PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie "please"

abaddon
20-02-2008, 23:35
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on this forum and is a reqest for a little help please. I have decided to upgrade from a USB connection to my cable modem to an ethernet connection. So I've bought a TP LINK TG 3269 pci card, installed it, installed the driver, told my AVG firewall its OK, plugged it in and zilch, no communication between pc and modem. I get a "local area connection error" saying "a network cable is not connected". The e/net card has l.e.d's on the back which are not lit.
My immeadiate thoughts are a faulty e/net cable or the wrong sort "twisted" or "straight" I don't know how to tell, (mines' blue :shocked:( the cable that is :))), its the one which was supplied with the modem.
I am a former NTL customer and my modem is an E08C007 model.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance Jim.

MovedGoalPosts
20-02-2008, 23:45
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

Only one cable USB or ethernet should be connected to the modem. When you change over, the modem must be powered off, then allowed to reboot before you start up the PC. Without this the modem will not see the change.

Most ethernet cables are straight through, but unless you have a tester, you won't be able to prove that easily. If it was supplied by Virgin Media, when your modem was installed then probably it will be straight.

cleshe
21-02-2008, 02:09
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on this forum and is a reqest for a little help please. I have decided to upgrade from a USB connection to my cable modem to an ethernet connection. So I've bought a TP LINK TG 3269 pci card, installed it, installed the driver, told my AVG firewall its OK, plugged it in and zilch, no communication between pc and modem. I get a "local area connection error" saying "a network cable is not connected". The e/net card has l.e.d's on the back which are not lit.
My immeadiate thoughts are a faulty e/net cable or the wrong sort "twisted" or "straight" I don't know how to tell, (mines' blue :shocked:( the cable that is :))), its the one which was supplied with the modem.
I am a former NTL customer and my modem is an E08C007 model.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance Jim.

If the leds on your card are not lit, it would seem either the card is not seated properly or the driver has not installed correctly.
Have a look in Device manager to see if your card is showing.

dev
21-02-2008, 05:01
If the leds on your card are not lit, it would seem either the card is not seated properly or the driver has not installed correctly.
Have a look in Device manager to see if your card is showing.

aren't the lights only there to show there is a cable present and there is also something on the end of the cable. without drivers, as long as the card is in fine, at least one of the lights should be lit (usually there is 2, 1 for cable detection, 1 for transmitting data)

abaddon
21-02-2008, 17:28
Thanks for your replys guys,
The modem was off and USB disconnected when the e/net was connected. The device manager says everything is fine, no conflicts and the driver is working OK. The card has 4 l.e.d's on it 10 meg, 100 meg and 1000 meg indicators and a full duplex indicator, none of which are lit.
I've done the ipconfig release and renew thing in case it helped, it did'nt. Does the cable run pin 1 to pin 1 , pin 2 to pin2 etc? if so I can check it with a M/meter for possible breaks other than that I'm a bit lost.

Thanks again Jim.

MovedGoalPosts
21-02-2008, 19:19
If you have been using USB, there is a possibility that is interfering with the ethernet setup.

To start with, make sure (for testing purposes, you can re-enable later) any firewalls are off. Disable the USB connection in Network Connections (you might actually need to delete it, but try disable first). Make sure that the properties for the network connection via ethernet show it as enabled, and the connections properties TCP/IP is set to auto detect.

Cammy
21-02-2008, 19:41
If there is no lights, then i would try a different cable.

If you have an xbox 360, try the cable that come with that, or try a friends working cable.

If you haven't already that is :)

jcuk
21-02-2008, 19:52
Id also recomment trying another cable.

One more thing, is the enet light on the modem on? and are there leds around your e-net port on the back of your modem?

abaddon
21-02-2008, 19:53
Hello,
I've checked the continuity of the cable with a meter and its OK, so I've decided to give up as my patience has run out. The fact that it refuses to acknowledge the cable and theres no life in the l.e.d's make me think its a duff one. I shall however try again when I have bought another.
Thankyou for all your help, and now I have found this forum I'm sure I'll be back.

All the best Jim.

jcuk
21-02-2008, 20:24
Good luck man!,

Could be an issue with modem, its known to happen you know! (perhaps trying plugging e.net cable into another e.net enabled device? just to see if lleds come on..

J

techyguy4
22-02-2008, 01:00
take out the power cable from the modem and plug it back in. keep a track of the enet light, if it flashes or not. If it flashed even for a fraction of second means that the enet port is working fine. If it didnt then its the time to call tech. support for a new modem. (call charges will be refunded). If the light worked then try changing the duplex settings of the NIC.

good luck :-)

jaycee
22-02-2008, 09:39
The fact that it's a gigabit ethernet card may cause problems depending on what chipset the card's based on.

You would be best getting a 10/100 only card to be safe I think.

abaddon
22-02-2008, 21:25
Hello again,
The cards out and back in its box ready to be returned tommorow.I can confirm that the modems e/net light showed absolutely no sign of life in the several dozen times I powered it up.
As for it being a gigabit card, I just bought what I thought would have the best capabilities (y'know bigger number = better/faster) sorry if I'm showing my ignorence :dunce:.
I'm afraid I can't find which chipset it uses, but I have just noticed that the instructions say that it should be connected with "twisted pair cables".
Also if it had worked, would I have had to change any of my settings or told it my IP address or anything?

Thanks again JIM.

xspeedyx
22-02-2008, 23:00
If it had wrk the nic card would have automatically been assign a ip adress only reason for you to have to change the detials is if you ned a static ip