Lets hope the engineer diagnoses something terminal and we end up with a new stb and a cable modem!

Thanks everyone!;)

Jules
25-02-2008, 18:48
My friend had the same problem a couple of weeks ago it was her box on its way out, engineer put in a new box and a modem.

piggy
25-02-2008, 21:43
:mad:

Last night I turned off the PC around 9.30 pm. This morning I have no internet. Just a little perturbed as it was asking me to re register my PC as it was an unknown PC. OK I thought, not a problem, entered my numbers from the very old piece of paper and the password. It did not recognise them. I checked the router, I checked the set top box. My IP address is now a 10.
Last night I was a 82.

I have left my husband calling VM, as yet he cannot get through to Broadband support.... Funny that! The neighbour is ok though.

I have taken the router out of the link and plugged the cable straight into the PC and rebooted the lot. It is still a 10. On the VM website, it says that a 10. is a private IP address not know by the VM servers. See extract from site

"IP address Explanation
80.x.x.x A public IP address that will be assigned to a computer.
Virgin Media IP addresses (the ones that you need) start with 62, 80, 81, 82 or 213 and should help you connect.
172.x.x.x A private IP address that has been assigned to a cable modem
10.x.x.x A private IP address assigned to the ntl Set Top Box This indicates that your computer failed to contact the correct DHCP server on the network.
169.x.x.x You will not be able to use the Internet or email with this IP. Troubleshooting is required. "

We have the samsung set top box, the router is a Linksys drt54GS, I am running XP Pro.

If we do not get it running again, we will have very sad children, PSN not available.
So I am now at a loss as to what to do.
Just wondered if anyone else had this recently?

your pid number should be 10 digits long and begin with 00 your password will have been reset to 1234 the 10 ip just means the stb needs to be re-registered.

newband
29-02-2008, 13:23
Thanks for all your help guys.

I now have my internet back. However, I still cannot get a phone call to BB support. It is a little worrying that if and when I get my upgrade to 10MB (HG1 area) I may need a cable modem, I should ring BB support apparently for this. We may get the upgrade in the summer so I guess that I have 4 months or so to get through to them!:D

Maybes I am just unlucky!

Noggo
29-02-2008, 16:16
May be your internet had a short 4 day break in the sun. :cool:

Kymmy
29-02-2008, 16:26
Also if you go to this PAGE (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service.html) you can select your modem/STB and it'll tell you if you need a new one and how to prder it. As the upgrades are being done in certain areas (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html)as I type you should really do it now.

Kymmy