PDA

View Full Version : Emails with Attachments and Fetchmail

pad
24-02-2008, 13:41
In the last few days I have become aware recently that some of my emails which have attachments were never getting through to me.

Now you have to understand that I have a slightly complicated system!! Perhaps I should says that if you don't understand the next paragraph, perhaps this is time to browse another thread please :-) And no, I don't want to move to Microsoft Exchange ...

What I have got is a Linux server running FC4. This uses Fetchmail to retrieve the POP3 messages from my NTLWorld (and other) email accounts. These are stored by Qmail. This can be accessed by various IMAP web clients such as Outlook or SquirrelMail.

All has been working fine for a couple of years with no maintenance (even my server has managed an up time of over 1 year without a reboot)

As I stated at the top, it now appears some emails are never getting through. I knew this by people asking why I hadn't responded. By some analysis I tracked it down to the email having an attachment and coming through an NtlWorld account. Not all emails with attachments had the problem!

Investigating further shows the Fetchmail log contains the line:
Fetchmail: incorrect header line while scanning headers

One reason for not getting through was that after identifying the header fault and hence not downloading the emails, they are automatically deleted as if they had been read successfully.

Does anyone have any ideas whether NTL (VM) have changed anything or if I can modify Fetchmail to permit the download of these emails?

Thanks

MovedGoalPosts
24-02-2008, 13:56
Has anything become enabled in fetchmail that blocks the mails with attachments, or perhaps it's a antivirus / antispam thing. I know that in Exchange certain attachments can be blocked/refused so fetchmail may have similar settings?

Graham M
24-02-2008, 14:56
I have exactly the same setup here (only Fedora 7) and have had no issues with attachments to date (crosses fingers)

pad
24-02-2008, 15:04
The problem is something to do with NTL. Sending a single email to two of my email accounts, one an NTLWorld the other not, but both retrieved using the same .fetchmail.rc gets only the one email through.