PDA

View Full Version : 2nd broadband line

jimbo1968
15-02-2008, 13:33
Can anyone tell me how much it costs to get 2 VM BB connections, if it's possible even. I only need 2MB.

Also, if i take out 4MB now, would it be upgraded to 10MB ie the 4MB service will be disappearing suppose.

TIA

To clarify a bit. The house has 1 VM connection at the moment (and 1 BT). VM will be cancelled soon as the account holder has moved out. I would like 2 cable IP addresses at my disposal.

BenMcr
15-02-2008, 13:58
You can only have one VM modem per property

If you take out 4Mb you will get the 10Mb upgrade

HaroldT
15-02-2008, 14:17
I'm in the Watford area; can you give me an inspired guess as to when this upgrade to 10mbs might happen ?

HaroldT

Hugh
15-02-2008, 14:28
Jimbo

you can have 1 x VM and 1 x BT (or other supplier) BB - I have done this before (keeping home and work separated)

terryb
16-02-2008, 04:32
couldnt agree more, ive ordered an adsl line on bt to run a server with a static ip address. freeing up my vm 20 meg free for househould usage, laptop, gaming etc, that way if i download somthing nasty it wont directly affect my server.

nemesis01
16-02-2008, 09:18
You can have 2 VM BB connections, they just have to be in different names, I moved in with my brother a few months ago and we each have our own seperate BB accounts and lines. Maybe they have changed it recently, I dunno....

Nidge
16-02-2008, 09:37
You can only have one VM modem per property

If you take out 4Mb you will get the 10Mb upgrade

I had 2 VM BB connections at my old house, if you have the phone line they might need to install a new cable from the box to your house, I needed the new cable because I had the phone, TV, BB. The new connection was for the eldest lads bedroom, I had a router but something was causing it not to send a signal to his wireless card.

jcuk
16-02-2008, 10:38
You cant have 2 VM BB connections anymore unfortunately :(

It used to be on our older billing systems you could have 2 accounts per address and accounts were assigned to people.

Now our new icoms billing system assigns account numbers to addresses instead of people. logical way of doing it i guess, but it means you cannot have 2 active accounts
at 1 address, it would have to be listed on royal mail as flat 1 .. flat 2 if u did want that.

So in a sense it is possible, but only if you convince royal mail to put it as u seperate adresses and also assuming the network has capability to service twice into a property in that area (only 1 cable comes from the street to side of your house)

J x

TehTech
16-02-2008, 10:54
Can anyone tell me how much it costs to get 2 VM BB connections, if it's possible even. I only need 2MB.

Also, if i take out 4MB now, would it be upgraded to 10MB ie the 4MB service will be disappearing suppose.

Your post is confusing, in 1 sentence you say you only need 2Mb, but then you ask about 4Mb, its either 1 or the other mate...

HaroldT
16-02-2008, 11:13
I enquired yesterday and this morning I have received a notification from Virgin Media telling me that "we're upgrading you from 4mb to....10mb absolutely free". It adds " the upgrade will start during February and will roll out region by region until the end of the summer". Good news huh ! Shows how powerful this forum is ?

jimbo1968
16-02-2008, 17:07

It used to be on our older billing systems you could have 2 accounts per address and accounts were assigned to people.

Now our new icoms billing system assigns account numbers to addresses instead of people. logical way of doing it i guess, but it means you cannot have 2 active accounts
at 1 address, it would have to be listed on royal mail as flat 1 .. flat 2 if u did want that.

So in a sense it is possible, but only if you convince royal mail to put it as u seperate adresses and also assuming the network has capability to service twice into a property in that area (only 1 cable comes from the street to side of your house)

J x

"Computer says No". I notice a lot service companies seem to have inflexible computer systems/processes.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Your post is confusing, in 1 sentence you say you only need 2Mb, but then you ask about 4Mb, its either 1 or the other mate...

Confusing it may be, but there is nothing contradictory about only needing 2Mb and being interested in 10Mb.

ceedee
17-02-2008, 12:34

The difference is that Royal Mail have human beings on the end of their service delivery who are empowered to make independent decisions where appropriate. So you could spell the name of the street backwards and a letter will probably still get delivered correctly.
Just because they only list *one* address per propertly does *not* mean that's the only one they'll accept!

So what's going to happen when new occupants move into a property before VM's billing has managed to finalise the account of the previous subscriber? Tell them to call back in a month once the last fella's cheque has cleared?

Sounds like a typically stupid, ill thought-out, bean-counter's idea of "logical" to me!

ps. If you really are a VM employee, you ought to take the time to explain how you get basic things like the STM details wrong?
(Link to thread: "Capped again 8-45pm 14th feb" (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33628572-capped-again-8-45pm-14th-feb.html))

caroline
17-02-2008, 18:46
Hi

we had two lines in our house, they have to be in different names and accounts and they took the feed from outside and of the feed that runs into my connection and it worked fine i was on 10 meg at the time and the other feed was on 2 meg and i can assure you it worked perfectly.

BenMcr
17-02-2008, 21:15
So what's going to happen when new occupants move into a property before VM's billing has managed to finalise the account of the previous subscriber? Tell them to call back in a month once the last fella's cheque has cleared?

Sounds like a typically stupid, ill thought-out, bean-counter's idea of "logical" to me!

If at any stage someone leaves a property without shutting down an account, the old account can be marked as 'gone away' and new details can be entered before the old account has completely closed.

The old account holder will be sent a letter to confirm that have left the property (in case someone tries to do it maliciously)

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

Hi

we had two lines in our house, they have to be in different names and accounts and they took the feed from outside and of the feed that runs into my connection and it worked fine i was on 10 meg at the time and the other feed was on 2 meg and i can assure you it worked perfectly.

This is no longer allowed as has already been said.

Only 1 account holder per property

techyguy4
17-02-2008, 21:15
hi jcuk,

just for your info, I have seen two modems in the same icoms account.So there is no need for two icoms account but the two billing codes can be added on the same account. AFTER ALL THE CUSTOMER IS READY TO PAY.
:D

BenMcr
17-02-2008, 21:19
hi jcuk,

just for your info, I have seen two modems in the same icoms account.So there is no need for two icoms account but the two billing codes can be added on the same account. AFTER ALL THE CUSTOMER IS READY TO PAY.
:D

It is also Virgin's company policy not to allow more than one modem per property