PDA

View Full Version : just activated 20mbs

kingabs
21-02-2008, 14:52
This is so poor i was activated 2 days ago and cant seem to download any faster than 150k i was on Titanadsl and adsl provider and was hitting 850k on downloads much faster than the crap 20mbs cable service.
Just hope the virgin engineer turns up i have an engineer booked for 1-4pm today.
Anyone else had this?

xspeedyx
21-02-2008, 14:59
Its sounds like your UBR could be overloaded.

What I would suggest is use tcp optimzer, if you have a router connect your modem directly to ur pc and check ur speed

chickendippers
21-02-2008, 15:26
Run through this lot: http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php

Sometimes there can be something wrong with your computer causing slow speed that only a complete format can fix.

EvilRoySlade
21-02-2008, 15:54
Sometimes there can be something wrong with your computer causing slow speed that only a complete format can fix.

This is sound advice kingabs. After my 20Mb upgrade I was having a terrible time of it and tried all the optimizers and tweaks under the sun. However only a full format resolved my problem. So I suggest backing up what you need and reinstalling Windows bud.

jcuk
21-02-2008, 20:02
backing up and reformatting is quite daunting for people. If you have a pc purchased from the likes of pc world and such, you may have got recovery disks which restore the machine to its new install as it were when it came out the factory, a re-format would always be recommended, its helped me many a time!

On your downloads the max speed your gonna download at should look like 2400kb/s

No lower than 1500kb/s really. (2.4Mb/s / 1.5Mb/s) respectivly.

Also lookout for where you download from, if your downloading from an american website, check its bandwidth, always depends on the servers upload speed.

Oh and whats your postcode? (just first 3 letters, i.e. BL6)

kingabs
21-02-2008, 23:30
hello

Tried all the above also have a duel boot system xp and vista home prem 32bit also tried with different routers wireless cards lan cards you name i done it.
However the engineers visit was pleasent as he replaced the modem and added a 3 and a 4 attenuator. i will try formating and just installing xp on the weekend.
ps
engineer took my mobile number and gave me his and said he will forward to a broadband engineer tomorrow to follow up! big hope but i got his number so lets hope i get this sorted. my post code is DE23
ps

what is UBR?

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

my modem stats

down stream

Downstream Lock: Locked
Downstream Channel Id: 2
Downstream Frequency: 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation: QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate: 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth: taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level: -9.6 dBmV
Downstream SNR: 33.7 dB

upstream

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 42800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 47.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

XFS03
22-02-2008, 00:31
Have you checked that your modem has the correct config file for 20 megs?
Have a look at the Operation config page to see if the maximum downstream data rate is set to 20480000.

kingabs
22-02-2008, 00:59
yup its set to 20480000

xspeedyx
22-02-2008, 20:27
Well that shows ur on 20MB

kingabs
23-02-2008, 00:14
well well well
another engineer came around today as promised by the previous guy wow!
that engineer just told me the truth that congestion is effcting my service and that my area is going to recieve 2 UBR's 1st or 2nd week april.
What is a ubr kinda forgot to ask?

Druchii
23-02-2008, 00:28
well well well
another engineer came around today as promised by the previous guy wow!
that engineer just told me the truth that congestion is effcting my service and that my area is going to recieve 2 UBR's 1st or 2nd week april.
What is a ubr kinda forgot to ask?
Universal Boradband Router, and if he was telling the truth you'll see 20mb anytime of the day. But, 2 months crap service, for a possible upgrade of service? Upto you if you stay or not. Remember you have a period in which you may cancel, i think this is 28 days.

kingabs
23-02-2008, 01:46
This engineer seemed to be genuine also gave me his mobile number so we might be doing some private network installations. Just have to wait till april i guess.

ceedee
23-02-2008, 03:16
In your position, I'd consider contacting retentions and, very politely, explaining that VM were not capable of supplying you with the 20Mb service at the time you signed up for it. The sales staff misled you and you are very upset that they could be so unethical.

Then suggest that, as you will probably only be able to get a 4Mb connection (if you're lucky) until VM supposedly install new equipment in April, you shouldn't have to pay anything until they can reliably supply you with the service as contracted.

Or alternatively you'll pass the matter over to Trading Standards, who will not be impressed that VM are selling a service they should know they can't supply.

Quam256
23-02-2008, 06:58
What make and model of modem do you have ?

xspeedyx
23-02-2008, 09:11
In your position, I'd consider contacting retentions and, very politely, explaining that VM were not capable of supplying you with the 20Mb service at the time you signed up for it. The sales staff misled you and you are very upset that they could be so unethical.

Then suggest that, as you will probably only be able to get a 4Mb connection (if you're lucky) until VM supposedly install new equipment in April, you shouldn't have to pay anything until they can reliably supply you with the service as contracted.

Or alternatively you'll pass the matter over to Trading Standards, who will not be impressed that VM are selling a service they should know they can't supply.

However this is treated as a fault and vm have set dates so they are gonna fix the problem the only thing trading standards would look at is the time but as vm are doing upgrade on a hell of a lot of ubrs trading standards wouldnt say that much

kingabs
23-02-2008, 11:18
Thanks for the info! I did contact the retentions team and considering i have 12 months and free telephone line rental for £29 per month they knocked another £8 off per month for the next 6 months.
ps the modem i have is the little black one that says virgin media on the front i thinks its the upgrade to the little blue ntl one.