PDA

View Full Version : Changing my IP address

xero01uk
20-02-2008, 09:56
firstly let me say that ive done nothing dodgy i just cant access a website, due to me being IP banned www.railsimulator.com

anyway im looking for a way of getting a new IP address, ive tried powercycling my modem and router and no joy

anyone help please?

xspeedyx
20-02-2008, 09:57
You could set yourself a static IP or powercycle does work but need to leave the power to the modem and router off for a few hrs

xero01uk
20-02-2008, 10:05
how do i do that?

TehTech
20-02-2008, 10:07
You could set yourself a static IP or powercycle does work but need to leave the power to the modem and router off for a few hrs

And even then he will ONLY get a new IP address IF someone else has used his, if not it will use the 1 he has got now, that is unless someone new jumps online & takes his old IP.

xspeedyx
20-02-2008, 10:08
check portwarding .com I think and check ur router and do it that way I had to do it for my torrents to work on my dlink

---------- Post added at 10:08 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

And even then he will ONLY get a new IP address IF someone else has used his, if not it will use the 1 he has got now, that is unless someone new jumps online & takes his old IP.

That why I said about setting up a static ip address aswell

xero01uk
20-02-2008, 10:17
how is fowwarding my ports going to help me? :S

lostandconfused
20-02-2008, 10:23
Your IP is leased for a certain amount of time, but when that lease runs out, more often than not it will renew it with the same one, unless someone else gets it the same time yours runs out.

Leaving the modem off for a few days should get you a new IP but its not guaranteed

MovedGoalPosts
20-02-2008, 10:41
If you are IP banned, and it's not your fault, can you not contact the admins of the site asking for the erroneous ban to be lifted? IP bans are great as a short term measure, but as your enquiry shows, they don't work long term as dynamic IPs can and do eventually change.

Easiest way of changin your IP is to change the details of the device that is attached to the modem. With a router that can be easy, just change the mac address clone details. When you reboot modem, it can treat that as a new device which often triggers a new IP, but only if a new IP is available.

Of course if it is actually you that has been banned, an IP change is unlikley to solve yoru problem. Most website admins have ways and means of detecting users who have previously been banned.

BarFly
20-02-2008, 11:06
change the Mac address on your router, that will get you a new ip lease...

boroboi
20-02-2008, 11:10
You could also use a proxy program, havent used it in a while and i forget the name, but it connects to alsorts of proxy's around the world and often lets you circumvent ip bans.

xspeedyx
20-02-2008, 11:32
GOOGLE free proxies www.hidemyass.com is a good proxy

GreyWolf
20-02-2008, 11:41
I use SMAC V.1.2 has came in handy a few times. ;)

xero01uk
20-02-2008, 12:11
nice site thanks darth!!

Graham M
20-02-2008, 12:48
I use SMAC V.1.2 has came in handy a few times. ;)

But absolutely pointless if you are behind a router!