PDA

View Full Version : Speed Again

chrome
18-02-2008, 23:21
Hi all,
I live in stoke on trent st1 area, i am having problems regarding speed again. I have a 20mg connection :mad: but i am now where near that. my router has been taken out and the moden is connected directly to the computer. Made no difference. i have seen people say that speed tests are no good so i downloaded some test files from nettest.virginm.net, here are the results.
10.0MB in 20 secs / transfer rate 512KB/sec
10.0MB in 16 secs / transfer rate 640KB/sec
25.0MB in 1m 3sec / transfer rate 404KB/sec
25.0MB in 47 sec / transfer rate 544KB/sec
Before i ring virgin tomorrow are the any other test that i can carryout to backup my case. many thanks

applez
18-02-2008, 23:41
Was about to post a new topic myself but figured if there was an existing thread what's the point!

Over the weekend I noticed that my normally excellent connection (I'd say 95% of the time I have no issues which is great) had suddenly slowed to below a 5mb connection. I'm on a 20mb package.

Right off the bat I'll say this - I work for an adsl ISP and I read forum posts every day about people moaning about their speeds. I always said it would take a great deal for me to "join" them so here I am!

Normally when stuff like this happens it disappears as quick as it started, I've been keeping an eye out on the server status pages for the past few days to check outages in the luton area - nothing.
It's a really odd issue, in that if I run a speedtest from speedtest.net it comes back with a very respectable result yet everything else seems slowed down. Browsing is ok, provided I'm not downloading anything, newsgroup downloads will not go any faster than 320kb/s and using the test link mentioned above the speed once again seems to get to 320kb/s at best.
It seems like the speed is being intentionally limited. I've read up extensively on traffic shaping and management and this still happens outside of peak times.
I think even if a virgin representative could tell me either way if it was related to a known outage or it was because of excessive usage it would certainly put me at ease.
I've not contacted customer support yet, should the issue go on any longer I'll have no choice but to do so!

Anyhow, I suppose the whole reason for this was, has anyone else seen something like this within the past 3-4 days?
And in addition, on the off chance a virgin rep who does browse the forums from time to time reads this, I would be really thankful just for clarification there is a known fault condition in the luton area, I got myself heavily worked up over nothing a couple of years back because there was an outage in my area and I thought the guy I spoke to was lying seeing as there was no official notice on the service outages page - turns out there was one but it wasn't affecting enough end users to be posted on the notices page, which after coming on here like a bull in a china shop about the whole ordeal understandably left me with egg on my face! So if someone could spare me that bit you will have my thanks!!

Anyhow, rambled far too much here! any more speed people so we can see a common issue!

Thanks!

xspeedyx
18-02-2008, 23:42
are you sure some of the test u did you wasnt stm'd

chrome
18-02-2008, 23:45
stm'd ?

Bullfrog
19-02-2008, 00:07
I am getting the same kind of problem, on (L) package DSL reports speed tests are giving me from 487 to 629 kbps this evening downstream and half that up. I am in Northants NN10 but I often seem to be effected by Luton glitches.

Its like having 512k again.

I have been having problems for longer than a few days, its been getting worse since a week or two back. Gaming is getting messed up with lag which is why I tested the line.

Obviously when gaming is badly affected that is serious! I dont want them to think I am happy with this as it is, it is supposed to be 4Mb and I think I am paying over the odds for it, which I will phone about tomorrow, but I can also understand if its a bad patch due to some technical sorting, but I would like to know.

iFrankie
19-02-2008, 01:10
im only getting 8mb speed out of 20 usually its 15 -20

aMac
19-02-2008, 02:10
I'm also in Stoke-on-Trent, and while during the peak times I am not so concerned about receiving the full (up to) 20meg, right now I am downloading at 600ish-k/sec, and that is pretty poor for this time of the night.

I also haven't even been using the computer for a good 5 hours before this, so it's not like I should have had my speed shaped, but it sure feels like I have.

iFrankie
19-02-2008, 02:16
exactly the same here now why is it so low

usher
19-02-2008, 15:11
Noticed last night that my 4 meg appeared to be a 1 meg connection for around 4 hours, repeated tests came up with around 970 - 980kps (Redditch)
It was so precise that I was convinced I had been limited altho if so it would be to 2meg but I had only been browsing holiday websites:mad: