PDA

View Full Version : Loss of conectivity after Ambit200 swapped for Ambit255

gazola
15-02-2008, 11:46
Hey All,

I have had the silver Ambit 200 (NTL Branded) cable modem since first installtion and up untill a few months ago it was working fine. After intermitant connection troubles an egineer visited and swapped it for the newer black (VIRGIN braned) Ambit 255. Since then i have had no connectivity at all.

The problems before the swap were every now and again (no pattern) the cable would fail, a simple power cycle of cable modem and router sorted this. After the swap, while engineer was still here, new cable modem came up ok and pings to bbc.co.uk and google.co.uk worked so was happy and he left.

After this i realised that pings were the only traffic getting through, normal web browsing was a no go, even a telnet to pop.ntlworld.com 110 failed.

I am currently using the Ambit 100 and having to power cycle it every day or so, only to have it fail to come back to life at all today, the RDY light continues to flash and doesn't become steady.

The setup i have it the cable modem is conencted by ethernet to my Linksys BFESR81 router and that to my PCs. There is no other change to the network other than the cable modem.

Any help / ideas / posible solution to this problem will be grealty reciveced and appresheated.

Thanks in advanced, Gavin Hatton

Ben B
15-02-2008, 12:18
Hi,

connect the ambit 255 modem back up and then give tech support a ring on 09062121111 and explain the problem to them, what the problem is, when it happened, how long, etc etc and they will take a look at your modem from their end and help you sort it or send a technician to fix the problem if they need to. If you are worried about call charges then don't worry because if the problem is at their end they will refund the charges.

:)~Ben B~:)

TehTech
15-02-2008, 12:34
Hey All,

I have had the silver Ambit 200 (NTL Branded) cable modem since first installtion and up untill a few months ago it was working fine. After intermitant connection troubles an egineer visited and swapped it for the newer black (VIRGIN braned) Ambit 255. Since then i have had no connectivity at all.

The problems before the swap were every now and again (no pattern) the cable would fail, a simple power cycle of cable modem and router sorted this. After the swap, while engineer was still here, new cable modem came up ok and pings to bbc.co.uk and google.co.uk worked so was happy and he left.

After this i realised that pings were the only traffic getting through, normal web browsing was a no go, even a telnet to pop.ntlworld.com 110 failed.

I am currently using the Ambit 100 and having to power cycle it every day or so, only to have it fail to come back to life at all today, the RDY light continues to flash and doesn't become steady.

The setup i have it the cable modem is conencted by ethernet to my Linksys BFESR81 router and that to my PCs. There is no other change to the network other than the cable modem.

Any help / ideas / posible solution to this problem will be grealty reciveced and appresheated.

Thanks in advanced, Gavin Hatton

You can ONLY have ONE Cable Modem MAC address per account, so use your original modem and call up Tech Support and fill them in on the problems.

gazola
15-02-2008, 13:45
OK I understand now. Is this not something the engineer should have done? I will call them any way, thank you very much for such a helpfull and quick replay.

Thanks

TehTech
15-02-2008, 14:08
OK I understand now. Is this not something the engineer should have done? I will call them any way, thank you very much for such a helpfull and quick replay.

Thanks

Yes it IS something the engineer should've done, but then again thinking about it, how are you using your newer modem? either you should/would have been told to call up tech support so they can update the MAC address, or the engineer should've done it.

But in anyway, I really hope you get things sorted out and you hopefully(???) enjoy your service!

gazola
15-02-2008, 14:35
Yes it IS something the engineer should've done, but then again thinking about it, how are you using your newer modem? either you should/would have been told to call up tech support so they can update the MAC address, or the engineer should've done it.

But in anyway, I really hope you get things sorted out and you hopefully(???) enjoy your service!

I have called the number provided above to no avail, i was refered to 150, and from there refered to Non-Cable sales (???) and from there to another department who informed me that during today there have been attempts to change the MAC address and that she was unable to, she also infomred that this change should take 24 hours and if the new modem is not working after that to call back. I hope it is as she was the only (semi)helpful person and I don't know what department she was in or how to contact her.

As for me being able to post these threads i'm using a friends connection as in terms of internet connectivity we are service less for the mean time.

jcuk
15-02-2008, 15:00
tried plugging the machine directly into the modem?