PDA

View Full Version : torrent/ip help

PermissionToRock
23-02-2008, 16:12
Hey, i was wondering if anyone can help me, i have been kicked off of a torrent site, midnight torrents, i got 5 hit warnings, the thing is though, although my computer was off for over 12 hours giving me my first hit warning, i continued to carry on seeding until the 36 hours where over, and they said that the warning would automatically go, but it never. i was just wondering if there was a way to renew my ip address so i could gain access to the site again with them non the wiser. At the moment i cant evan access the site. I know i shouldnt be asking this as its my mistake but i really love that site, any help would be grateful

nicke261192
23-02-2008, 16:23
I dont think your supposed to talk about torrents on this site

kpanchev
23-02-2008, 16:34
I dont think your supposed to talk about torrents on this site
And why not? There is nothing wrong or illegal or dirty with torrents, and it is only people (like you probably) that use torrents for illegal purposes, that bring the bad name for them!!! So stop moaning and start doing your homework!

As for changing your IP address, you may just switch off your modem and pc for more than 4 hours, or change the mac address of your network card, if it has this option and then restart your modem and pc.

PermissionToRock
23-02-2008, 16:39
Much appreciated, will switch it all off tonight. will let you know how i get on tomorrow. Last time i got banned from a site i just plugged the ethernet cable into another computer which automatically changed the ip address and i got back onto the site again, but no luck this time (not the same site by the way, this was a gaming site)

MovedGoalPosts
23-02-2008, 16:50
Nothing wrong with discussion of torrents on here, provided it's kept about legal stuff.

It depends on the site as to how and why you've been blocked. A change of your IP may work, but often not. Private sites in particular work quite hard at spotting people who break their rules.

Toto
23-02-2008, 17:04
And why not? There is nothing wrong or illegal or dirty with torrents, and it is only people (like you probably) that use torrents for illegal purposes, that bring the bad name for them!!! So stop moaning and start doing your homework!

As for changing your IP address, you may just switch off your modem and pc for more than 4 hours, or change the mac address of your network card, if it has this option and then restart your modem and pc.

I don't think he was moaning at all, and he may well take exception to your "doing your homework" comment. I think its YOU that needs to calm down

---------- Post added at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Much appreciated, will switch it all off tonight. will let you know how i get on tomorrow. Last time i got banned from a site i just plugged the ethernet cable into another computer which automatically changed the ip address and i got back onto the site again, but no luck this time (not the same site by the way, this was a gaming site)

The gaming site may have done a low level CIDR ban, possibly blocking that last octet range, its fairly common sadly.

techyguy4
23-02-2008, 17:15
hi,
if you are using a router then make a direct connection. It will change the IP address. Otherwise changeover from ethernet to usb or vice versa and you will get a new IP. best of luck.

PermissionToRock
23-02-2008, 17:37
much appreciated, will give that a go

TehTech
23-02-2008, 18:18
Hey, i was wondering if anyone can help me, i have been kicked off of a torrent site, midnight torrents, i got 5 hit warnings, the thing is though, although my computer was off for over 12 hours giving me my first hit warning, i continued to carry on seeding until the 36 hours where over, and they said that the warning would automatically go, but it never. i was just wondering if there was a way to renew my ip address so i could gain access to the site again with them non the wiser. At the moment i cant evan access the site. I know i shouldnt be asking this as its my mistake but i really love that site, any help would be grateful

You must fact the fact that they (the torrent site) might have IP banned you, it shouldnt be too hard to get a new IP address though!

TIP: just dont re-sign up as something they could recognise you for, Ive skipped being banned from private trackers that way! ;)

SOSAGES
23-02-2008, 20:28
proper trackers dont do sign ups!

PermissionToRock
23-02-2008, 21:58
i tryed doing the ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew on command prompt with no luck, i will turn my computer and modem of 2nyt, if that doesnt work i will connect my modem to my main computer and c if that works and will let you huys know what happens tomorrow. Thanks for all your help

MovedGoalPosts
23-02-2008, 23:01
Since IP's are usually leased to you it can take 24 if not 48 hours of power off of the modem, before a new IP would be issued, and even then you might get your old one back. A change of the connected device is usually the best option, but even then it depends on how many other IPs in your area are in use.

PermissionToRock
24-02-2008, 10:19
Well i switched all off last night with no luck, i will try ang plug it into my laptop again to see if that works, it really sucks, i love that site

Sirius
24-02-2008, 10:28

Switching of your modem for 4 hours will do nothing what so ever, However changing the macc address on the device connected to the modem will. IE in the section of your router that says clone mac put in a mac address that has not been used on you system before in the format of 00:00:00:00:00:00 ie 02:03:01:11:22:33 would work for instance

If you have no router then you would need to change the mac address of the Ethernet card connected to the modem. There are programs out there that will allow you to set a new mac address in a Ethernet card just do a search in Google.

