PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Speed Problems

PAT.DAZ
20-02-2008, 23:31
HELLO EVERYONE,
i have just joined the forum as i have been reading some of your posts
i am having bad speed problems i live in manchester, i am on the virgin 4 meg package but i am very lucky if i get half a meg most days now for about 5 weeks, i have foned tech support etc and was just getting fobbed off by tech support etc,
today i foned agian to be told that they will send me a new modem by post and i will have to register the mac adress, but they coudnt find any faults doing there tests
i have the grey modem had it around 5 years now but they said there is no problems with modem
can anyone help me find out what is actually happening virgin are not very helpful anymore, at least ntl where helpful when they 1st started, but latly its all daft excuses
i do not have there fone service only there broadband so it costs me a fortune when i have to ring them which is out of order
thanks for reading
pat

Callumpy
21-02-2008, 00:07
HELLO EVERYONE,
i am having bad speed problems i live in manchester, i am on the virgin 4 meg package but i am very lucky if i get half a meg most days now for about 5 weeks, i have foned tech support etc and was just getting fobbed off by tech support etc,
today i foned agian to be told that they will send me a new modem by post and i will have to register the mac adress, but they coudnt find any faults doing there tests
i have the grey modem had it around 5 years now but they said there is no problems with modem
can anyone help me find out what is actually happening virgin are not very helpful anymore, at least ntl where helpful when they 1st started, but latly its all daft excuses
i do not have there fone service only there broadband so it costs me a fortune when i have to ring them which is out of order
thanks for reading
pat

When i was on virgin broadband it was very slow for me, i live in derbyshire, not too far away. i was on a 8mb ADSL package and i was also lucky to get half a meg

cleshe
21-02-2008, 03:01
HELLO EVERYONE,
thanks for reading
pat

I too had the old silver modem(120), which is I presume what you mean. I also have the 4meg package, and suffered poor speeds.
I had the modem swapped for a 255 model, though by an engineer not self service.
Since then I have had consistent speeds of 3.5 or above.
Hope your new modem does as much for you. Good luck.
PS. You would have needed a modem change anyway when/ if they upgrade you to 10 meg.
You should have asked for the cost of your call to be creditted to you.

Richy99
21-02-2008, 11:21
When i was on virgin broadband it was very slow for me, i live in derbyshire, not too far away. i was on a 8mb ADSL package and i was also lucky to get half a meg

ADSL and cable are completely different and the OP is using cable not ADSL

PAT.DAZ
21-02-2008, 13:20
Thanks For The Replys,
Yes Im Hoping My Swapped Modem Gives Me Better Speeds Supossed To Get It In The Morning
Thanks AgaIn
Ps Is The 255 Model, Black In Color If It Is Thats Probly What My Brother Got And His Speeds Been Constant And High SiNCE He Changed
Thanks
Pat

Cammy
21-02-2008, 22:53
Are the traffic limit times from 4pm to 9pm?

I've been put to 1mb from 2mb, but its nearly 10pm now and i'm still on 1mb :confused::td:

rickyg01
21-02-2008, 22:56

I've been put to 1mb from 2mb, but its nearly 10pm now and i'm still on 1mb :confused::td:

its set for 5 hours from when it kicked in,

weesteev
21-02-2008, 22:57

The traffic management takes place between 4-9pm and last for 5 hours if you are traffic shaped.

Hope that helps

Cammy
21-02-2008, 23:03
The traffic management takes place between 4-9pm and last for 5 hours if you are traffic shaped.

Hope that helps

Oh i see, thanks ;)

No idea when i was traffic shaped tho, moms been downloading Waterloo Road off iplayer :o: :td:

alferret
21-02-2008, 23:36
Oh i see, thanks ;)

No idea when i was traffic shaped tho, moms been downloading Waterloo Road off iplayer :o: :td:

Nothing wrong with waterloo road, lots wrong with iplayer.

Cammy
21-02-2008, 23:42
Nothing wrong with waterloo road, lots wrong with iplayer.

I would say you have got that one the wrong way round ! :p: