PDA

View Full Version : PS3 network on Virgin media

betsy
16-02-2008, 10:14
Hello, I'm new and could do with a bit of advice.

I have a 2meg Virgin Media connection. I currently have a BT voyager wireless router plugged into it which works fine with my PC and laptop.

I can sign into the PS network and play but I will get diconnected randomly or it will freeze up when my laptop is still working fine.

I have opened the relevent gaming ports on my BT wireless router but does anyone know if this is an option on my Virgin broadband modem? If so can anyone suggest how I can find its IP to check any settings?
It is made by WebStar (old Telewest customer) if thats any use.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

multiskilled
16-02-2008, 11:19
Easy at the top of this page there is a link called connection click on that.

betsy
16-02-2008, 11:57
Easy at the top of this page there is a link called connection click on that.

Wow I never saw that, thank you.
However, the IP given it there only takes me to my wireless router and not the Virgin box.
Would it be best to connect without my router and try to this again to see if it gives me a different IP?

Graham M
16-02-2008, 12:00
There is no Firewall in the residential Cable Modem

betsy
16-02-2008, 14:00
There is no Firewall in the residential Cable Modem

Sorry I may seem dumb but what does this mean? Are you saying a can't get in to the setting because it has no firewall

SamH182
18-02-2008, 20:02
Have you tried opening some ports?
Google PS3 port forwarding because I cannot remember the ports off by heart:)

betsy
19-02-2008, 08:34
Have you tried opening some ports?
Google PS3 port forwarding because I cannot remember the ports off by heart:)

Thanks for your reply.
I have opened up the gaming ports needed on my wireless router but I was hoping to do the same on the Virgin modem but I don't know its IP to get in and do this.

I have tried various software like angry IP scanner to find all of the active IP addresses on my home network but for some reason it won't find the Virgin modem.

I tried also tried taking away the wirless router so I am directly connected to the Virgin modem and I did an IP scan again, I got 38 live IP addresses all in the format of 192.168.1.xxx dudley.blueyonder.co.uk

I assume that all of these IP's found are pinging Virgin's data centre as when I try to connect to them to see if it is the modem I just get a blank screen.:mad:

Tod
19-02-2008, 10:40
Thanks for your reply.
I have opened up the gaming ports needed on my wireless router but I was hoping to do the same on the Virgin modem but I don't know its IP to get in and do this.

You don't need to do this, the modem does not restrict anything, it all comes through.

betsy
19-02-2008, 10:48
You don't need to do this, the modem does not restrict anything, it all comes through.

Oh I see. Are there no settings on the Virgin modem that can be changed (I would like to be nosey also!)

So, will it be my wireless routers settings I need to tweak?

Tod
19-02-2008, 10:59
Oh I see. Are there no settings on the Virgin modem that can be changed (I would like to be nosey also!)

So, will it be my wireless routers settings I need to tweak?

Yes that's right, only VM can access your modem.

betsy
19-02-2008, 11:18

Ok, well I've already opened the ports I thought I needed to play Resistance Fall of Man, I will go and recheck them.

Is there anything else I could try? I have even enabled DMZ to get to the bottom of it.

Tod
19-02-2008, 11:50
When you go into test your network settings on your PS3, what Nat result do you get?
If NAT 2 you will be OK. NAT 3 you still have some port problems.

betsy
19-02-2008, 12:06
When you go into test your network settings on your PS3, what Nat result do you get?
If NAT 2 you will be OK. NAT 3 you still have some port problems.

This is what gets me, I get and always have got NAT2. There doesn't seem to be anything obviously wrong. Maybe the Playstation network doesn't like me.

betsy
22-02-2008, 11:56

192.169.100.1 try it, then you will see that Virgin are not the only ones who can access the modem. May only be info in there but I knew there had to be a way and thats all I wanted!

spaff
07-12-2008, 17:11
192.169.100.1 try it, then you will see that Virgin are not the only ones who can access the modem. May only be info in there but I knew there had to be a way and thats all I wanted!

login is root for both - just to let u know if u get stuck like i was

moaningmags
07-12-2008, 17:14
Anyone can access their modem config pages on 192.168.100.1
Ambit modems require a login, root for both as spaff said.