If you are going to have a dig at people at least give out the correct information or you make yourself look a <edit Rob: deleted> .

How do I change my MAC address?

Although physical MAC (Media Access Control) addresses are permanent by design, several mechanisms allow modification, or "spoofing", of the MAC address that is reported by the operating system. This can be useful for privacy reasons, for instance when connecting to a Wi-Fi hotspot, or to ensure interoperability. Some internet service providers bind their service to a specific MAC address; if the user then changes their network card or intends to install a router, the service won't work anymore. Changing the MAC address of the new interface will solve the problem. Similarly, some software licenses are bound to a specific MAC address. Changing the MAC address in this way is not permanent: after a reboot, it will revert to the MAC address physically stored in the card. A MAC address is 48 bits in length.

As a MAC address can be changed, it can be unwise to rely on this as a single method of authentication. IEEE 802.1x is an emerging standard better suited to authenticating devices at a low level.

Mac OS X

Under Mac OS X, the MAC address can be altered in a fashion similar to the Linux and FreeBSD methods:

sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:01:02:03:04:05

or

sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00:01:02:03:04:05

This must be done as the superuser and only works for the computer's ethernet card. Instructions on spoofing AirPort Extreme (2.0) cards are available here. There are not, as of yet, any known ways to spoof original AirPort (1.0) cards.

The AirPort Extreme MAC address can also be changed easily with SpoofMac.

Windows

Under Windows XP, the MAC address can be changed in the Ethernet adapter's Properties menu, in the Advanced tab, as "MAC Address", "Locally Administered Address", "Ethernet Address" or "Network Address". The exact name depends on the Ethernet driver used; not all drivers support changing the MAC address in this way.

However, a better solution - requiring Administrative User Rights - is to pass over the System Registry Keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Here settings for each network interface can be found. The contents of the string value called 'NetworkAddress' will be used to set the MAC address of the adapter when next it is enabled. Resetting the adapter can be accomplished in script with the freely available command line utility devcon from Microsoft, or from the adapters context menu in the Network Connections control panel applet.

There is a nice tool to change the MAC address for all cards (even those that can't be changed through the adapter's Properties menu): SMAC MAC Address Changer

Note: to check your MAC address easily on a Windows XP box, go to Run, type CMD, then type "ipconfig /all" without quotation in the command prompt. The number under physical address is the MAC address. If multiple IP are displayed, you should look under the label "Ethernet adapter x", where x is the name of your connection (which is Local Area Connection by default).

Router

The method to change the MAC address of a router varies with the router. Not all routers have the ability to change their MAC address. The feature is often referred to as "clone MAC address". This take the MAC address of one of the machine on your network and replaces the router's existing MAC address with it. Some support the option to manually enter the MAC address.

Ensure that after changing you mac address you reboot you modem so it can pickup the new mac address

Toto
24-02-2008, 11:16
Well i switched all off last night with no luck, i will try ang plug it into my laptop again to see if that works, it really sucks, i love that site

If your IP address does change, and you are still blocked, then please refer to post number number 6.

PermissionToRock
25-02-2008, 17:56
Switching of your modem for 4 hours will do nothing what so ever, However changing the macc address on the device connected to the modem will. IE in the section of your router that says clone mac put in a mac address that has not been used on you system before in the format of 00:00:00:00:00:00 ie 02:03:01:11:22:33 would work for instance

If you have no router then you would need to change the mac address of the Ethernet card connected to the modem. There are programs out there that will allow you to set a new mac address in a Ethernet card just do a search in Google.

If you are going to have a dig at people at least give out the correct information or you make yourself look a <edit Rob: deleted> .

Ensure that after changing you mac address you reboot you modem so it can pickup the new mac address

Thank you so much, i could kiss you:luv:, thanks to everyone who has replyed, i love you all:D

MovedGoalPosts
25-02-2008, 18:14
Thank you so much, i could kiss you:luv:,

Have you seen what he looks like :Sprint:

Sirius
25-02-2008, 18:16
Have you seen what he looks like :Sprint:

Careful :)

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Thank you so much, i could kiss you:luv:, thanks to everyone who has replyed, i love you all:D

Glad to have been of help :)

Toto
25-02-2008, 18:46

Good luck with that. :)

boroboi
26-02-2008, 10:39
proper trackers dont do sign ups!

Well why dont you stick to your slow **** public trackers and let us private users enjoy full bandwidth :) :dozey::dozey:

PermissionToRock
26-02-2008, 15:08
You dont know how grateful i am, thankyou so much, and out of curiosity what does he look like :P

Sirius
26-02-2008, 17:00
You dont know how grateful i am, thankyou so much, and out of curiosity what does he look like :P

You dont want to know :LOL:

mushroom77
27-02-2008, 08:14
Well why dont you stick to your slow **** public trackers and let us private users enjoy full bandwidth :) :dozey::dozey:

innit ;)